Sarah Palin is not a Racist!

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Can we Black people get a grip? I know this will not be popular among many of my fellow African-Americans, but I'm not motivated to be popular; I'm motivated to speak the truth! What is it with Black people who cry racism every time someone doesn't do what they want? Why do we accept the victim role so readily? When will we deal with issues as issues and stop reducing everything to a matter of race? Don't get it twisted; I know racism exists, but if we constantly call everything racism to fit our own agenda, who will take us seriously when there's a real situation of racial bias that needs to be dealt with? You ever read The Boy who Cried Wolf?

Sarah Palin is not a racist! Yet Jazz musician, Gregory Charles Royal, has recently filed a federal lawsuit against her. She's accused of violating the law by failing to issue the 2007 Juneteenth Proclamation as set forth by the Alaskan Legislature. Juneteenth is the celebration of the enforcing of emancipation in Texas on June 19, 1865. As of 2008, 29 U.S. states recognize Juneteenth either as a state holiday or state holiday observance. Alaska is one of those states. Nearly 2 years ago, Governor Sarah Palin did not issue a proclamation observing the day. A big deal? Well yes, in the sense that a governor's office must keep up with all its obligations and responsibilities. Sarah Palin admitted that this was "a clerical oversight." But for this she gets called a racist?! This is what we've done to the issue of race. Are you telling me that failure to issue a proclamation gets the same rise out of Blacks as slavery, Jim Crow laws, and lynching? You've got be to be kidding me! Now look, the law states the proclamation should have been issued, but is this worthy of a federal suit? Not unless you have an axe to grind and an agenda to advance.

The saddest part of this, though, is not the horrific, unfair allegations against Sarah Palin, what it says about her. On the contrary, the saddest part of this is what it says about Black people, my own people. And that is this: After all these years since slavery, after all these years since the assassination of Dr. King (41 years ago April 4th), after voting rights, and desegregation, even after electing the first Black president, Black people are still begging other people, "See us; acknowledge us; like us." Haven't we figured out who we are by now? Don't we know that we don't need the proclamation by the Governor of Alaska about something that took place in Texas almost 150 years ago? Her proclamation doesn't make us any more free. Her forgetting to issue it doesn't make us any less free, and isn't this the point? Why can't we celebrate that freedom on our own? Why don't we get it? Why can't the main thing be the main thing?

I have always said--and wholeheartedly believe--that the tragedy of slavery is not what other people believed about us. No, the tragedy of slavery is what it caused us to believe about ourselves. We have yet to shake that victim mentality. The result? God help anyone who gets in our way, looks at us funny, and fails to issue a proclamation. The result? Bogus lawsuits like this one. We are so quick to brand people racists out of fear that we are being taken advantage of and not being acknowledged--always looking for someone else to validate us and tell us we matter, but someone once said, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." And it's true...many of us just don't believe it. If we did, this type of lawsuit would never exist.

DEO,  April 6, 2009 at 6:30 AM

KILL HIM!! KILL HIM!!!

Sarah Palin-Tonya Harding 2012!

Anonymous,  April 6, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Of course we go not need validation from a proclamation to celebrate our history. But if you reaf the complaint, that is not the point. From my understanding, the point is that regardless of the event or occassion, once politicians start failing carry out laws it is a dangerous thing. Instead of Junettenth next time it could be Aids day for example. Also if she is not a racist why doesn't she just issue the proclamation. I think that is why this even made it to court-

My2sense,  April 10, 2009 at 7:25 PM

If people are looking for any label to plant on another, they will always find a reason to do so, no matter how ridiculous. Any "ism" can be found if you are "creative" enough. And THAT friends, is what they do to Sarah. And by "they" I mean anyone from the left. If one had seen this complaint, solo, one would maybe wonder if there is any truth. Problem is, compiled with tons and tons of OTHER ridiculous accusations they are taking Sarah to court about, this is just another attempt to attack her. Adrienne makes her point as articulate as none other to prove her point Sarah Palin is the last person anyone should label "racist".

John M April 11, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I accept that Sarah Palin is not a racist. I additionally accept that she either runs an inept staff, or is herself inept at performing her governmental obligatrions.

On the subject of her non-racist persona, this still brings other issues to light. During the campaign it is documented fact that a few racists did attend her rallies, and felt no shame about looking into a camera and displaying that racism. She was made aware of this and frankly did nothing to disuade it. She made no public statements speaking out against racism, she made no effort to quell that faction of her supporters, and while that does not make you a racist it does bring into question your ethics. Mrs. Palin may very well make the national ticket again, but be warned, she is and always has been her own worst enemy. She is more the root of her own problems, more so than any team of investigators or liberal left media. I know many who welcome her as the choice for the Republican party in 2012, but they are mostly Democrats.

Adrienne April 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM

John M, I wouldn't doubt that "a few racists did attend her rallies," just as I wouldn't doubt that a few sexists attended Obama's rallies. Different kinds of people show up at all kinds of places. Palin has said she didn't hear such remarks. Furthermore, she is certainly not responsible for the SUPPOSED chants of "Kill him!" allegedly made by some stupid person. I am sure, too, that you are just as outraged at the sexist, nasty, filthy, disgusting T-shirts worn by Obama supporters which referred to the fact that a woman was on the Republican ticket. It would be ridiculous, however, for me to assert that it was Obama's fault or that he should be policing these kinds of things while trying to tend to business at the same time. I am also sure you are up in arms about Eminem's sexist, despicable new video demeaning Sarah Palin.

As for Palin maybe running for president, I'm glad the Democrats look forward to it. It goes well with the arrogance they often display--while they continue to rely on big government to help them remain in poverty and destroy their babies. About Palin looking into a camera speaking out against racism, her life speaks out against racism as does her pro-life stance. I wish we would the same.

Anonymous,  April 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM

well Mr John... I see you been brian washed along with the 60 plus million others... I live in Alaska Wasilla to be exact... YOU SPEAK FROM A IGNORANTE STANCE.... Meaning you know NOTHING about our Gov Palin... Except what lying news people tell you... And you actually believe it... Wow dumb and dumber.... I really have no more to say except your not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed are you... GET FACTS OK FACTS... Buy the way the kill him kill him NEVER was said... Tom From Alaska

Lerual April 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Too often people are jumping at the chance of using the term racist when something doesn't go as they want. Is Mr Royal being a sexist and racist when he confronts Governor Palin?