President Obama Bows Publicly Before Saudi King But Not Before King of Kings: National Day of Prayer

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I miss President Bush. Now there's a statement you don't hear everyday. He wasn't the perfect president, after all. We all know that. However, he did accomplish much during his eight years in office. Among those accomplishments, I respect most his stand for the sanctity of life, banning partial birth abortion; his commitment to the continent of Africa, doing more for it than anyone else ever has; and considering it his personal responsibility to keep America from another terrorist attack, which he did. But today, I miss him for another reason.

Tomorrow is the National Day of Prayer. President Bush always took this day very seriously. Every year, Bush invited Christian and Jewish leaders to the East Room of the White House where he gave a short speech and participants prayed. President Obama has decided that he will issue a paper proclamation but will not engage in any other activities to mark the day. He has nixed the formal early morning service and has chosen not to attend a large Catholic prayer breakfast the next morning. Instead, he will pray privately, we are told.

Shirley Dobson, who is the wife of Focus on the Family Founder Dr. James Dobson and the Chair of the National Day of Prayer Task Force, voiced disappointment at the president's refusal to join publicly with so many other Americans to pray. She said, "We are disappointed in the lack of participation by the Obama Administration. At this time in our country's history, we would hope our President would recognize more fully the importance of prayer."

Yes, we would hope. But we'd better place our hope somewhere else. In fact, the theme for this year's National Day of Prayer is "Prayer...America's Hope." It is our only hope.

So, I do miss George Bush today, who, imperfect as he was--as we all are--recognized that we need God, not just for our own selves and our own lives, but for our entire nation. And why not do so boldly? If President Obama can go to foreign countries, publicly bow before the Saudi king, and apologize for the arrogance of America, why can't he stand with people of faith in his own country, publicly bow before the King of Kings, and pray humbly for our nation?

Tomorrow will be the National Day of Prayer with or without the new president's participation, and clearly he has chosen not to be involved. So things will be different this year than they have been in the last eight years, but then again, Obama did promise change. But if it's not change rooted in faith and prayer, it's definitely not change I can believe in.

Conservativelikenoother May 7, 2009 at 1:09 AM

I think many people are really missing President Bush. When he left office, I just could not watch it. President Bush was one of the greatest Presidents we ever had in this country. He stood his ground and for that I respect him, he did not govern according to anyone else but what he felt was best and for that I commend him as well. And now we have Obama. Line slap, for all of the people who voted this upon us.

Ron B May 7, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I too miss Mr. Bush. A man that did not let his power and ego get the best of him. We did not see him on TV every single day with multiple press conferences weekly and always interrupting prime time with his ego. Mr. Bush found Christ later in life and it changed how he did things. He stopped drinking and developed a greater since of leadership. He was far from perfect but kept his promises of a safe America. I did not agree with his spending and not vetoing some bills but I have not seen Americans dying in the streets from a "man-made-disaster" formally known as a terrorist attack.

A paper proclamation from a paper president. What else would one expect. Granted Bush was the only President in recent history to actually publicly respect this National Day of Prayer, Clinton did not nor H.W. Bush but W. established a annual process which could be considered tradition. But Obama wants to back away from anything that Bush did even if it was good.

Peter,  May 7, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Obama also backs away from displays of religious belief in public. Consider his request that Georgetown remove Christian references when he spoke there a few weeks ago. I am not sure which is worse--his request or Georgetown's capitulation.

Anonymous,  May 7, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I don't understand why everyone is so upset - after all this is exactly what we expected from Obama, right? What does he believe, really? He claims to be a Christian? or was it a Muslim? And what would he care about prayer anyway - after all he said he was the "I am" and believes it too - perhaps he is the "Anti christ" the bible talks about; afterall, we are living in the end days. People are following him and believing him (at least the carnally minded people are) or are they? Perhaps American's are having second thoughs about electing Obama and they just don't know what to do now? What I do know is we serve the only True and Living God - our God will expose the truth to us and as long as we keep our eyes on Him, protection will follow (Psalm 91). What Obama didn't realize is that this nation is still "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" and no matter what he tries, failure will come. Christians are getting stronger and beginning to stand up, so my comment is watch out Obama - for God's people are coming against you. Great blog, great conversation!

Anonymous,  May 8, 2009 at 12:23 AM

I have a prophetic word for you my friends. Be of Good courage! Shiloh! Shiloh! Shiloh! Shiloh! Isaiah The Sign of Immanuel
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. 15 He will eat curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right. Isaiah
To Us a Child Is Born For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.I am truly Humbled my True King is comming!!!!!!!!

Linda May 8, 2009 at 6:51 PM

The last time I submitted a comment it was not published in this blog because it was not supportive of much of the thinking that makes this blog what it is. In hopes that my voice will be heard I am submitting again and it will be for the last time as I will no longer read "Motivation Truth". I am sad, very, very sad to see again and again the creator of this blog and the followers of this blog presume to know what is in the President's - or for that matter in anyone's - heart, to ascribe the basest of motives to every move he makes, and to attribute to him some of the worst failings a man can have. I cannot believe that God is pleased with much of what I have read here. Surely a man or woman can stand for the Truth without such mud-slinging. I said it before and I'll say it again: one can observe a man's action and comment on that action. One dare not presume to know what is in a man's heart. This is the great failing of this blog and its followers. I am pro-life, pro-God, pro-Truth and I believe in the great redemption given us through Jesus Christ. Is there anyone out there who can see any merit in what I have said.....not for my sake but for your own.

Anonymous,  May 10, 2009 at 7:03 PM

I can understand you are pro life. Did you now that your tax payers dollars are paying for abortions overseas! Yes President Obama is not pro life! Look at his voting record my friend. I will pray for you as I pray for this President. Educate your self! Really!!! My name is David and I am a Medically retired disabled veteran from service 20 years of Honorable service to this country. It doesnt bother me I spent Long deployments away from my family. Didnt see my kids born. What does bother me a little is the 9 anthrax shot I recieved in 98. Do a study on that! What does bother me is the Government lost my medical records and the Va told me to roll a tennis ball off the back of my kneck. AFter the fact I told the docter My left side of my face was going numb. My hearing was going iI was getting dizzy and throughing up! Outside heathcare! Second opinion saved my life! My dear friend I am a full time minister and have dedicated my life to Christ the homeless. Orphanges. Old age homes and street ministry. And when I have time I preach in local churches and have two sons. And Taught kids in a mega church for 5 years every wed and saturday full time not on payed staff. Well President Obama and his well educated staff came out with a bill to take away outside heath care from every Disabled veteran service connected. Have you ever been in a war zone. Have you ever put a close friend in a body bag. Better yet have you ever seen a man come back to his country without legs or arms. Heard of agent orange! My point is this! Without the outside Health care everything I have done for my country and Children would amount to nothing! My kids wouldnt have a dad! I forgive presiadent Obama and his staff of Highly educated people. But just think with the brain God has given you my friend! Would a American President even think for a moment of denieing the people that gave there lives for America and made more sacrafices for your freedoms for a second? This man did. Was it a mistake? I would rather spell potato wrong. Or How about this! They hammered Bush for his decisions and his bailout program but President obama is hailed from the press, oops forgot to tell you he controls the press! Please pray for him and stop judging the Christians who carry there crosses. If he tried to take away from some one who gave his life for America(Outside heath care). The veterans stormed capital hill and he had to change the policy that would of canned us up under the va which is inaducate! Just think what he is going to take away from you and your family. May God help you! Please educate yourself and study the Shiloh! Report and where the government is really going to rest. Love ya and forgive you. For your Ignorance! When A nation doesnt stand up for righteousness they will be judged. So in reality! Everyone of us will Stand before God and Give a account for every idle words that came out our mouth. But if you would like to continue calling political correct the right way my friend you are already lost. Repent! You cant call something that screams unholy Holy! Have a Beautiful day. Someone just corrected you with truth! And stood for righteousness. And those who God loves He corrects! Please repent and follow God and read Issiah and about Shiloh!

Adrienne May 10, 2009 at 8:45 PM

The comment above this one by Anonymous, I believe, is directed to the comment made by Linda above it.

mcngi2 July 27, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Linda, I also posted a comment., If they don't want Comments - why LIE and tell us to post them>??