The Glacier and Me (incredible pictures)

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Have you ever stood alongside a glacier? Yes, a glacier! Neither had I--until today. April and I decided to hike to Exit Glacier in Seward, Alaska instead of doing the boat ride out to one. I'm so glad we did. The whole experience was breathtaking.

Upon entering the site, we approached the signs that tells you how to handle a bear if you happen to encounter one. One part of the sign tells you to play dead unless the bear starts to eat you! That sent me into waves of laughter. It might as well have said, "Act dead until you're not acting anymore!" Then as we started on the trail, one of the rangers stopped us to let us know that there was some bear activity. We would likely see some and they might get closer than we're comfortable with. Then she gave us some advice on how to handle things. Thank God, we never had to use it!

When I had first seen the glacier from the road, I told April it was NOT a glacier. She assured me it was. As we got closer to it on the hike up, I was amazed at the size of that thing. When we finally got there, I was in absolute awe of it. You know, I'm strange, I guess. Some people see things like I've seen in Alaska in the last week and a half and they require the whole history of it-- and the history of the history of it! I require very few details. I mean, I want to know some things, but just experiencing it is the powerful part to me. Let me know a little something-something, and then let me be free to just breathe it in, you know? As I do, I find myself whispering, "Wow!" or "Thank You, Jesus" because I'm just overwhelmed by it all. That glacier, for example, spoke more than words could to a deep place within me.

Here are some pictures of our experience with Exit Glacier. May it speak to you as well. Please leave a note to share what it says!

After spending Thursday night in Homer and Friday night and Saturday in Seward, I am back in Wasilla for a few days, wondering what I'll get to breathe next. I love it here!

Tanya July 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Adrienne, I KNOW that these pictures do not do justice to the glaciers! In one of those pictures, you and April look like ants against the backdrop! I become more inspired each day by what you're doing as I read yor blogs and view your pictures.

Adrienne July 12, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Tanya,

You're right; they can't do justice. That glacier is HUGE.

I am so glad to be some source of inspiration. I thank God!

Piney July 12, 2009 at 12:48 AM

You were lucky to get the pix of the dall sheep :)

Most folks never see them, they are watching the trail or the road.

I am so glad you are enjoying your visit. There is so much to see, and never enough time, it seems.

Anonymous,  July 12, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Adrienne, reason #27 to live here- the glaciers! Enjoy AK while you're here! I hope you make it back to visit again- or maybe decide this is where your heart is and your home should be!
~Lynette

Sue July 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Those were just awesome photos!

I A Crowther July 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM

My first week of visits here, Adrienne. Have really enjoyed the write-ups of your visit to AK.

LindaW July 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM

LOL about the bear encounter thing.

Thanks for sharing all the pictures and your trip stories.

Diane ~ July 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM

wow How wonderful for you Adrienne! Whether it's seeing the glacier or Mountains in Alaska or the green mountains in Vermont, I am in total awe of our Creator! we are blessed!

Sheila,  July 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Your students will be in for a treat this fall when you get to the "What did you do over the summer?" I had a student who was planning an Alaskan cruise this summer with his family. I made him promise to get Palin's autograph if he met her! Your pictures are great.

Hefmier July 13, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Great pics. I am going to have to take another trip to Alaska soon. LOL.