Journey from Alaska to Beyond

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Getting home from Alaska took a lot of work--so much so that I started to wonder if I was even supposed to come home. What a journey.

Because I was flying standby, I had no way of knowing if I would get on each plane or would have to wait because of no available seats. I chose to fly out of Anchorage rather than Fairbanks because of the Eddie Burke interview. I also thought it wise to do so because, with so many people flying into Fairbanks to attend Sarah Palin's farewell speech, I figured it might be a chore getting out. So to Anchorage I went.

Olga dropped me off at the airport at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night, and I was to fly out at 12:30 a.m. However, I learned that it wasn't looking good for me to get on that flight. I tweeted:

It's not looking good 4 getting on this flight leaving Anchrg. = the downside 2 flying standby. Why am I not concerned?

Shortly thereafter, I learned that the flight was indeed full. I tweeted:

It's official: no room on flight. Standing by 4 the next one, but that 1 doesn't look 2 good either. This could get really 'fun.'

As it turned out, I was able to get on that second flight and landed in Seattle about 5:00 a.m. Seattle time. This is where it gets crazy, as those of you who follow me on Twitter know:

Been here on layover 3 1/2 hrs-looks like I wont have a seat. Nxt flite out is anthr 6 hrs which will mess up last flight from DC 2 NY

After waiting almost four hours, I learned the flight was full. I would have to spend another six hours there before the next flight! The problem with that--other than simply having to remain there, which was bad enough--was that it would cause me to miss my next flight--the last flight of the night--out of DC going to New York. In other words, after spending almost ten hours in a Seattle airport, I would have to spend the night in a DC airport! No way! The irony of it all is that I had considered remaining in Alaska longer, but I didn't want to pay the money it would cost to change the DC ticket. Because I would miss that flight, I would have to pay to change it anyway! How crazy. But look at what happened:

God is so good. Lady I just spoke 2 from US Air rsvd me from DC 2 NY--I'm stuck till a.m. but she didnt charge me-says 'Uve been thru enuff'

When I couldn't get on the first flight in Anchorage, friends in Alaska started joking that perhaps I wasn't supposed to leave. I loved the sound of that, for sure. When everything seemed to fall apart in Seattle, I even considered going back. Let's see: ten hours waiting in Seattle or flying back to Alaska, where I wanted to be anyway, in only three hours. I just kept my ears, eyes, and heart open. The Lord had orchestrated every aspect of my trip to and through Alaska. I had no reason to think He wasn't in control at this point, so I just kept walking, looking, and expecting.

Thinking about being stuck in a DC airport for the night, I tweeted:

Must be a purpose in this. When I finally get 2 DC wonder if the Prez will hook a sistuh up w/ a WH room 4 the nite!

@nancyhan77 That's what I tweeted. He ought to help a sistuh out! That's why we need Sarah in there. She'd hook a sister up for sure!

I was so tired from not having slept, as I was already in transit when most people were asleep for the night, I started struggling to stay awake in the airport and was just feeling downright exhausted and had had enough. Then, after all those hours there, I was told that it was a possibility that I still wouldn't get on. Oh no!!! I came to a decision:

People r boarding. If I cant get on, that is my sign to take my tail bk to AK! I will know shortly

Needless to say, I got on, but I was about through! For real.

I ended up having the middle seat on the flight to DC. My neck was aching from the uncomfortable seats, and I just wanted it all to be over. It was already emotional for me because I was aware assuredly now that the next touch-down would find me too far from Alaska to consider turning around. Add to that being uncomfortable and squished...But I really did take it all in stride and was amazed at the peace I was able to walk in.

A cool thing happened, too. I was wearing my Team Sarah shirt, and when I boarded this plane, one of the flight crew members mentioned it. He said he had been in Fairbanks for Sarah Palin's farewell address and that he had met her. You should have seen the look in his eyes and the pride he had at meeting her. Awesome--and just indicative of the impact that she has. I told him I had been in Alaska all month. Talking to him was a sweet point in the midst of a sour journey. By the way, my shirt didn't get as friendly a reception when I got to DC! In the airport there, I tweeted:
This DC airport might me a dangerous place to be wearing my Team Sarah shirt! Already got some looks! LOL! God bless Sarah.

I was so exhausted that I fell asleep before the plane took off. My favorite part of flying is the take off. I love the speed on the runway and feeling the plane lift off the ground. I don't know about others, but it is such a spiritual experience for me. Why? Because I know that only by God's grace could man be able to create a means to fly! I remain in awe of it, to be honest. So when the plane picked up speed, I awoke, but believe it or not, I feel asleep before the lift. That's how tired I was. My favorite part of flying is the liftoff. I love how the plane picks up speed and then lifts off the ground. But I never got to experience the lift. Imagine being awake for the runway drive, and falling asleep before the liftoff! That's just sick! And I was so out of it, I wouldn't be surprised if I was snoring, leaning, drooling, and everything else people do in their sleep if they're overtired.

When I woke, I had a good conversation with the woman on my left. Her name is Michele, and she asked me about my shirt. I'm not sure where her loyalties were, but she seemed interested in my time in Alaska and my involvement in the 2012 Draft Sarah Committee. When she heard I would not have a flight out of DC, she gave me her number and said, "I don't normally do this, and I hope you're not an axe murderer, but if you are stranded, you can stay at my house." I could tell this was not something she does regularly and that she wasn't an axe murderer, and I apreciate her offer. As it turns out, Denise--fellow member of 2012 DSC, Team Sarah, and Virginia resident drove the 2 1/2 hours to DC with her sons, got a hotel room, and picked me up from the airport. She said it was a great opportunity to take her boys to the zoo there the next day. I'm telling you, Sarah supporters are an awesome family. Thank you again, Denise!

I woke up early this morning, got ready, and went for a prayer walk in the nation's capital. It's stifling there--and I'm not just talking about the physical heat. I'm talking about the spiritual heat. Wheww... I tweeted:
Headed out on a prayer walk here in the nation's capital of DC. I can feel the strongholds - thick. Praying to tear 'em down.

Denise got me to the airport and I returned to New York without incident. I still feel like I am enduring a bit of culture shock. As my friends Sally and Peter drove me to their home where my car has been stored, I looked around for mountains, but there weren't any. This certainly is not Alaska. I drove to my house, put the car in the garage, and went in the door. I tweeted: feels so small inside

That's true. It just felt little, empty, un-Alaskan!

At 6:30 p.m., I did an interview with Lee Davis, conservative talk show host in Alabama. He posed some very thought-provoking questions regarding the 2012 Draft Sarah Committee, Sarah Palin, and the impact of her leaving office. He even asked me what advice I would give Sarah to help her be successful in a run for the presidency. You'll have to listen to the interview to find out what my answer was. Unfortunately, I could not find archives of his broadcasts, but maybe you'll do a better job surfing his site than I. So go to If you can find the archives, please let me know. I would enjoy hearing it myself.

So what's next for Adrienne? I have received so many encouraging words, prayers, thoughts. I cannot get back to everyone, and I cannot express how much I appreciate all of you. As for me, I do not know precisely what is next. I know that something is next. I know that this is a life-changing time for me. I also know that I cannot live life the way it has been lived. I just can't go back to business as usual, nor do I believe that's the plan. Sitting here resting on my couch today has been necessary; it may take a couple days for me to get rested and get my head on straight. However, it feels foreign doing this--sitting, waiting, looking around. I can't do it. I am compelled--driven--to speak up for God's Word, for this country, for Sarah Palin and the values she embodies. Even as I drove back through town, I saw kids leaving summer school. Normally, my neck is stretched as I look for kids to honk my horn at. Today was different. I just couldn't get into it. One of the students I had last year saw me drive by and yelled out my name. I waved at him, but it just wasn't the same. There was no tug on my heart, no rise in enthusiasm, no...passion. There has been a shift. It started a few weeks before the school year ended, and I see it has shifted further. I am interested in discovering what God plans for me even in the next month before school begins.

Well, I am in no way done sharing Alaska with you. I will be posting more pictures and sharing more stories. So I'll keep blogging on, so you keep logging on. Besides, in light of the big picture, I just know you don't want to miss anything.


oneXSturtle (LindaW) July 31, 2009 at 2:00 AM  

I LOL'ed at the axe murderer comment. LOL!!!

TexMex July 31, 2009 at 3:36 AM  


Thanks for blogging about your Alaskan experience. I can't tell you how awesome it is to "be there" with you while you took this journey. AND you've meet SP more times than I probably ever will. That has to be quite a rush.
No doubt you've had an amazing change in your life. I honestly don't know what SP is going to do these next few years. I'm excited to watch her. More importantly, I'm ready to back her. If for some reason your SP journey takes you to Texas, I would love to host you!
Glad you're on the beat, A!

LoveThatGirl July 31, 2009 at 7:51 AM  

Hi Adrienne, glad to hear you are safely back home, even though your heart is still in Alaska.
God is good, I have said it many times before.
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7
"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." Matthew 21:22
"Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven." Matthew 18:19
Adrienne, I know I don't have to remind you of God's living word, but I do love His word and enjoy giving it to others.
Have a blessed day.
P.S I also enjoyed the journey with you. :)

LoveThatGirl July 31, 2009 at 8:00 AM  

Adrienne, I hope you will enjoy this video.

Tracey (Mendnehall) Porreca July 31, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

Hey Adrienne -

I miss you - and so does Alaska!

Palin Conservative July 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

I was following your little adventure home on Twitter and I couldn't believe how difficult it was to get back. I flew stand-by once from Atlanta and I got stranded in the Atlanta airport for 8 hours, so I can sympathize with part of your journey. It's not fun, but you somehow make the most of it.

I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to come home after spending a month in AK. This trip and everything that transpired during it will probably end up being incredibly important to your future. It seems that God has something important planned for you.

I live outside of DC and I can relate to the anti-Sarah vibe you picked up on in the airport. People around here are horrible about Sarah. I can't stand it. I'm not from here and my husband and I are trying to move back south and I can't wait. I want to get back to average joes and janes who appreciate someone like Sarah. I actually saw a "Sarah!" bumper sticker the other day and I couldn't believe it. There's at least one person here who gets it. That little sign gave me hope.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your amazing trip with us. I can't wait to hear more.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Noblarum by 2009

Back to TOP