Friday, July 10, 2009
I'm used to touching base with you everyday, but yesterday went by without a chance to communicate. I don't know about you, but that seems like an eternity to me! I've been on the road, and when I got settled, I've been hampered by wifi problems. What else is new, right?
In any case, let's get caught up. I spent some time Wednesday night with my new Alaska friends, Ivy and Tracey. To give a little plug, we ate at Wasilla's own, Evangelo's. That was some good food, people, and the service came with a smile and some friendly conversation. So if you're in the city of Wasilla, check out Evangelo's!
Thursday morning April and I left Wasilla headed to Homer, AK. I spent most of yesterday on the road. I tell you what, traveling anywhere in Alaska takes HOURS! This is a HUGE state, people! The road is endless, but so is the beauty. Here are some of my tweets from the road.
1. On my way to Homer, AK 4 a couple days. These mountains are AMAZING--big & beautiful! They speak & tell me how small I really am.
2. If there is no God, then these are not mountains I see before me, and I KNOW these are mountains I see--like I KNOW there's a GOD!
3. Just entering Soldotna en route to Homer.
4. Just saw my first moose--upon entering Kenai, AK! Awesome! Now if I could just get some moose chili! I love Alaska!
5. Just checked into lodge by ocean. I feel so blessed. I keep looking at the water & mountains & saying, WOW!
6. Down in Homer, AK by the ocean. This place is incredible! God's country, all right! Wow!
Waking up in Homer this morning was amazing. I stayed in a lodge with an ocean/mountain view. That's a sight there are no words for. I started my morning with a prayer walk along the ocean. I began to sing a song we sing in church often, but today it had a whole different impact. As I shuffled along gratefully, through teary eyes I sang with the ocean and mountains before me. I sang the chorus a couple times before realizing what I was actually saying. Then I actually heard what I was singing. When I sang it again, I had to stop several times and actually laugh because it was just too much. The chorus says, "Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth. Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth. The heavens declare your greatness, the oceans cry out to You, the mountains, they bow down before You, so I'll join with the earth as I give my praise to You." Now, you can sing that in church and worship God for who He is. But walking along the ocean and hearing its cry and looking up at the mountains so huge and powerful and realizing they bow to One mightier than they...wow!
We left Homer and went to Seward, where we are now. I'll post some pictures of Seward another time. For now, look at the pictures taken along the road yesterday and pictures I took once I got into Homer. By the way, if you ever visit Alaska, you absolutely must visit Homer. It's beautiful beyond belief.