Pictures of Visit to Homer, Alaska

Friday, July 10, 2009

I'm used to touching base with you everyday, but yesterday went by without a chance to communicate. I don't know about you, but that seems like an eternity to me! I've been on the road, and when I got settled, I've been hampered by wifi problems. What else is new, right?

In any case, let's get caught up. I spent some time Wednesday night with my new Alaska friends, Ivy and Tracey. To give a little plug, we ate at Wasilla's own, Evangelo's. That was some good food, people, and the service came with a smile and some friendly conversation. So if you're in the city of Wasilla, check out Evangelo's!

Thursday morning April and I left Wasilla headed to Homer, AK. I spent most of yesterday on the road. I tell you what, traveling anywhere in Alaska takes HOURS! This is a HUGE state, people! The road is endless, but so is the beauty. Here are some of my tweets from the road.

1. On my way to Homer, AK 4 a couple days. These mountains are AMAZING--big & beautiful! They speak & tell me how small I really am.

2. If there is no God, then these are not mountains I see before me, and I KNOW these are mountains I see--like I KNOW there's a GOD!

3. Just entering Soldotna en route to Homer.

4. Just saw my first moose--upon entering Kenai, AK! Awesome! Now if I could just get some moose chili! I love Alaska!

5. Just checked into lodge by ocean. I feel so blessed. I keep looking at the water & mountains & saying, WOW!

6. Down in Homer, AK by the ocean. This place is incredible! God's country, all right! Wow!

Waking up in Homer this morning was amazing. I stayed in a lodge with an ocean/mountain view. That's a sight there are no words for. I started my morning with a prayer walk along the ocean. I began to sing a song we sing in church often, but today it had a whole different impact. As I shuffled along gratefully, through teary eyes I sang with the ocean and mountains before me. I sang the chorus a couple times before realizing what I was actually saying. Then I actually heard what I was singing. When I sang it again, I had to stop several times and actually laugh because it was just too much. The chorus says, "Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth. Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth. The heavens declare your greatness, the oceans cry out to You, the mountains, they bow down before You, so I'll join with the earth as I give my praise to You." Now, you can sing that in church and worship God for who He is. But walking along the ocean and hearing its cry and looking up at the mountains so huge and powerful and realizing they bow to One mightier than they...wow!

We left Homer and went to Seward, where we are now. I'll post some pictures of Seward another time. For now, look at the pictures taken along the road yesterday and pictures I took once I got into Homer. By the way, if you ever visit Alaska, you absolutely must visit Homer. It's beautiful beyond belief.

moon816 July 11, 2009 at 12:37 AM

when are u going to meet the guv?

Adrienne July 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM

I've met the Gov. already in New York. Hope to meet her again.

munchnstuf July 11, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Wow! I am so glad that you are having such a wonderful time! I just wish that I'd found your blog earlier. You have such a beautiful outlook on life. Thanks for the great pictures!

Tanya July 11, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Adrienne, you have almost convinced me to put Alaska on my "Places to Go" list! It almost brought tears to my eyes as I pictured your singing before the ocean and mountains :-)).

Adrienne July 11, 2009 at 1:48 AM

You MUST go to Alaska!

By the way, in answer to your question the other day about the interview: My uncle is Malcolm Smith, New York State Senate Majority Leader.

Sue July 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Love the Homer photos! The good old "Homer Spit". It's been a while since I've been there.
What a breathtaking state, isn't it?

WeLoveAlaska July 11, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I found Motivation: Truth through Conservatives4Palin, followed the Governor's trip in New York and now your trip to Alaska. We travel to Alaska about every other year. While on the Kenai Peninsula; if you haven't already, go and and see the pipeline. It is very impressive. Thank you for your blog and enjoy the great state of Alaska!

WeLoveAlaska July 11, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I found Motivation: Truth through Conservatives4Palin, followed the Governor's trip in New York and now your trip to Alaska. We travel to Alaska about every other year. While traveling to or from the Kenai Peninsula; if you haven't already, go and see the pipeline. It is quite impressive. Thank you for your blog and enjoy the great state of Alaska!

Anonymous,  July 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Your observations on the beauty of Alaska remind me of a quote by one of my favorite authors...

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" -- Douglas Adams

The Enemy

Blythe July 11, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Adrienne, I found your blog through conservatives4palin as well. What a lucky lady I am. Your words inspire me. I DID cry while reading the words to your morning prayer walk. I can't wait to tell my Granddaughter about your Blog. Thank you so much.

Oh yes, I am glad you told us who your Uncle was as I had listened to you on the radio posting and it stopped at that very moment. I live in Texas so am not aware but trying to learn all I can about this conservative mission.

Lisa P. July 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I love your photos of Homer. I need to return myself. I would love for Sarah to run for President in 2012 because I'm a Democrat and that would be great for us! Run her! LOL!

Adrienne July 11, 2009 at 10:02 PM

So-called Enemy, the answer to your question is "no."

Lisa P., to paraphrase, "He that thinks he stands, take heed, lest he fall." I really don't think your people are as at ease with Sarah as you suggest; otherwise, they'd leave her alone. Think about it.

Anonymous,  November 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Sure envy your trip. I have always wanted to go there---my best friend and I thought about it after high school to try to get jobs working on the pipeline. I have only landed at the airport there twice in my life---once in 1968 while in the U.S. Army and recently on a trip to the Philippines to met my wife. Its still a part of my bucket list.