Sarah Palin, Woman of Faith and Prayer

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sarah Palin is a woman of uncompromising faith in God--a woman of much prayer and real relationship with her Creator. I found the article I've posted below by the American Thinker to be very insightful. It ends in part with these words, "I'm not much on prophesying, but I'll take a turn"--and then does just that. I didn't share this before, but two days after coming to Wasilla, I attended a church service for prayer intercessors of Alaska, intercessors from all over the state. This was just two days after Sarah announced her resignation. Dutch Sheets was the guest. He led us in prayer for Sarah and had us pray in groups for her, as well. He declared some things over her life in such a powerful, powerful way, and we did not stop praying for her until he felt released to move forward in the service. Considering his words, I would dare say the American Thinker got it right.

Please read the article all the way to the end. It's worth it! I thank God for giving us a leader like Sarah--"for such a time as this!" As I always say concerning her, "The best is yet to come."

I also posted pictures of the governor that reveal her Christian commitment, particularly to prayer. I especially love the one where she and Todd are backstage praying before she goes out to address the crowd at a rally during the 2008 election campaign and the one where she is about to go onstage to debate Joe Biden in the Vice Presidential Debate. She's got people all around her, and yet is faithful to bow and acknowledge God to ask for His grace and help--and we all know she hit a homerun in that debate. What makes that particular picture so precious is now knowing the story behind her getting ready to go out there to face Biden: She wanted someone to pray with her, and although she says she loved the McCain camp, there was no one she really felt she could take by the hands and pray with. So she was "looking around for someone to pray with." The only one she could find was her then-seven year old, Piper. She said to Piper, "Piper, pray with me. I really want to win this debate. Pray that God gives me strength, that He just speaks through me!" Piper's response was, "That would be cheating!" I love it! So maybe she just had to pray alone; I don't know!

Here's the article by American Thinker:
Sarah Palin loves God. God loves Sarah Palin.

And that is why they hate her...and Him.

And why she -- and He -- will be back.

That love, an essential part of her everyday life, holds out the hope of a return to the nation envisioned by the unapologetically spiritual generation that birthed the U.S. Like Ronald Reagan, of whom it was said that his relationship with God "had a profound affect on how he lived, on what he did, and on those around him," Sarah Palin's spirituality has affected every part of her life, allowing her to clearly recognize the evil that has leached into our political and media culture.

Sarah Palin is both usual and unusual. She is usual in that she is in the mainstream of those who believe in American exceptionalism, the 71 percent who are "very proud" of being American. At the same time, she is unusual in that she views and conducts herself not as a politician -- which she is -- but a citizen who sees public office as an opportunity to serve. Interwoven in all of this is the confidence that comes from knowing that God loves her, up close and personal, an integral part of her Christian faith and central to Judeo-Christian culture.

Sarah Palin is grounded in the divine, which means, in part, that she believes, as did the framers of our constitution, that individuals are "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." God gives us our rights, and not Washington, the United Nations, or The New York Times or NBC. She does not need a poll to determine the morality of a political and media culture in which the pursuit of power and wealth on the part of its participants comes first (any doubt, see the recent attempt by the Washington Post to sell access to its newsroom and the Obama administration), in which a political establishment has replaced the national anthem with the soundtrack from Jaws.

She is steeped in the religious notion of service as evidenced by loving God and loving others, what one of her pastors praised as "a grounded sense of God." In other words, a certainty that God is alive and well and a part of all that we do in this world. Her vision is shaped by what Gerard Manley Hopkins, priest and celebrated poet, described as a conviction that God "plays in ten thousand places...through the features of men's faces."

And when you're shaped by something beyond this world, convinced there is a bit of God in all whom you serve, then morality is part of what you do -- and being called "judgmental" is praise, not criticism. To Sarah Palin, the corruption of both Republicans and Democrats in Alaska, which suffered from an institutionalized class of thieves on the public payroll, was immoral, violating the God-given rights of the citizens of her state...and so she took them on.

She promises to do the same at the national level. Although leaving public office, she holds out the possibility of taking -- in the words of an American Thinker commentator -- on a "larger fight." Both Mark Levin and Thomas Lifson see evidence that she is simply gathering her strength for the next round.

She looks at Washington and knows, instinctively and with gut-wrenching clarity, that what is happening is not just is immoral. Following her resignation as governor, she told Time magazine -- to the amusement of its editors -- that the growing of government "outrageously" by President Obama is "immoral." She deliberately chose a God word that suggests evil, a word that belongs -- in the words of journalist Christopher Hitchens, the atheist darling of both elite right and left -- to "the superstitious, fearful childhood of the race" because she has a visceral reaction to the mountains of debt being piled on future generations.

Like Hitchens, the Time editors believe the "religious part of our brain is part of the less highly evolved bit" and so she touched off a new round of sneers. Conservative Jonah Goldberg summed up the elite reaction to her continuing to pass judgment on the media and political class: You're "whining," you're "blowing it," just shut up (which is the civilized National Review's equivalent of The New York Times label of "one nutty puppy," which in turn is more civilized than MSNBC terming her a "delusional lunatic," which is heads above the liberal award-winning website Wonkette, which described her as "batshit-insane"). And Peggy Noonan, the former Reagan speechwriter who laments the decline of our social values while sipping half-caf nonfat lattes with quintessential liberal elite journalist Leslie Stahl of CBS and actress Candice Bergen (of Dan Quayle-is-a-Bible-thumping-ignoramus fame), did what Peggy Noonan does: take 1,200 words to again cruelly label Palin an idiot.

You know nothing, our liberal and conservative elite sneered. After all, you didn't go to an Ivy League university, can't rattle off on demand the names of ten trendy but unassuming restaurants on Manhattan's Upper West Side, and have never waxed poetic about taking an intern to a cozy little watering hole in Georgetown (or anywhere else, for that matter).
Lost in the derision is this truth: there is a higher standard, and Sarah Palin unashamedly rests in he grip of the one who provides those standards. The unparalleled borrowing to fuel Obama programs and Democratic patronage is not just wrong policy; rather, it is evil because it is accompanied by crushing debt that will, ultimately, devour large chunks of individual income, stimulate runaway regulation that will rob us of freedom, and establish involuntary servitude as measured in hours worked to support government.

And most of this will fall on future generations; in other words, unborn children. Sarah Palin is concerned about unborn children -- another God thing. Fancy that.

And because, as Thomas Jefferson noted, "the God who gave us life gave us liberty at the same time," she goes to the source for guidance. In other words, she prays -- an act that prompted the digital venture of the Washington Post to label her "A Little Shop of Horrors," Palin, described by Christianity Today magazine as "unabashed about her faith," prayed continuously during the presidential campaign as she has for all of her life. In this she mirrors the sixty percent of the country that prays at least once a day. Her prayer is a heartfelt effort to prepare for trials and challenges, the stuff of life. In doing so, she connects with the source of wisdom, unashamedly asking her Creator for patience, clarity, and the ability to love in and through all circumstances. And with her prayer she, in the words of Christian writer Philip Yancey, "stands at a place where God and human beings meet," a humbling experience that allows her to remain -- through it all -- just plain Sarah.

And therein rests the problem with our elite: God is an intimate part of her life. He is not a tool to be used at the appropriate time to convince the governed that you, too, can "cling to guns or religion," as Obama described praying America to San Francisco grandees during the campaign. This God stuff sets off our privileged classes, which refuse to acknowledge that anyone -- especially someone who did a road movie with Charlton Heston -- has authority over them. And so they scream. The Washington Post, dismayed by her spirituality, trotted out a minister who said Palin "lacks ministerial preparation and theological education" to speak about God. Neither the minister nor the newspaper editors noticed that few of God's significant others -- from Abraham to Moses to Jesus to Paul -- have Harvard Divinity School degrees.

Meanwhile, Sarah Palin moves inexorably forward, her life a testament to God's admonition:

Do what is fair and just to your neighbor,
be compassionate and loyal in your love,

And don't take yourself too seriously-
take God seriously.

God is not done with her. Nor is he done with a nation that has brought freedom and opportunity to hundreds of millions around the world.

I'm not much on prophesying, but I'll take a turn: They'll be back.

Stuart H. Schwartz, Ph.D., is a former newspaper and retail executive. He is on the faculty at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Sue July 14, 2009 at 7:26 AM

That was an AWESOME post! I believe too, that Sarah will be back. I have said from the beginning that he didn't bring her on the scene for nothing! I believe with all my heart that she was raised up "for such a time as this". We shall soon see as to what degree that is. I believe it will be great.

So sad to hear of all the bashing this wonderful woman of God has taken. I see her grit and her determination to keep moving. I also see that because of her great and genuine faith in God that He will use her. Simply because she is willing to be used of God.

I continue to lift up my dear sister in Christ Jesus...him whose NAME is ABOVE EVERY name!! Praise God for that!!

I am also praying that the Christians in America wake up once again to their calling to pray for this great nation that was once a beacon on a hill. We need to be that again!!

kid July 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM

She was trying to get the then Senator Obama killed.I guess it was "christian" to bring stuffed monkeys on nooses to the rallies.Secret Service had to tell her to tone down the rhetoric.She was the first Alaskan Governor to not attend a African American event Juneteenth.She's David Duke in a dress. You make it sound like if she was pick for President(be real you weren't voting for McCain)there would be no apocalypse.She's a fascist racist and you know it.Someone to put black people in their place.

If the right was so honest and christian they wouldn't have made up the astroturfed PUMA. They wouldn't have had to lie and say she's just like Hillary.

Are you good christian people going after Free Republic for insulting the President's little 11 year old daughter ?No only after Letterman for some lie that FOX said he did.Why are so-called christiansa like you big time liars?

Anonymous,  July 14, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Love your post - agree 100% Adrienne, you are a true inspiration!! Thank you for your insight. I will continue praying for you and Sarah!! The best is yet to come!!

kid July 14, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Since you're a bigot I have some questions for you.

First, was Rev. Jerry Falwell full of the Holy Ghost when he called Martin Luther King, Martin Luther Coon.He's also on film holding up a sign that said the same think. He refers to blacks as Nigras.

Second, who can a hermaphrodite marry ?No matter who they marry , it would be a homosexual marriage. Something to think about.Not a theoretical question,hermaphrodites are very real.

Why is it that the right is so racist? Why was Rat Robertson against freedom for South Africa and Mandela? Why did Rat deal with dictators like Charles Taylor of Liberia and Joseph Motubu of Zaire? Why did Rat purchase "blood diamonds".

BTW, Palin didn't run Alaska, Exxon did. She was so nice to them that they didn't have to hardly pay the natives anything for the Exxon-Valdez spill thank to Sarah.She's a crook, look it up.She quit so she wouldn't have to take any stimulus money.The new governor will take it.That way she can run for Prez in 2012. I hope the incoherent racist does,Barack will get 90% of the vote, the other 10% will come from mental institutions for Satan Pagan.

Bea's World July 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM

AWESOME POST!!!!! Loved the pics. . .Thanks so much!!!!!

Anonymous,  July 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Assuming that you're fallible like all the rest of us, how can you be so certain that a god has chosen Sarah Palin for a time such as this?

The Enemy

Adrienne July 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Isn't it something that when I post something that shows so well Sarah's faith in CHRIST, the attacks get ratcheted up to a new level? I was going to delete some evil comments--and I may in the future if they get even more ridiculous--but I chose to let them remain for now because they do a better job of proving my point and the point the American Thinker is making than I ever could. Mention God, mention Sarah & God, and people lose their minds. Hmmm... My point exactly! You see what I'm saying, everybody?

Do not tell me about nooses and calling for President Obama to die. The FBI said comments like those were never even said in the crowd at rallies. Yes, that's what the FBI said--just another scare tactic and example of race baiting often found on the Left to silence people who don't agree with them. It's a tool always used by some against conservatives. And why do they use it? Simple...because it works on simple-minded people.

As for anything any knucklehead would bring to a rally, or even say, I supppose Obama is responsible for the horrible, utterly disgusting things said about Sarah as a woman at his rallies--some things so nasty they weren't even shown on television? Of course not! I would be blame him for every person at every rally, but again, the FBI has issued their statements.

Jerry Falwell? Maybe there's a blog about him somewhere. This isn't it. Sounds like you have a lot of pent of issues. I'm sure there's a place to go for some help in that regard, but I wasn't writing about Falwell. Stick to topic.

As for Sarah, I've written here about Juneteenth a couple times. Feel free to read those posts in the archives. By the way, I saw some wonderful pictures of her at a Juneteenth celebration. Check them out--and she just loved visiting the Harriet Tubman home in Auburn, NY. Not only that, she actually cares about ALL people and doesn't spend her days looking for ways to prove it. She just lives the life. That's what people who know who they are do; that's how they live their lives--not looking for another photo op to prove something to somebody. ("A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.")If that strikes you as her qualifying as a racist, well, there's not much I can tell you.

"She's a racist and I know it," you say. Hmmm...So NOW the conspiracy theory states that even I, a Black woman, is knowingly supporting a racist. The far Left--seeking to silence the Right with the race card--loves to call conservatives racists. Now that Black conservatives are speaking up, the new tactic is to call even the Blacks, not just sell-outs anymore, but racists themselves! New game plan, huh? Clever--but won't work. I am not your tool. I will not be used. I will not be silenced. Perhaps you haven't considered this, but maybe, just maybe, people--yes, even Blacks--can think for themselves and make wise decisions as to who they support. Maybe they are not fooled by the lies about racism. I know that seems far-fetched to some who only want to run the race game--but just maybe that's a possibility. Hey, just a thought from little old me. I mean, what do I know, right?

It amazes me that those who are so "not interested" in Governor Palin, who think she's such a "non-entity," cannot get her off their minds. I have never seen such an influential "non-entity" as Sarah in all my life! How does she do it?! Now, that's something!

The Enemy (real funny) and kid, you seem to like this blog. I pray that God changes your hearts. Bottom line: Sarah Palin is a woman of faith and prayer, and that's what is bothering you, isn't it? I'm sorry to break the news to you, but that's not going to change.

Your allegations are false. I have left your ill-formed, ill-intentioned comments to prove a point--this time.

Adrienne July 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM

The So-called Enemy,

To answer your question about how a fallible person can know something the Lord is doing, like calling Sarah for this time, that was addressed in the American Thinker as well. Even fallible people, as fragile and in need of a Savior as everyone else, because of their personal relationship with Christ--and simply spending time with Him in prayer--sometimes we just know that we know that we know. That's just one beauty of a relationship with the Lord. He drops things in our spirits like that. I hope you come to know what I'm talking about one day. I really do.

BostonBruin July 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Several months ago I heard Dutch Sheets say that the verse the Lord gave him about Sarah was Ezekiel 44:4 - that the glory of the Lord would come from the NORTH! This word fits in a mighty way with other prophecies I have heard about the immediate future of our country from men of God I respect. It's so cool when you understand what's going on "behind the scenes"!

kid July 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kid July 15, 2009 at 1:56 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kid July 15, 2009 at 2:09 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Adrienne July 15, 2009 at 2:18 AM

I'm not going to play games with you.

You know what? It makes me so sad that you feel so victimized: "Everybody hates me. Nobody loves me. The world is full of racists." If that were the case, how did President Obama get elected (I mean, other than the help of the mainstream media)? You can't keep leaning on that anymore. Somewhere personal responsibility must take effect. I wish you well. There is a God--the real one, as you state--who loves you and desires to make you a victor instead of the victim you've allowed yourself to become. I honestly wish you well.

Also, if you don't like Sarah Palin, this (Motivation: Truth) is probably not the place to hang out, especially if she scares you, as you say. I wouldn't want to add to your terror, so maybe you should sail safer seas.

Anonymous,  July 15, 2009 at 9:58 AM

"That's just one beauty of a relationship with the Lord. He drops things in our spirits like that."

I'm an atheist but I'll try to argue from a religious perspective...

If you're fallible, then you can't be certain about what is being dropped in your spirit or even about who is doing the dropping. The Bible clearly teaches that the Devil has the ability to trick humans. If what the Bible teaches about the Devil is true then dismissing doubt, which arises from the supposedly god-given ability to reason, is a dangerous thing to do.

What bothers me about the Neo-Charismatic crowd, as represented by Sarah Palin and the churches she has attended, is the certitude- the claim to see through the glass clearly as opposed to darkly. You know what I mean? Now, you seem like a truly decent person (I really mean that) but based on what I've read at your blog here I sense that you're starting to think about things the way the Neo-Charismatic crowd does. I think that's a mistake.

Anyway, I'll leave you with one of the few Bible passages I admire since I think it applies here:

12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. - 1 Corinthians 13:12 (King James Version)

Thanks for reading and thanks for not deleting my comments.

The Enemy

Adrienne July 15, 2009 at 1:35 PM

You have called yourself an atheist; therefore, it would be very difficult to "argue from a religious perspective" because God's Word declares that "he who comes to God must believe that HE IS, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." It would be even harder for you to understand, I suppose, that some of us aren't interested in the typical "religious perspective" because we operate, not on "religion" as it has come to be known, but within a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.

In any case, I don't have a problem with any church Sarah Palin has attended. Let me make that clear.

You do make a fair statement in saying fallible people sometimes are wrong in what they think the Lord is saying. Sure, sometimes we "miss it," as we say. No doubt about it. But God does indeed speak, guide, and direct--and the more we draw close to Him, the more we build our relationship with him, the more we get to know His voice--and know HIM, which is the case in any relationship. It's no different with God--only sweeter. And in this case, if I were wrong about God having some grand plan for Sarah, His grace and mercy cover that as well. What have I done in that case? Encouraged a sister in the faith, believed the best in and for her, prayed without ceasing for her success, asked the Lord to protect and have His way in her family, defended her against vile attacks? No harm there in what I've done, you see. Isn't God's mercy good that way? If you just do what you're supposed to do anyway: pray for one another, love and encourage, believe the best--even when you miss it, in reality you've hit the mark! I love God for that! SO amazing! Truth is, however, He does have a grand plan for Sarah. He has a plan for all of us--and as long as we fulfill the plan for our lives, it can't be anything but grand, no matter what it is.