Dr. King and Governor Palin: March On!

Friday, August 28, 2009

"I Have a Dream" is arguably the most-eloquent, most-respected, and most-recited speech in American history. Dr. Martin Luther King gave that unforgettable speech forty six years ago today, and forty six years from now people will still be listening attentively to those words that he gave in front of the Lincoln Memorial at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.

Dr. King was assassinated before I was born, but as I reflect on the man behind the dream, I see someone who carried a message of freedom and justice, though he knew what it was to be called on the carpet for it. I see a man who loved his country and wanted to see her reach her full potential. No, he didn't believe America was perfect, but he loved her nonetheless. It was that great love that caused him to stand up and speak out when others shouted for him to sit down and shut up. He chose to fight the fight because the liberty of American people was on the line.

Dr. King once stated,

Something is happening in our world. The masses of people are rising up. And wherever they are assembled today, whether they are in Johannesburg, South Africa; Nairobi, Kenya; Accra, Ghana; New York City; Atlanta, Georgia; Jackson, Mississippi; or Memphis, Tennessee -- the cry is always the same: "We want to be free."

Sounds like today, doesn't it? Sounds like what the masses of Americans are crying out right now--from tea parties, from town halls, from Facebook and Twitter.

I believe Martin Luther King would have gotten Sarah Palin. More than that, I believe he would have had great respect for her. Although they clearly would not have agreed on every point (who does?), Dr. King knew what it was to use his voice to speak up for the country in which he lived. He knew what it was to cry out for freedom to the point of self-sacrifice. And he knew what it was to be a threat to the establishment. He came against the powers-that-be, and he did it with a boldness that was driven by a sense of right. There's just something about being right that emboldens those who believe it's their destiny to declare it.

Like Dr. King, Sarah Palin refuses to be silenced, though the mainstream media is begging for her to be quiet rather than speak up for the freedoms of Americans, freedoms which perhaps have never been so attacked since Dr. King's day.

I remember last year when Michelle Obama spoke at the Democratic National Convention. I must admit that toward the end of her speech, I cried. I did not cry because her speech was so moving or her husband was so promising. Please! I cried when she drew attention to it being the 45th anniversary of Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech. For the first time since the campaigning had begun, I was hit with the awareness that history--to which I was directly related--was in the making, that here was the first Black man to have won the presidential nomination--and I could not vote for him. That realization made me sad in a way I never expected. Now, perhaps you don't understand those emotions, but I just remember what gripped me in that moment. It took 45 years, I thought, and this is the best we could come up with?! It cut me to the heart.

As a Christian, nothing trumps values for me--not race, not gender, nothing. Therefore, I could never have voted for Obama. Shoot--I couldn't even stand to look at him. But I suddenly felt robbed of participating in that moment, and it hurt.

The tears were fleeting. They left as quickly as they came...and the next day Governor Sarah Palin stepped onto the national stage, and I was smiling.

I have never cried those tears again, for I remember the man whose speech we remember today. Dr. King so wisely said,

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Translation: There are more important things than race. And while the Left continues to race bait, while they call white conservatives like Sarah Palin "racist" and Black conservatives like me "sell-out," I know Dr. King got it, even forty six years ago, and what's more important, I get it.

Perhaps the American Thinker expressed the difference between Dr. King and President Obama best:

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is a perfect example of a true leader, and the antithesis of an Alinskyite community organizer. Dr. King wasn't leading a movement of complete strangers. Nor was he dropped into Atlanta by a gang of professional troublemakers, intent on gaining political power. Dr. King, and his father before him, were echelons of the black, upper-middle-class community in Atlanta. They had lifelong friends in every black community south of the Mason-Dixon. They were so well-known, so utterly respected by all, that when Martin spoke, people - black and white alike - knew there was absolute substance behind his thunderous voice. Even the Democratic Party racists who opposed him, gave him grudging private respect.

King had no need of deceptive Alinsky tactics; he had moral authority steeped in roots going back generations in the same home town.

Such is not at all the case with what Alinsky euphemistically called the "community organizer."

Some may think it's a stretch, but I don't think so: Sarah Palin is more like Dr. King than President Obama, and I believe he would have held her in very high regard. He, like she, was a public servant. He paid the ultimate price for opening his mouth for freedom; he would not shut up because too much was on the line. I see the same spirit in her as she continues to fight the fight for the unborn, health care, energy independence, limited government--for freedom.

GinaM August 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM

In case you missed this over at C4P.

I'm sure this comment will be deleted but I'm going to say it anyway. Adrienne that was the most disgusting thing you have ever written. To compare MLK to Sarah Palin has made me absolutely speechless. MLK marched and took beatings just so that African Americans could EAT in ALL WHITE diners not to mention the intergration of schools.

What has Sarah Palin done for ANYBODY other than herself to advance African American's cause? She wouldn't even sign the JuneTeenth Proclamation. Please don't give me that crap about "it was a clerical error".

Adrienne you are not a "sellout". You are totally misguided and blinded by a person who is not who you believe her to be. Sister you need help. I will keep you in my prayers

Adrienne Ross August 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM

GinaM,

Never fear: I did not miss your comment over at C4P; I saw it. I am copying below the comment I left there. It was not made specifically to you, but you can get from it what you will.

As for the race thing, I'm not buying it. I'm not someone who has not met the governor, not spent time talking to her, not spent time with her family and friends, and not spent time in her hometown. I have done all these things. More than that, I have a relationship with God and spiritual discernment. Is Sarah perfect? Of course not, but that's not the point of the post. Your argument accusing Sarah of racism, which is what you're doing, cannot defeat my experience. As the saying goes, "A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument."

So while you pray for me--and I thank you for that--pray, too, that God will allow you to see clearly. Is it possible you could be wrong? After all, you assumed your comment would be deleted at C4P and here at MT--and your comment remains on both. See, sometimes you just misjudge.

Here's the comment I posted over at C4P:

I am enjoying reading the comments. Let me chime in.

For anyone who thinks it's a stretch to mention Gov. Palin in the same sentence as Dr. King: What I pointed out in the post is that they both possess a deep love for this country. Dr. King, though he admitted to being disappointed in America, followed that up with, "There can be no disappointment where there is no great love." He loved America, what she stands for, and her God-given place in the world. Sarah Palin loves this country and speaks out because she refuses to sit silently and watch Washington destroy it.

Dr. King suffered incredible persecution for his stand, as does Sarah. Both could have taken the easy way out, but both chose to take a stand--because it was right.

Both their families were attacked because of the stand they took. Dr. King's house was burned, while Sarah Palin's church was burned.

Dr. King spoke the day before his death like he knew he would die. He said, "I'd like to live a long life. Longevity has its place, but I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will." He went on to talk about the mountain top and the Promised Land. He added, "I might not get there with you, but I want you to know that we as a people will get to the Promised Land." His sacrifice was the ultimate one. Sarah has not and, I pray, will not have to pay that price. But she understands the political price one pays for not giving in. To that she said, "Politically, if I die, I die."

Yes, King dealt with racial bias. Sarah Palin and her daughters have dealt with disgusting sexist "jokes."

Dr. King and Sarah Palin both have taken stands for freedom. Sarah Palin is all about freedom, which is why she doesn't support big government; it stifles the freedoms of people. What did Dr. King give his life for? Freedom.

I could go on and on. If this is a stretch, well, then it's a stretch. But surely it's a very short one. Shall I go on?

I will end with this. As Dr. King implored us to look at character rather than color, so does Sarah Palin. She has been accused of racism and not "doing anything for" Blacks. An Alaskan once told me she was so saddened by my support of the governor who doesn't do anything for Blacks. I asked her if she was an Alaskan. The answer was yes. I asked her if Palin was the governor of Alaska. "Yes." "Then anything she has done for Alaska, she has done for you!" That's dealing with people according to who they are, not what you see when you look at them.

I believe the similarities are endless, and at the top of the list are a desire for freedom and a refusal to let that be compromised without a fight--even when it costs greatly.

GinaM August 29, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Adrienne,

Thank you for leaving up my post on "YOUR" Blog. I have posted before on C4P and they have been deleted.

Anyway this may be kind of long so I'll break it up into two post. I pray that God will allow YOU to see clearly also. Sarah Palin is human. She is not a God. Please be careful how far you place this woman on a pedestal.

My question for you is: How are you able to reconcile your apparent "Worship" of a woman who is just a politician?

Martin Luther King JR was not a politician. He was a minister of GOD. He PREACHED for all of us to be truly free. I am 45 years old. I REMEMBER when he was assasinated. I remember my parents standing in front of the TV crying the day of his funeral.

I was in High School in California (80's) when they declared MLK day a holiday. I still have the Stevie Wonder albumn with the song "Happy Birthday to You" :) He wrote that song for Martin.

Adrienne Ross August 29, 2009 at 12:12 AM

GinaM,

By the way, in answer to your question about what Governor Palin has done to advance Black (as if that should be her life's goal), someone posted a long list for you on C4P.

GinaM August 29, 2009 at 12:23 AM

I remember being called the "N" word as a small child in Ohio and in Germany(my father was military). I remember seeing signs in North Carolina when I was 10/11 years old saying "You are now entering "Klu Klux Klan territory". This was in 1975!!

I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska for 10 years, from 1989-1999. Yes, the folks in Alaska are friendly and nice to you. But not all. My children went to Catholic School up there, they were treated so nicely. Color had nothing to do with it. So I don't lump all white people as being racist.

It is unacceptable to me for you to compare Sarah Palin's "LIFE" to MLK because both of there churches were burned!! That is ludicrous.

Sorry that this is so long but your "essay" just struck a nerve with me. Just to let you know a lot of older white people called MLK "Martin Luther Coon". Some of them still think of them that way. So your essay may not go over as well with some of the older folks on C4P.

Take care Adrienne and I hope you understand where I'm coming from. God does not want you to worship false idols.

PS.
Please don't bring Obama into this...this is about you comparing MLK's struggles to Sarah Palin so called stuggles.

GinaM August 29, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Um...Adrienne I know exactly what Sarah Palin has done for African American people in Alaska. My best friend lives in Anchorage and she has given me quite an earful. So that list is....um...just a list.

Adrienne Ross August 29, 2009 at 8:39 AM

GinaM,

We could go back and forth, but it ends with us disagreeing. There is a difference between worshipping people and respecting them, defending them, and even believing that God has called them. She is not God; King was not God. God is God. Period.

As others before you, you have given no proof of Sarah's so-called racism. It's what someone else told you about what she has/has not done. I am of the mind that since we do not worship people, as you correctly stated, we don't count on them--or the government--to do for us. As Black people it's time for us to trust the God we talk about so much and allow Him to allow us to do for ourselves. Sarah's job was not to do something special for us. It was to govern the state of Alaska.

Thank you for commenting, but again, we would probably go 'round and 'round, and we both know there's no point in that, but you're right: prayer is vital.

GinaM August 29, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Adrienne,

I never said she was racist. I said she is not who you BELIEVE her to be. And yes you are right we could go a round and a round and get no where with this.

Good luck.

Gary August 29, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Adrienne, as always, a beautiful post. I was quite young when Dr King was murdered, so my appreciation for him has grown, as I have. He means more to me now. I appreciate more of what he represented now, as I have matured.

His vision was for an America that was colorblind. An America where every single human being had the ability to become the very best they could be.

That is the Conservative's dream as well.

It sickens me that the far left has co-opted Dr King and his image, as their own. The far left, Obama, and his kind, are in direct opposition to everything Dr King stood far.

Rather than allow all people to reach their full potential, Marxists, like Obama and his crew, want to stifle mankind's natural growth.

Dr King struggled, and died, trying to make sure ALL men (and women) were FREE from oppression.

Obama and his friends are oppressors. Their plans will enslave a nation in tyranny.

Dr King represented freedom and liberty for an entire nation, as well as a group of horribly oppressed peoples.

Just as Ronald Reagan was the leader of a great movement back towards sanity, after Jimmy Carter, I most certainly believe Sarah Palin is our true an natural leader today.

Dr King, to me, is someone who would be very proud of Sarah Palin, as he would of any champion of liberty and freedom.

I must say Adrienne, this is a very moving read you have here, very moving indeed.

GinaM August 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Adrienne,
She is a person. No different than you or I. She is also a politician. She is not a GOD or an IDOL to be worshipped. It is an insult to MLK memory to compare her to him. No comparison at all. IMHO

Anonymous,  August 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I found this site through Yahoo Buzz and I am so glad that I did. Thank you for your inspirational words Adrienne. It is so refreshing to find a site that feels the ssame way I do about this country and I have recently become a fan of Sarah Palin. God Bless you and I will continue to read your posts.

Anonymous,  August 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM

If I may, I would love to add a few comments.

First, I would like to clarify that I have no race. I am an American. I was 12 years old when Martin Luther King was assassinated and I remember it like it was yesterday. Those were tumultuous times in our society and politically speaking, you could take your life into your hands just by having an opinion on civil rights, just as Bobby, Malcom and George Wallace did. But our lives have changed and so we must change. We cannot live in the past and must look forward to a better future for our children. It is with this thought that I cannot support Barack Obama. I truly believe that he has taken the worst from that era and brought it to the present. What I speak of is radicalism. The kind that incites the fear of loss in liberties and threatens our very existence as a country. I only wish for my children and grandchildren to live with the freedoms that the founders have bestowed upon us. If we do nothing to control our government, then we deserve all of the government we get. free at last. do not let anyone take it away.

Adrienne, you are beautiful.

The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses. Malcom X

Anonymous,  August 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I'm w/ Gina. It is sad when someone, anyone can compare Sarah Palin to Martin Luther King. Rev King preached non-violence & equality for all. Sarah Palin is a racist. Gina may not call her that, but I will. I honestly liked John McCain, but when he picked that woman to run as his VP, I was done. She will never and I do mean never be the president of the United States. Black or white doesn't matter, anyone w/ common sense can see this devil for what she truly is. Comparing her to Dr. King, how dare you.

NormaJ August 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM

People throw the term racist around so freely. If you disagree with the socializing the health care in America you are a "racist". If you attend a tea party, you are a "racist". Socialist is the new N word.... and on and on it goes. Can any of the people calling Sarah Palin a racist give examples of this? And please don't say Bill Ayers, because he is a terrorist, and Reverend wright did spew hate speech. The term racist is so over used, it is really becoming meaningless.

Anonymous,  August 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Is this a joke. At first I thought this was funny but it's really not. I can't even fathom how a Black American can associate Sarah Palin to Martin Luther King Jr. Are Black Americans so brainwashed by white society that we can't even see a true devil in our midst. I am non-racist & believe that all people are created equally, and I am intelligent enough to see Sarah Palin for what she really is. She is a hate mongering, fear generating, racist devil & I pray that she will never become president of this great country. Palin probably wishes slavery never ended & she'd send black folks back into slavery the moment she thought she could.

Tyrrell,  August 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM

History is so important and this is revisionism in the extreme. No historian or well read person considers any of MLK causes as Conservative. Fighting racism, poverty, ending war, specifically the Vietnam war, equality for women, all through government action is not conservative and it is exactly what MLK advocated. Liberal Democratic support of these causes ended up losing the South for the Democratic party. Finally, many prominent Conservatives opposed recognizing MLK day as a holiday for years. All of this is well known and not even debated. Ergo this post on its face is silly. http://100days.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/09/how-kennedy-won-the-house-and-lost-the-south/

GinaM August 30, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Adrienne you intrigue me. Some of your self hatred of African Americans seems to be showing. What has happened in your life? I sense a story there. Do you have a biographical post on your blog that I can read? I hope I have offended you I'm just extremely curious to see how your got your world point of view.

GinaM August 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM

opps...have not offended you :)

Sorry

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 1:48 AM

Let's be perfectly clear about Sayonara, Sarah Palin. All her articles are written by paid for by Republican ghost writers, and posted on their paid for by Republican web sites. She simply signs her name to the articles that are mis-quotes, or out and out lies. Their agenda is to mislead, lie, and spread hate about Obama instead of actually offer a comprehensive agenda or counter proposals. Because they have followed Limbaugh's lead, they will not defeat Obama in his second term agenda.

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM

What an insult to the memory of Dr. King.

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 5:06 AM

The behavioral effects of "American" slavery are still tragically obvious in this discussion. I was born in the West Indies and grew up in Canada. I don't see what's so wrong with this woman being a fan of Sarah Palin. Personally, I admire Obama's background as a community organizer, and his oratory is wonderful, but, like Sarah Palin, he's just a politician. Martin Luther King is revered for the fruit of his ideas, not his behaviour, and it seems fruitless to dispute these comparisons. An effective argument can be made for both morality and intent, but we know only know the results for MLK. I think by black people dismissing Sarah Palin they do themselves a great disservice (please excuse the pun). They don't have to like her, but they do have to understand her, and her supporters. It's too easy to understand and support Obama. It's far more challenging to understand and accept the people next door. Here's a black woman who's giving you (an admittedly ideosyncratic) viewpoint into a mindset you have never understood. You don't need to know her personal history any more than she needs to know yours. What you do need to do is, likely for the first time in your life, understand the mindset of someone you so obviously do not respect, and ask yourself why you think that way. What you think of as self-hate may in fact be you looking in the mirror, and now acknowledging the great question of your relative place in the ongoing history of America, and the world, of course.
So once again, you don't have to like Sarah Palin, but you do have to understand her, and as difficult as it may seem at first, respect her. If you don't you're personally insulting all of the people who do support her, and treating them like idiots (the way you think that they think of you).

buchaada August 30, 2009 at 5:24 AM

It is a pity that you'd conflate Dr. King with Mrs. Palin. Listening to this woman incite crowds, using racial hotbutton terms, leaves no doubt in my mind that her America, like Glenn Beck's, is a white America. Dr. King's was willing to place himself in harm's way for his beliefs. He spoke with intelligent compassion and taught nonviolent resistance. Can you honestly compare Mrs. Palin's mantra "Drill, baby, drill" to Dr. King's simple, yet inspirational "I have a dream"?

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 6:01 AM

Those that are thinking this is an insult, I believe, are taking it too far. There does not seem to be worship going on for either one; it is just some statements of why the writer believes that King would get Palin. For those who are making King a minister of God and higher up than Palin, you need to realize he is just a human being also--the same as Palin. No human being is perfect or sinless. My daughter did a research paper on King and King explained his extramaritial affairs as "a form of stress reduction."

Many Democrats get angry when someone says that King was a republican, but he was. He needs to be viewed honestly as everyone else should.

King had a great message and that is what we need to remember but do not put him higher up than any other human being as we are all equal.

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 6:38 AM

annonymous 6:01, no democrat gets angry when they say King was a republican. That is when southern Dems were the racists. That was before the GOP southern strategy. That is before LBJ broke with his party. So yes, MLK was a republican when it was really the party of equality. The GOP is in a sad state now, that MLK would not recognize, and you know it. It certainly is an insult to MLK to be compared to Palin.

Steve,  August 30, 2009 at 7:37 AM

I see racists here alright. you would compare Obama to MLK? I try to make nice with blacks every single day but it's people like you calling Americans who question their government racist that make it difficult to accomplish. my great grandfather sacrificed himself on the battlefield of gettysburg and I live by that sacrifice. he is greater than any political figure mankind has offered to me. he knowingly put his life on the line for freedom. when will you get it that you have joined the HUMAN RACE? I would have happily shaken MLK's hand and embraced him, yet you take all things Republican and toss them aside. please do not pass on the abhorrent bitterness to your children. I am anonymous above and Adrienne is a beautiful person.

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Gina M.,you say you see signs in N.C. sayin' "you are now entering KKK territory and it was in 1975...remember it was 1975.. this is important, which party was in charge, then?? thanks for keepin' an open mind...

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Gina M., why you suggest to keep Obama's name out of it? are you afraid of what we know what he really is? we know he's nowhere as near as the great MLK, who's for freedom compare to this pres. truth hurts...

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 8:35 AM

There is an adherent difference, but most of current or past Black Americans have not read the fact finding that Dr. Martin Luther King wrote while he was sitting in jail. I know you have Adrienne, but if you did not, please have all the current Brother's and Sister's that are following in the footsteps. I am a Hispanic man that has read his letter's and have great love for MLK and you are right!!! The truth will set you Free. I have a an African-American doctor who never read the letter (and she is 70+) why he is there. If you do not have a coppy please use a search engine or please ask me for it and I will love sharing it with you, because I see you do understand the real cuase of FREEDOM!!!

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Anonymous, black americans ARE being brainwashed by LIB. white society as in lib. leaders in Wash. D.C. Palin WANTS blacks to succeed...as conservatives do..look what white libs. do to blacks all those years, stayin' poor... nothin's changes.. you think they want to be on welfare for the most of their life? think about it, think hard...

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Anonymous, which party runs the schools, the teachers, the unions, the teachings? and grades is in bad shape? you think MLK is gonna take it seeing black kids or any race going down the tube? i KNOW not!!

rexwine August 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM

So, you've met Palin. Have you also spent time with Obama? Don't you think that matters before you cast your pre-judgment?

fgtaylor August 30, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I'm not a regular reader of your blog, i just happened to stumble over it. Like others who have responded, I am speechless over your attempt to connect Sarah Palin to Dr. King.
Dr. King never stood before a mob of people shouting "kill him!'' in reference to people who disagreed with King. He never allowed that, not even one time. And this was at time when his people were being shot, their homes fired-bombed, and their churches burned. He warned against violence, and called on everyone to disagree without being disagreeable.
To this day, Palin has never spoken out against the hate speech of her followers, and she continues to imply that Obama some kind of terrorist, and that he's trying to kill white people. You're entitled to your opinion about Sarah Palin. But shame on you, Adrienne, for your revisionist history of Dr. King.

Adrienne Ross August 30, 2009 at 10:46 AM

For those who seek to shame me, forget it. I am amazed at the people who say not to put Sarah Palin on a pedestal and then get upset because they feel I put her on a pedestal next to the one they put Dr. King on! How hypocrital.

For those who read carefully, I compared Dr. King's love for freedom and his country, his willingness to take the heat instead of shutting up to that of the same qualities in Sarah Palin. She is not M.L.K., and he is not her. But they have similarities, and as I wrote, I believe he would have respected her. You can disagree if you want: That's the beauty of a free country. Unfortunately, the current administration is trying to take freedoms away.

As for me being a sell-out or having self-hatred. PLEASE! My Black friends joke and say I'm the only Black who speaks up for Blacks and readily brings up Black issues in a room full of White people-without shame or apology, so trying to cast me as one who hates her own just won't work. I know who I am. As many people around here know, I am a descendant of the family of Harriet Ross Tubman. I have a cry for freedom running through my veins. So I will not spend my time trying to convince someone I love my people and ALL people. Again, I know who I am.

The far Left agenda is designed to keep Blacks down. If you don't see that, you've been bamboozled. If you don't see that personal responsibility and faith in God trump reliance on the government, I don't know what to tell you. If you don't see that Planned Parenthood, which purposely sets up shop in Black neighborhoods, is intended to offer us abortions to destroy our population, you are blind. Check out the founder and what Sanger's purpose was. Don't you know that more Black babies are being aborted now than are being born and they say if we continue in this way, we will be wiped out? YET, the people on the LEFT continue to support these causes and dupe you into thinking they have your best interest at heart so that you will continue to support them. Sick! They lie and tell us Republicans are racists, they offer us a handout, so we can think they're our friends and keep them in office. It's a sick agenda. And I'm not buying into it. And I am not apologizing.

As for Sarah Palin, she is not a racist. You cannot give one concrete example of that racism, and that's why you speak in generalities. I will defend her because she deserves to be defended just as I would defend you if you were being smeared. Right is right. Period.

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM

FG TAYOR, is that all you got? the ONLY thing that really bothers you are only racist? really, we all know who spewed out racist remark just to get away from the REAL answers. the lib. leaders HAVE no real answers when they get the tough questions...we are tired of the same old thing they put out year after year, goes all the way back to the 40s, 50s, 60s.. we are smarter than that.. if you read carefully, Adrienne Ross is tryin' so hard to say that the great truthful MLK wants FREEDOM and JOBS at the Freedom March to ALL American Citizens of ALL colors, as is the truthful Sarah Palin...don't listen to the fake stories given by the lib. media, if you do, don't just agree with it just like that, check out the stories eleswhere and make sure it's the truth...it's not hard to seek the REAL truth...you will all feel better for not being a fool....

Adrienne Ross August 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Spelling error in my former comment: *hypocritical

Rogue August 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM

A love of America is perhaps the only similarity between King and Palin, and I'm not even sure she possesses a love of America that exceeds her love of herself.

Other comparisons:

King delivered one of the best-known and best-loved speeches of all time. Palin delivered a gobbledegook speech trying to explain how quitting was not really quitting.

King was willing to go to jail for his beliefs. Palin wouldn't even visit the villages that were most extremely affected by hunger and cold last January. Where was that "servant's heart" then?

King let the hate slurs cast by rabble rousers slide off his back and turned the other cheek. Palin whines about minor attacks by unknown bloggers and then threatened to sue them. (Although she never followed through. Ms. Palin is not very good about finishing things she starts.)

I could go on, but this post is getting too long as it is.

Adrienne Ross August 30, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Rogue,

Yes, your comment seems long--but only because it lacks substance. A lack of substance makes most things--no matter how short--seem too long.

Sarah did visit the villages this winter--and brought food.

Sarah lets A LOT of things pass without addressing them. However, if you consider "minor" the attacks that she and her children have endured at the hands of people who simply have a personal issue with her--people who are despicable in their agendas, actions, and allegations--you're living under a rock. Yes, she began talking about suing after she left office, as a private citizen. To which millions of Americans said, "What took you so long? You should have sued these hate-driven slanderers a long time ago." You can call the attacks against Sarah Palin many things, but if "minor" comes to your mind, something is seriously wrong. Even people who do not particularly like have admitted that the attacks against her are unprecedented, vicious, and disgusting--honest people, that is.

I believe I made myself clear concerning the similarities between Dr. King and Sarah Palin. You don't agree? Fine. The truth still stands. Your comment--long or short--doesn't change the facts.

JeanA August 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Adrienne, You are a strong woman. God Bless You.

THE TRUTH,  August 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Your no better then a hooker Adrienne. SELLOUT!

I hope you got a good view of the cotton feild from the "mastuhs" house. You make Clarence Thomas blush. What will you tell your grandchildren when they ask you about the first black president? "Sorry kids I woulden't know about that because I was to busy kissing a racist Alaskans ass to notice."

Your a black shame.

Adrienne Ross August 30, 2009 at 11:18 PM

The Truth (Lie): I am letting your comment stand because it proves your ignorance.

What I will tell my grandchildren is that I lived based on principle and I didn't let people like you control my decisions. What I will tell them is that my identity was in Christ, and I didn't sell out His Word so somebody would like me--and I didn't care when they ridiculed my faith either. I will tell them that I stood up for the values that are righteous: life and liberty--which only comes through Christ. And I will tell them that I actually could think for myself, rather than going along with people so they could feel better about themselves. I will also tell them what the real plantation is: people who are so interested in making history that they SELL OUT what's right.

I am not a Black person who needs you to pat me on the back. So mentioning the "mastuh's house" will not change my mind, won't hurt my feelings, and won't prove your point. See, I truly am free. Only someone who is really on the plantation would even make the comment you made. Perhaps you should read my first post in the archives called, "Get Off the Plantation." What a shame that you don't believe a Black person can actually think for herself, but instead should go along with the masses--just because. How sad.

As for what I'll tell them about the first Black president, I will tell them what Dr. King told us: Judge by content of character, not skin color. And when they learn that this particular president--who is as much White as he is Black, by the way--did not stand for life, but instead sided with Planned Parenthood which started with the expressed goal of killing off Black people, they'll understand. When they learn that he would not vote to give medical care to a baby born after a botched abortion, they will understand. When they learn that his policies regarding the family were the antithesis of what God says is acceptable, they will understand. And if none of those things do it, once they learn about people like you, they will REALLY understand--and then they'll thank me for being a person of values who couldn't care less the names you call me.

And about Sarah Palin, they will say, "Grandma, why did they call her a racist?" I will say that "They never could say. They had no proof. See, they didn't deal in THE TRUTH. Instead, they used LIES to promote their agenda. They went along with anything anyone told them. They just wanted to remain faithful to a group that owned them." And when they say, "Wow, how sad. Sounds like slavery," I will say, "You got it."

Did I answer your question?

Lisa Graas August 30, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I'm so glad I'm a Christian and realize there is only one race -- the human race. You are absolutely right, Adrienne. The person you responded to here lives in a world bounded by race. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

I wrote a post recently I'd like you to see if you have time. It's my contribution for the anniversary of McCain's choice. The America I Know.

I was taught so many confusing things about history. I wanted better for my children. I've taught them about both Lincoln and Davis and have made them pick cotton because I want them to REALLY understand things, not just live in some "reality" concocted by someone else. These issues are COMPLEX and.....more importantly, MANMADE!! These "racial issues" are manmade issues. I pray people will come to understand it, but there's no way we will ever ever understand manmade "principles" even if we wallow in them constantly. They're still just manmade.

Bless you, Adrienne.

Meadow August 30, 2009 at 11:46 PM

It is so easy to be contraversial when you can do so by being 'anonymous'.

Adrienne, it may seem a stretch to make the comparison that you did, but only to those who are looking for a reason to act out (like 3 yr olds), call names and have public temper tantrums. They feel that by castigating you, they are tarring Sarah Palin.

The orchestrators of the so-called 'racist' defugalty have determined that nothing has worked, so the race card is the next on their list.

I find it amazing that for a nobody, failed, quitter, non-entity yada yada yada Sarah Palin sure occupies the thoughts of a great many people. If she were truely not a threat to the status quo, you would hear or read nothing about her.

Hang in there, Adrienne!

Phillip August 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Ten years from now will offer a different perspective. By then the consequences of the Obama policies will be more clear, and the benefits of returning to conservative values will be more clear also. I think about how many in Lincoln's day despised him, and now most Americans hold him in high regard. During MLK's day, no doubt many would not have believed he would eventually have a holiday in his honor. So now a conservative leader like Palin draws hatred from the fans of Obama and liberalism. But in a few short years from now, when some political liberal heroes of today have fallen on their face, it is then that the character of conservative leaders like Palin will be clear to some who cannot see it today. And I appreciate that you can see the character qualities in some conservatives leaders that will take others longer to discover.

Steve,  August 31, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Truth, your remarks sadden me.

This season I will spend more time than usual packing food and toys for families. I am not a standing member of any particular organization. I volunteer where needed. Shall I succumb to my mastah's house or follow my heart? I am a 53 year old, white, conservative male and make due for my own family with hard work from my private business. I get no stipends from any government agency. My agape is not about me and I do not preach to the needy. I am a christian but not particularly religious. My problem is that I cannot endure human pain. Pain has no color. There are millions like me. We don't smoke cigars and drink an afternoon scotch like our politicians. We don't show off our charity badge or make the slightest of references to our deeds. We don't pretend to be selfless while showing off the big bow on our new dress. We don't aspire to cronyism. We just do.

Test yourself Truth. What will help most considering it is a fact that those with less, give more? If our government taxes me more, will I give more or will I have less to offer? The same reasoning can be used with cutting government. Mr. Bush is no great example however, when Mr. Obama said that Bush tax cuts amounted to giving wealth was that a twist of words? What if he had said amounted to taking less? Taking less always sounds better. Mr. Obama is going after charities and THAT is the truth. If it doesn't stop, we will all be relying on them but the worst part is the pain.

Anonymous,  August 31, 2009 at 8:02 AM

I know Dr King would greatly admire Adrienne Ross; like Dr. King, Adrienne Ross honestly and heroically defends and fights for God's Freedom among so many Democrats who wish to keep her down.

Adrienne Ross, your character motivates me to know the truth in what Dr King knew long; God's Freedom will prevail!

Your courage inspires me to believe in the American Dream.

God Bless you always

Susan

Rogue August 31, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Palin did not take food to the villages most in need. Instead, after 6 long weeks and media attention focusing on the issues, she finally visited villages that had food and fuel for the sake of a photo op. Perhaps you should view the footage of the villages affected by disaster to see that these were not the same villages Palin paid attention to.

And now Palin has blown off her close supporters in Anchorage by failing to attend their petition signing after she pledged to be the first name on it. She can definitely talk the talk, but she rarely follows through.

Adrienne Ross August 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Ohhhh, she didn't visit the ones "most in need," you say. So you can gauge those who out-need others? And the ones she helped don't measure up to your "most in need" status, so they don't count?

A photo-op? Yeah, okay. Clearly, it doesn't matter what she does; you're determined that her motives are wrong. I'm sure the people who were blessed by her giving didn't see it as a photo-op. I'm sure they appreciated it.

As for the petition signing, they already began getting signatures prior to the event, so she couldn't be number one. Her spokesperson made it clear she will sign it upon her return to the state. But I definitely am glad to see this petition circulating. The point is to get the necessary signatures--any and everyone is important so that Alaska can stop giving abortions to twelve and thirteen year olds without parental notification. I'm so glad Sarah supports this and has fought for it. In fact, she has fought for more than notification. What she and all common-sense people really want is required parental consent. Actually, what I want is no abortion at all. But I digress.

If you don't agree with my views, feel free to go to an anti-Palin site. There are plenty of them around; some are being paid too, aren't they? It would be great if you could stick around, but I have a feeling you won't be happy here. Life is short: be happy. The only true happiness comes from Christ. So I wish you His best and pray that you will know and embrace His love for you.

FollowTheConstitution,  September 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM