Fagan Who? More Apologies to Sarah Palin Coming

Monday, August 3, 2009

The big surprise of the weekend was not the crazy rumor that Sarah and Todd Palin were headed for Divorce Court. It only takes half a brain to know and one eye to see that this couple is madly in love with each other. The big surprise also was not the conversations about President Obama planning to raise taxes on even people making under $250,000, thereby breaking a campaign promise. Anyone who believed Obama when he said it was as gullible as...well...as those who believed he really was looking to reach common ground on abortion, never heard Rev. Wright say anything anti-American in 20 years of attending his church, and didn't launch his political career in the living room of Bill Ayers. But I digress.

The big surprise was an apology printed in the Anchorage Daily News by Dan Fagan. Now, for those who don't know, Fagan is a talk show host in Alaska. He is most known as a chief Palin hater in her state--very vocal, very disrespectful, very anti-Palin. So what happened?

Some are ecstatic that he would have such a divine revelation. Others have chosen to dismiss his apology as nonsense. Still there are those who are so wounded by the magnitude of attacks on Sarah Palin that they don't know what to think, so distrustful of anyone are they--and understandably so.

I understand each of these perspectives:

Group 1: Wow! Look what the Lord has done! Only God could change Dan Fagan's heart so dramatically.

Group 2: Please! After what he has done, he'll have to do better than that. If he expects us to believe that sorry apology, he's out of his mind.

Group 3: We don't know what to think. We'll be keeping our eyes on this fella.

So what do I think? I understand each of these perspectives. Although the article was written by Fagan, my answer to the question really has nothing to do with him at all. In fact, in spite of his anti-Sarah history, as far as I'm concerned, he's inconsequential in this whole conversation.

What?! But he's been one of those anklebiters you've been writing about for months and months, Adrienne.

I understand that.

But he has been disrespectful and a thorn in Sarah's side, Adrienne.

I understand that, too.

But he has been a ring leader in the movement to destroy someone you hold in such high regard, Adrienne.

Yes, I am aware of this.

So what gives?

Okay, let me tell you.

Look, I'm not a Sarah fan, I'm not a groupie, and I'm not a cheerleader. I'm a Sarah supporter. I believe in her, what she stands for, and, with the help of God, where she is able to take this nation. I trust that she has been endowed with a wisdom that is much lacking and much needed in America. I work hard to defend her against the attacks of those who speak ill of her and seek to devour her and her family. But more than anything, my commitment to Sarah Palin is one of prayer and intercession. As I have even told her, I feel God has called me to pray for her and her family. This is a responsibility that I believe God has placed upon me, and one that I take very, very seriously. My mindset is this: I can yell "Sarah!" all I want, I can blog to my fingers fall off, and I can give interviews until my voice is hoarse, but if I'm not praying for her, if I'm not willing to cry out to God on her behalf, if I'm not willing to stand in the gap, as they say, then I'm no good to or for Sarah Palin, and all my support is in vain. Period!

So what does this have to do with anything? It has everything to do with everything--and it's the reason I say that Fagan is really not important in this thing. His epiphany is just one of many to come. Whether he's sincere or not and whether he can last in his new focus or not don't even matter. What matters is a word I believe God laid on my heart not that long ago, something that I have shared with some, including some people in Alaska, something that I've felt so strongly recently, and was only confirmed by Fagan's apology. Now if you think I'm waxing spiritual...you're right, because this is spiritual. This is what's been on my heart:

Expect two things:

1) In time the eyes of some who have fought against Sarah will be opened, and they will see the person she truly is. These people will be made painfully aware that they were deceived, that they were tools in the hand of the enemy, and were used by him to try to destroy her. And when they see it, they will hurt that they were so completely, utterly deceived. It will be a hard realization for them--but they will repent.

2) Some will simply never get it, never be able to see their error, no matter the evidence surrounding them, and they will not be able to understand why Sarah's support has grown and why she has been so successful.

So the apology issued, as far as I can see, is only the beginning of more to come, just a confirmation of what I knew was coming. It seems so wild, so far-fetched, so completely out of the blue--but expect more. On the flip side, Bill Maher's recent comment that America is a "stupid country because Sarah Palin could be president" is evidence of an inability to "get it." He knows she can be president, but he simply cannot wrap his brain around it, nor does he even see his error in his attacks on her.

Not everyone is going to understand the popularity, power, and success Sarah Palin will increasingly experience, and I'm sure that's no surprise to you. But mark my words: more realizations that the personal attacks against her were wrong, and more accurate, evil, are coming. Below check out examples of both. First, see the video clip of Bill Maher's "stupid" statement. You only have to watch the first 30 seconds to see what I mean. Then, read Dan Fagan's apology, for which he seems to credit God.

Clarity is a wonderful thing. You can be plugging along in life day-by-day thinking everything is fine, when all of a sudden out of nowhere it hits you: a moment of clarity. You start seeing things differently.

For me, times of clarity have always come as a result of my faith. Over the past 30 years my relationship with God has been much like others I've had. It grows hot and cold. I will acknowledge I am to blame for the cold spurts. I have not always prioritized my relationship with God and I can point to this as the reason for most of the problems, heartaches and troubles I've experienced.

Despite my inconstancy and unfaithfulness, God has always come through for me. He pulls me out of jam after jam. Through reading the Bible he gives me wisdom, insight and guidance. I have also experienced times when I would get a thought that would bring such intense inner peace and clarity, I knew it was from God. Jesus explained the phenomenon this way in John 10:27. "My sheep know my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

You say, what if you get a thought and you think it is from God but isn't? This is possible, but I believe that is what his word, the Bible is for. The Bible teaches scripture must back up everything.

Which brings me to a verse a friend recently shared with me. It is found in Ephesians and says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

When I heard this verse it instantly confirmed what I had suspected for some time. Too much of what was coming out of my radio show, Web site, and Sunday column was unwholesome. For some reason I had convinced myself it was my job to run down and criticize others. It is one thing to analyze policy and issues. It is an entirely different thing to tear down someone's character with personal attacks.

I will tell you I am ashamed of the way I have conducted myself publicly in recent years and frankly I am embarrassed by it too.

When I criticize politicians for the policies they propose, I have no right to assume I know their motives. They may honestly believe they are doing the right thing.

When State Sen. Hollis French held up a parental consent bill in his committee it infuriated me and I attacked him personally. What I should have considered is that French may have honestly believed he was doing the right thing. I had no right to say the things I said about him. The same is true for other politicians I have torn down simply because the policies they favor didn't line up with my worldview.

So where do we go from here? If after this column I still have my Daily News gig and radio show, I am going to change the way I critique our leaders. I'll focus on policy and not the personal. Yes, if I believe a politician is acting corruptly I will say so, but only if there is ample evidence. I will not speculate on the motive behind a politician promoting a policy.

Does this change mean I will lose many of my radio listeners? Perhaps. But recently I've lost the joy in my work. It has become a grind. I now know why. If my profession calls for tearing down others to be successful, then I'll just have to find another career.

In conclusion, I want to publicly apologize to Sarah Palin, Sean Parnell, Hollis French, Art Hackney, Mark Begich, Frank Murkowski, Matt Claman, Lisa Murkowski, Don Young, Ivan Moore and too many others that limited space won't allow me to name.

Over the coming weeks I will be reaching out to each of these leaders and others and apologizing in person. I also apologize to those of you who have followed my work. I have let you down and I am sorry.

susitna-flower August 3, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Thank you Adrienne for following up with this blog today, you said it well.
April

Meadow August 3, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Good thoughts, Adrienne. We just thought we had lived through the most interesting time of our lives, we didn't. There is definitely more to come our way.

I, for sure, will be waiting to witness :)

Lisa Graas August 3, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Great post, Adrienne. I trust Fagan is being honest. I emailed to tell him I will be praying for him because this is merely the beginning of his journey. I also told him that he won't find his name on my blog because he was someone who tore down and the only things I ever read about him were by people tearing him down because he is someone who tears down....so he "never hit my radar" as I told him.....but I told him that I rejoice with him. Also, that now that he has made this decision to respond to God's grace in this way, Satan will try to tempt him and he will have a tough road....but that I will be praying for him. Also, I told him that I join with him in pledging not to be one who tears down....and asked him to pray for me, as well, in that regard.

If our love for people makes us hate those who attack them, we don't really know what love is.....do we? I forgive him fully and I hope everyone else will, too. Give him his space, pray for him and pray also for the others who attack.

About expectations, I never "expect" things from people, good or ill. I hurt when they do evil and I rejoice when they do good, but I don't expect either one. We are all clay in the Potter's hands.

The story of the Prodigal Son might be in order for study.

Bless you, Adrienne.

Adrienne August 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Lisa,

Good thoughts--and wonderful of you to reach out to Dan.

I agree that we don't expect from people. But we do expect from God as He works on people.

oneXSturtle (LindaW) August 3, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I'm waiting for the day Keith Olbermann and Bill Maher apologizes to her.

Karen Allen August 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Great post, Adrienne. Do I have to take his picture out of my Sarah Palin the Fighter video? Awwwww. ;)

Karen Allen August 3, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Oh no! I don't! Cause he's in the Sarah Palin the Maneater video. HAHAHAHA Maybe God ate him instead. ;)

moms4freedom August 4, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Great Post Adrienne! I can see your point that Fagan is irrelevant in all of this and from the bigger picture perspective I agree. But I also think that Sarah's heart has to have been hurt
from all of this (I know mine has for her) and these apologies do matter in all of our attitudes and forgiveness of those who have wronged her. I liked Linda's comment which I will try to apply as well.

"Also, I told him that I join with him in pledging not to be one who tears down....and asked him to pray for me, as well, in that regard."

Eunice August 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Adrienne, although Sarah has not made THE decision yet, I have no doubt in my mind that Sarah Palin will be sworn in as the next president of the United States of America on 20th January, 2013. No doubt at all. Good WILL triumph over evil.

I was having a quiet bible reading session a while back, when this VERSE jumped at me and I immediately thought of and prayed for Sarah.

Mark 12:10-11 reads (Jesus was asking his disciples):
---Have you not read the scripture: 'The very stone which the builders rejected has become THE HEAD OF THE CORNER; this was THE LORD'S DOING, and it is marvellous in our eyes'? The original scripture is in Psalm 118:22-23.

Although I’m not an American, Sarah Palin is in my prayers daily and if the God I serve is the same God Sarah and her family believe so much in, then really there is nothing we (her supporters) need to worry about…God will have the LAST word, and it will be marvellous in our eyes…

God bless you.

Adrienne August 4, 2009 at 12:21 PM

moms4freedom,

I totally agree with you. Let me clarify that I wasn't dismissing Fagan in the sense of saying his apology means nothing. That's not what I meant at all. I'm sure as people acknowledge that they have done wrong, it means something to Sarah, touches her, and I'm sure she sees God's hand in it.

What I meant is that what God laid on my heart is more about what He's doing rather than Fagan. Fagan is one of many that the Lord will touch. So when I say "Fagan who?" I'm saying there will be many more, of many different names, who have been a part of the enemy's plan to take Sarah down--and many will see the light. It will be Fagan plus a host of others. That was my point, in case I wasn't clear enough. Yes, they matter to Sarah, for she will recognize the hand of the Lord in it all. And it's the LORD'S doing.

Adrienne August 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Eunice,

I share that confidence with you about Sarah's future. The Lord will get the glory. Some, as mentioned in the post, will shake their heads trying to figure out how it could happen, not getting it, but just as the Scripture that you quoted says, "It's the Lord's doing."

Thank you for being faithful to pray for Sarah. You are so needed.

God bless you.

Robin's New Song August 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM

God bless you Adrienne, for your openness and honesty. Humility comes before honor. The Lord will give you the ears of those who are searching for truth. It is difficult to fight against wickedness,while being lead by Gods peace, not fighting with human strategy,engaged in bitterness, but with our spiritual weapons. I've been praying that God would begin to bring back sensitive eyes and ears to His people, that we would become trained to discern good and evil, knowing His still small voice. Heb.5:14 "Strong meat belongs to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of USE have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil." Stay in the secret place of HIs presence, keep up the fight of faith, motivated by His Truth! Victory will be won!

Adrienne August 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I just left a comment over on Team Sarah concerning this post, and I want to post it here as well:

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate those who recognize God's hand and what He is doing. I am not going to debate whether Fagan is sincere or not; it's not my place. Like I said in the title, "Fagan who?" My point remains the same: More apologies will come because God is going to move, is already moving--as He showed me and as I shared with people before Fagan's apology.

I will caution one thing, however. For those of us who believe God has called Sarah for this time, for those of us who pray for her--please know that your prayers have not been in vain. If you pray, expect God to answer. As God begins to change the hearts of people--and He is doing so--be careful not to dismiss it simply because it didn't take place in the manner you expected, because it was a mere two weeks after they slammed Sarah, because they went public with it before approaching her first. Be careful. Sometimes God comes and we miss Him because we want to critique the manner in which He came, as history teaches.

Now, for those who don't necessarily share that faith that God is in all this with Sarah, all I can say is He is. He has a plan for her life. He has anointed her for NOW. None of this has been without His presence. It has been incredibly difficult for Sarah and her family, but it has not been in vain--and she has never walked alone.

Robin's New Song August 4, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I too, will write Mr. Fagan :)

Anonymous,  August 4, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I have been praying for Sarah and Family for a while too. It works.
T

Jackytc August 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Abraham Lincoln said; "that his only object was "that of being truly esteemed of my fellow men, by rendering myself worthy of their esteem" (Lincoln by David H Donald, p.43) I cannot believe that OB compares himself with Lincoln! I am reading this book and Sarah is the one that can be compared with Lincoln!

I'm praying and saving money for the trip to DC at 20th January, 2013. We are having a, I believe, Prayer Awakenings in America. Fagan's words are the starting signs of the power GOD, the people are getting together to fight in their knees for America.

“Put on the armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rules, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places” Ephesians 6:11-12

LoveThatGirl August 4, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Hi Adrienne,
I e-mail Mr. Fagan, yesterday, and here is what I wrote.

I don't listen to your Radio show nor do I follow you in print. I did hear of how nasty you have been to Sarah Palin. I don't know you and you certainly don't know me. But I do know God and He knows me, for He created me in my mothers womb.
I am glad that you have decided to come clean and do a better job in representing God on your Radio show and in print. As you know we are here to accomplish His will for our lives. You have been blessed with a talent, but instead of helping God's children you allowed Satan to manipulate your thoughts and work to accomplish his dirty work. I hope you will continue to read God's living word and begin working for Him by allowing His spirit to fill you and accomplish His work. I will add you to my prayer and I will post your name on my Prayer Warriors for Sarah Palin web site. I hope you will get a chance to meet Sarah and apologize to her on your Radio show. Sarah is one of God's children and a forgiving person. I know for certain she will forgive you. But you do have to ASK for forgiveness, not just say I'm sorry. If for some reason you decide to to allow yourself to be used by satan again I will pray that God will stop you on your tracks in whatever way, form, or fashion in order to get your attention. Mr. Fagan, God has bless you with a talent, use it for His glory and NOT for yours.
Blessing, Irma

Deborah Hammond August 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Amen, Amen Adrienne! I completely agree with your analysis of how the Lord is working both with Sarah and her family. Not to mention how He is "moving and shaking” her enemies as well--what an awesome God we serve! I will pray in agreement with for the Palins and for His will to be done in their lives as well as for your protection and strength as this very exciting time unfold!
God bless you,