Public School Library Propagates Falsehood That Governor Palin Banned Books

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How ironic it is that when news emerges of Governor Palin's book becoming available prior to its expected date, she shows up in my school's library. No, she didn't show up in person and no, there was no announcement to inform interested students about her book, which reportedly is already number one on the Barnes and Noble list.

She showed up in the center of a display highlighting Banned Books Week.

I was walking on my way to the weight room this evening when I stopped dead in my tracks after taking a few steps past the library. I backed up and took in the display in the window, which includes various books, quotes, and poetry about reading and book banning. Only one person's picture is a part of the display--and that person is Governor Palin. It was included in an old article called "Sarah Palin, aspiring book banner?" which was published in the LA Times a year ago. That article makes up a homemade poster that says, "Sarah Palin + Banned Books = Censorship."

Listen, I'm not talking about a local area library. I'm talking about a public school library, where they use this week to demonize Palin as the enemy of free thought, reading, and exploration. Nevermind the plethora of information out there that she never sought to ban books but had asked a general question of a librarian to discover how she would deal with censorship. Nevermind the numerous times Governor Palin has herself stated she never sought to ban books. And nevermind the fact that some of the books on the list, like Harry Potter, hadn't even been published yet! No, facts aren't important.

What's important is the growing determination to further a Left-wing agenda to destroy Governor Palin. What's important is the attempt to indoctrinate our children. I say indoctrinate because that is exactly what this is. As if it weren't bad enough that some schools are singing the "Mmm Mmm Mmm" praises of President Obama, chanting "Change Has Come," and changing the "Jesus" in the song "Jesus Loves the Little Children" to include Obama, now I walk past the high school library in the district where I teach, and there are falsehoods about the former vice presidential candidate. There is a clear attempt to lead our children down a particular road, and somebody has to be the road block. That somebody will be me...tomorrow when I walk back in that building and address this issue.

That article in the school library window states in part:

Librarian Jessamyn West, who blogs at librarian.net, writes, "Usually I’m just happy to see libraries even mentioned in national level politics, but not like this."

This seems like a good time to mention Banned Books Week, beginning Sept. 27, which celebrates the freedom to read. 2007's most challenged book was "And Tango Makes Three," a children's book about a penguin with two dads; books by Mark Twain and Alice Walker appear, again, on the list. Exactly what books Palin might have wanted to ban have not been identified (other than some unsupported rumors), but it's safe to assume that she won't be joining in to celebrate the idea that no books should be banned at all.

I find it interesting that this particular article states that those books weren't identified. Another falsehood. Perhaps they left that out because the truth was embarrassing. Yes, it's embarrassing to list books that didn't exist when she supposedly tried to rid the world of them.

On the left and right of the display in the library window is the poem "Manifesto" by author, Ellen Hopkins. In the poem, Hopkins blasts "zealots, biggots, and false patriots," for their desire to censor. This poem is the official poem of this year's Banned Books Week--and Governor Palin's picture is the centerpiece!

What gives them the right to place this attack in the library window? Who approved the display--or who overlooked it? Am I the only person who walked by and saw it? What impression does it give our children? What impact will this have on their vote in a few years? I am livid, as I should be. This is absolutely unacceptable behavior.

Anyone who hasn't been hiding under a rock in the past year ought to know the truth about the book banning issue, but in case someone has just slithered out, here are some facts about Palin and the so-called book banning issue.

In an article called "Palin did not ban books in Wasilla as mayor," the USA Today reported

Taylor Griffin, a McCain spokesman, said Palin raised the issue of the library's policy because there had been widespread discussion in Wasilla at that time about banning books. She was trying to understand the city's policy, he said.

"Sarah Palin has never asked anyone to ban a book," Griffin said. "It shouldn't be surprising that the new mayor of a city that had seen recent protests over books and was in the process of re-evaluating the book-challenge policies at its library would ask the librarian what those policies were."

Michelle Malkin submitted in "The bogus Sarah Palin Banned Books List" this P.D.S. Alert:

Palin Derangement Syndrome strikes again. This time it’s hysterical librarians and their readers on the Internet disseminating a bogus list of books Gov. Sarah Palin supposedly banned in 1996. Looks like some of these library people failed reading comprehension. Take a look at the list below and you’ll find books Gov. Palin supposedly tried to ban…that hadn’t even been published yet. Example: The Harry Potter books, the first of which wasn’t published until 1998.

The smear merchants who continue to circulate the list also failed to do a simple Google search, which would have showed them that the bogus Sarah Palin Banned Book List is almost an exact copy-and-paste reproduction of a generic list of “Books Banned at One Time or Another in the United States” that has been floating around the Internet for years. STACLU notes that the official Obama campaign website is also perpetuating the fraud. And it’s spread to craigslist, where some unhinged user is posting images likening Palin to Hitler. Here it is again.

[...]

It’s a fake. Not true. Total B.S. A lie.

If it gets sent to you by a moonbat friend or family member, set ‘em all straight. Fight the smears. They’ve only just begun.

Malkin hit the nail on the head. They had only just begun last year, and they still exist--in our public school libraries, of all places. Read her entire article here, which includes the bogus list of books.

FactCheck.org reported:

She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term.

[...]

One accusation claims then-Mayor Palin threatened to fire Wasilla’s librarian for refusing to ban books from the town library. Some versions of the rumor come complete with a list of the books that Palin allegedly attempted to ban. Actually, Palin never asked that books be banned; no books were actually banned; and many of the books on the list that Palin supposedly wanted to censor weren't even in print at the time, proving that the list is a fabrication.

I could go on and on, but it's not necessary. As stated, anyone who cared to know, who actually did a little fact checking of their own, already got the 411 on the deal. However, I am addressing it again because obviously some who are supposed to be in the business of educating, have not been informed or are ignoring the information, and their ignorance is impacting--shall I say infecting--our children. This cannot go unchallenged--and it won't.

My approach tomorrow? I will go into the library with the facts and present them respectfully. I will ask that Governor Palin's picture and the article be removed. If that is denied, I will request they hang another article next to it--which I will graciously provide--that refutes the falsehoods. If I do not get anywhere with the librarian, well, I'll go to the next level. It is my hope that my talk with the librarian will suffice, but we'll see what happens.

No doubt as Governor Palin's book continues to sell, even before it hits the shelves, those with an agenda will beef up their attacks to misrepresent her as uninformed, anti-intellectual, and unworthy of paying attention to. I have some serious problems with that, but as a teacher, my main problem is that their misrepresentation hurts our children. So let the truth be told.

Below are pictures of the high school library display.

Anonymous,  September 29, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I'm sorry, but, you need to get some perspective in your life. You may be hoping to be the new "Black" friend of Ms. Palin (because she doesn't have any), but, regardless, you need to really take a step back and even pray if that's what helps you.

There are conflicting views on what exactly Ms. Palin did with regard to encouraging books to be banned. It is a gray zone. But, she represents a group of people who DO LIKE TO BAN AND BURN BOOKS. That is a fact and not a gray zone. By siding with her, you side with a group of bigoted and mean people. That is the side you've chosen.

No one is being indoctrinated at your School. You're lucky if you're actually achieving basic teaching, since schools are highly underfunded, over populated, and the US public school system after a couple of decades is a disaster. A poster isn't going to make a difference in a child's life. Sorry.

Ask yourself, why do you personally, give a hoot about Ms. Palin? Why do you so desperately want to relate to her? She is a fairly mean person who doesn't appear to care about anyone but herself. Go back and watch her massively snarky VP acceptance speech. It was an example of a very nasty tone that has festered and grabbed hold of white, right-wing, intolerance. It appeals to book burners.

Why you? Really, look in the mirror. Are you greedily hoping for your own fame? Are you so desperate to get out of where you are that you are glomming onto this person? Why do you worship a false idol?

Many of us actually feel sorry for you.

Karen Allen September 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Wow.

The quality of the display looks like students might have assembled it? If so, then as insane as the poster is, you may run into the whole free speech issue.

I do hope you get to exercise your own free speech right and can set them straight with facts.

What they have up borders on slander.

Go get 'em, Adrienne. ;)

LoveThatGirl September 29, 2009 at 10:33 PM

This Librarian is NOT much of a librarian and should not be allowed to teach children since she did NOT do her own research.

I'm glad you will be speaking with her tomorrow, if they decline to correct their "mistake" then I suggest you send this to Fox News. :)

Adrienne Ross September 29, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Anonymous @10:20 P.M.

I allowed you your say--as absurd as it is.

Why does race have to play into it? It amazes me how consistently some people play the race card. Her "new Black friend"?! Please! This isn't about race or friendship. It's about what is and is not acceptable--plain and simple.

"Why do [I] give a hoot?" You've got to be kidding me. Not worth a response.

"Feel sorry for [me]"? Okay, sure. LOL!

Anonymous, why have you skirted the issue of the post itself? Hmm...

Anonymous,  September 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM

What this 'librarian' did is outrageous! There is no room for this type of slander in public schools. It reeks of the Ashley Judd "Stop Sarah Palin from killing poor defenseless wolves" propaganda. I am moved more toward home schooling each day. I know you will follow through.

J Evans,  September 29, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Anonymous, if you are so pride of who you are and your beliefs, why not use your name? Please tell me what group you are referring to that bans and burns books? Do they have a blog or website?
As far as conflicting views on what Palin did concerning books, why don't you do the research and find out for yourself instead using the same old talking points. As an x-mayor it is public record what Palin did, investigate.
Are you a doctor? How do you know what indoctrinates and what don't, the minds of children?
Why don't you want to relate to her? Are you a racist? Maybe Adrienne has done her research and knows the facts concerning Mrs. Palin and judges her not on the color of her skin but on her character. Bro. King,Jr. was a republican and wanted no part of a party that wanted to continue to enslave his people.
Free your mind. Read the constitution. Get your facts in order before blogging about things you are not sure of.
I have followed Adrienne's blogs and have never find her to be dishonest, racist or an idol worshipper. The only one she gives honor and praise to is God. From what I have read of her blogs, she appreciates the morals, honesty and character of Palin.
Maybe you should have a tell with God and ask him to tell you the truth about Mrs. Palin.

Nande September 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Thanks for your diligence. I think your offer to put up a "clarifying" article next to the one currently in the window is more than reasonable.

Of course, it would be preferable to put up a photo/article of someone who ACTUALLY banned books if they are trying to make a point, but...barring that, presenting both sides of the Palin issue would suffice.

Shane Vander Hart September 30, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Just checked with my wife who works at our public library and am happy to report Sarah Palin is not on their Banned Books Week display.

The Pleasant Hill Public Library prefers to keep their displays non-political.

Sheila,  September 30, 2009 at 7:07 AM

That library needs a few "Going Rogue" books donated to it!!!!

Anonymous,  September 30, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Adrienne -

The only way to get back at that first poster is to go into your school and teach your students a "Sarah Palin song" ... and then post it on You Tube.

Our side needs equal time, and you're about the only ally that Ms. Palin has in the school system. God Bless.

David

Anonymous,  September 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM

@jevans

The Higher Beling agrees that Ms. Palin is not a force of unity, positiveness or truth.

@adrienne

The topic of the post is another case of taking a molehill and trying to build a mountain. The Gang you wish to associate with are doing this on a near daily basis; prophesizing ill intent when none exists or at least where none was intended. Banning books is bad; freedom of speech is good. Some kids made a Poster and the Poster child of repression is your BFF Ms. Palin.

Look up "Rogue" in the Dictionary. Look at it's origins. It is appropriate for her. You are better than that. You need to think about honesty, bringing people together, making a positive step forward. "Government" is not evil, geez Louise, Ms. Palin desperately wanted to be VP, 2nd in command of the Government. Government is people, just like you. Go to DC and spend time in the Staffer offices, they are good people. They are trying to do good.

You only stir evil with your desperate attempt to join a Gang who, really, are only interested in you because you are the one Black woman out of ten million who has interest in Ms. Palin.

Why do you think that is? Is everyone else wrong except you? You are perfect?

Mirror.

Jackytc September 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM

This people do not read, listen or see what is happening with our country.

"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." Proverbs 26:12

NY Conservative September 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Great post, got ya on KBYR, And to the 1st "anon" poster, congrats Adrienne the presence of trolls means your message is on the mark!

Anonymous,  October 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM

The presence of Trolls could mean that people care about you Adrienne and want you to be the person you are capable of being.

Why?

Is this, in fact, because of people like @NYconservative and those you are seeking to be like?

You need to look deep into yourself and question your real motives. They are apparent to your friends. We want better for you.

Adrienne Ross October 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Anonymous @ 6:33 PM on Oct. 1,

I appreciate that people care about me. However, my "friends" would know me better, understand my "real motives," and post their names.

All others ASSUME they know me, obviously have no idea what I stand for, and therefore couldn't possibly truly recognize that God IS shaping me to be the person HE wants me to be--no matter how unpopular that makes me among my "friends."

Standing for truth has got to be my motivation. Supporting those who stand for God's principles is what the Word of God teaches, and I will not turn away from that.

Conservative Pup October 2, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Hello Adrienne!

Just found your blog through twitter, and am so glad I did.

What marvelous and wonderful work you are doing here! You may feel alone at times in your pursuit of truth, especially in this situation at your school, but know that there are tens of millions of us who are behind you and beside you. I echo the person who commented that when the trolls come out, you are hitting the mark. I don't mean this in a glib way either; the closer one gets to a painful and ugly truth, the more vicious the attacks become. "Anonymous" may protest that he/she only "cares about you" but he/she is either so misinformed/uninformed themselves that they still believe what they're saying, or, they are intentionally trying to place doubt in your heart.

In either case, they are wrong. It is also interesting to me that it is always the liberal who injects race into ANY discussion these days. That has not gone unnoticed by anybody.

As a life-long lover of books, I was taught by my mother that you take care of books, that they are 'special'; the thought of banning/burning/destroying books is noxious to me, even if I don't like or agree with the content.

You keep up the good work, I'll be coming back regularly to read your blog--great work!--and will also be adding it to my own blogroll. Thank you for what you're doing for God, America, and all the rest of us who believe in God, the founding principles, and individual liberty.

LoveThatGirl October 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Adrienne, HIS timing is perfect.
We can watch and see that God is good.

"Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe to stumble, it would be better for him if, with a heavy millstone hung around his neck, he had been cast into the sea.
Mark 9:42

Blessings, Irma

dangarey October 2, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Now we can fully understand the reluctance of some educators to openly support and defend Sarah. Perhaps now we can fully understand the need to stand up proudly for her. Why hide?

Susan L October 3, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Wow. A lot of racism from the other side. I wonder how willing they would be to ban her book from libraries.

By the way, I love your blog.

Joe,  October 17, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Adrienne,

Thank you so much for taking a stand against the lies, defamation of character pushed on our children and in the media daily 24/7 against normal people like Sarah Palin. Now, in public schools? This is outrageous that anyone would do this and that the administrators would not take direct action.

The trolls that keep hitting your blog here are unfortunately lost people. What kind of person continues a lie? No one is burning books associated with Gov. Palin. That is a lie.

These are sick twisted people that believe in Alinsky rules for Radicals, where the ends justify the means. So, they'll lie and make up any story to advance their cause. And they will deceive millions if they can.

And these anonymous posters bring race into it? This is like calling Michael Steele an Oreo, or telling democrat pundit, Juan Williams to get back on the porch which only happened the last few days.

You Adrienne have been wonderful. You refuse to get into mudslinging and instead demand the truth. I've read you now for the last few months. You are really being an inspiration to many people.

The ad hominem attacks and insults against you by the other side show a lack of character on the part of so-called "liberals" today.

Keep taking the high road.

May God Bless and give you strength.
Joe

Anonymous,  January 12, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Go Get Em Adrienne !!!! I realize this is an older post....but I admire that you took on the librarian and the display that was NOT portraying Sarah correctly. I have added "Fight the Smears" pages to my Sarah sites and this issue is one I have there, books on the list such as Harry Potter were not even written then. Sarah didnt ban any books or ask for them to be banned either. Thanks for standing strong for Sarah and those of us who admire her for who she is and what she stands for.

Charolette (Proud Member of Team Sarah.org)

Anonymous,  January 12, 2010 at 7:27 AM

First off....its not about "color"...Adrienne is ALLOWED to support whoever she feels is the best person for the job, or who she feels has the best character,morals, experience. She has a RIGHT to support that person, WITHOUT it being considered by some who dont agree with her as some type of "idol worship". Sarah supporters ARE NOT the ones teaching kids in schools little songs of praise...that is for OBAMA. Where they are changing the song "Jesus Loves The Little Children" and replacing Jesus name with OBAMA. And other songs worshipping him !!! WE are NOT the ones singing "umm umm ummm Sarah Louise Palin"....That is OTHERS singing "Umm umm ummm Barack Hussein Obama". SOOO....obviously, who is WORSHIPPING WHO? Being a BAD PRESIDENT with BAD POLICIES and BAD CHARACTER comes in ALL COLORS.....yes, even black in this instance. It doesnt have ANYTHING to do with the color...HE IS SIMPLY BAD FOR AMERICA. And you DONT have to be any CERTAIN color to see that either. People screaming racism are often times, the ones who are the most racist themselves. Adrienne is a good, honest, Godly person, who supports Sarah and what she believes in AND SHE IS ALLOWED TO DO THAT. She isnt trying to be a "token" anything, she IS WHO SHE IS.

You know its interesting I have NEVER seen people who do NOT like Obama really go to Obama sites and post nasty stuff....but YOU ALWAYS SEE IT on sites where people are not FOR OBAMA. Those FOR HIM just cannot stand to stay away, they MUST show THEIR HATE....they cant help themselves.....that really says alot about the people who support him and its not a "good thing".

Char (from Team Sarah)