If Obama Can Come to School on September 8th, Gov. Palin Can Come on the 9th

Thursday, September 3, 2009

I've known for several months now that it's time for a new profession for me. I'm not sure how long I can last as a teacher with the indoctrination going on in our schools. I can't take it, can't keep my mouth closed, and this year, I believe, I can't avoid trouble.

President Obama will speak to our nation's children on September 8th. Is this the result of a true concern for America's youth, or is it about promoting his agenda? As a teacher, I'm sure I know--and I'd sure like to hear from Governor Palin via her Facebook page.

On the one hand, it makes sense that the President of the United States would speak to kids to impress upon them the value of education. He holds the highest office in the land, and with that comes a level of respect. Simply because of that perhaps some kid will say, "President Obama wants me to succeed, so I've got to try really hard." If that's what this is really all about, that's fine. But things are never that simple with this administration.

Always there's an agenda.

It seems not only does the president want to take over the car industry, the banking industry, and the health care industry, now he wants to take over the classroom. The reason is simple. The classroom is a good place to take over the minds of our children, to indoctrinate them--as if enough of that is not being done already in our public schools. President Obama's September 8th address is not just about taking on the noble task of encouraging our students to succeed. No, lesson plans and worksheets have actually been prepared for activities before, during, and after the address.

A "Go get 'em, kids. We believe in you" speech is one thing. Full-blown lesson plans that ask students to read books about "presidents and Barack Obama," "write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president," and answer questions such as, "Why is it important that we listen to the President?" is another.

I smell a rat.

As Megyn Kelly pointed out on Fox this morning, which you can see in this video clip, imagine if teachers had forced students to read books about--and discuss helping in the goals of--President Bush or Vice President Cheney. All you-know-what would have hit the fan. Taking it a step further, imagine if, in the interest of being fair-minded during the 2008 election, teachers had required students to read Sarah: How a Hockey Mom Turned the Political Establishment Upside Down. There would have been an outcry because it would have gone against the agenda of the teachers' unions and the vast majority of educators.

Look, I'm not somebody on the outside looking in. I've been teaching in the same public school in upstate, NY for fourteen years, and the left-wing agenda has never been so obvious to me as it was this past school year. If you think that fair and balanced teaching goes on in all classrooms, think again. I'm not saying that every single teacher is involved in Democrat indoctrination. I'm not even saying most teachers are, but I am saying it happens--too often. You listen to kids long enough, you find out what goes on and you learn the anti-Bush, anti-Palin, anti-conservative sentiments being expressed.

After Obama won the election, my school went crazy. Leading up to the inauguration, the school decided we were going to show it live to every student. Now, I was sick to my stomach because I just didn't want to watch it, but I did believe that it should be shown, so I prepared myself to grit my teeth, suck it up, and just get through it--which I did. The problem was what went down leading up to that day--and for weeks afterwards.

Let me run you through a day at school leading up to the inauguration: walk into the building; go to my mailbox; find lesson plans about Obama to use with students that were placed in my box; leave plans in my box (I did not do them!); walk down the hall where there were Obama posters on my left and right--posters about Change, Hope, and all that rhetoric he was talking during the campaign; listen to morning announcements with some quote from Obama right before the Pledge of Allegiance (everyday); go to library and see books about Obama displayed; after school go home and check email; in email find suggestions from ELA professionals about how to incorporate inauguration activities into lessons; read email with information about different seminars and workshops teachers can attend about the inauguration.

Now, I am not a confrontational person for the most part. I'm easy to get along with, and I pick my battles. But this was one battle I had to pick, and this is one reason I know it's got to be time for me to move on. When I got the email from an ELA consultant which she sent to the entire district, including the superintendent and principals, I hit Reply All and wrote, "I might take these professionals more seriously if they had shown the same passion for our kids and commitment to our nation four years prior when George Bush was re-elected." I ended the short email with, "Sorry, but this just reminds me of the media bias that was displayed throughout the election and continues to this day." I know I ruffled some liberal feathers, but I didn't care. The hypocrisy was glaring, and it needed to be addressed.

When I got an email from the assistant principal detailing the manner in which we would handle watching the inauguration ceremony, I emailed him back with a short note that basically said, "I hope you show the same enthusiasm in four years when Sarah Palin is elected president!" When I saw him later, he admitted that "teachers tend to be Democrats, as am I, but if your girl [Governor Palin] gets in in 2012, I'll be sure we do the same thing." My response? "Well, my boy, Bush, got in four years ago, and we didn't do anything!"

During the campaign, I always informed the students about the upcoming debates, we always discussed them afterwards, and we remained up to date on the campaign. On election day, students checked off where they personally stood on various issues without being told where the candidates stood on those same issues until after the discussion. I prepared a PowerPoint presentation of all four nominees talking about where they stood on each of those issues. Then we had a classroom vote. That's fair and balanced instruction.

Later, when the TEA parties rose up, students would come to my class from another subject--where they were being indoctrinated--complaining about these "stupid" demonstrations. I, of course, was quick to nip it in the bud, and one might say I did some indoctrinating of my own--or was it just deprogramming? Needless to say, it did lead to some interesting classroom discussions. My message to my students was simple: "Whatever you believe, be sure you understand the issues, make sure it's what you believe, and know why you believe what you do-- because this is your country."

See, I don't have a problem with having our students seeing an inauguration. They should see it. I don't have a problem with them hearing from the President of the United States at the start of the school year. Hopefully, a president can inspire. My problem is with the Left-wing agenda so often displayed in the public school. My problem is with the president asking students to figure out how they can help him. My problem is with a teacher telling a student that the reason some people didn't vote for Barack Obama is because they're racist, as one teacher told her class. When her daughter came home and told her mom, a friend of mine, her mom had to call the teacher and ask her, "Why would you tell my child that? My husband and I didn't vote for him, and we're not racist. We didn't vote for him because he's a radical abortionist!" The teacher was left hemming and hawing.

My point is that some teachers are already indoctrinating students. How much farther will this go with the president's September 8th speech and his request that teachers have their kids figure out how to help him? Too far, I'm afraid.

Save Our Country has urged parents to keep their children home that day. They call it National Skip Day. I can't say I blame them. Some parents throughout the nation are already up in arms about the president's agenda. They don't send their children to school to figure out how to help a president whose policies they may deeply disagree with. They send their kids to school to get an education.

Save Our Country even drafted a letter for parents to give their children's schools to explain their absence:

Absence Excuse Suggestion:

To Whom it May Concern:

When it comes to teaching my child about personal responsibility and life goals, I have determined that I am a far better teacher of those objectives than a President who has chosen to surround himself with known anarchists and terrorists.

Therefore, insert child's name, will be at home on Sept 8th in order not to be corrupted by the propaganda that will be shown in his class room.

Respectfully Yours,

I think Obama has his hands full running the car, banking, and health care businesses. I would prefer he stay out of my classroom. But in the spirit of being fair and balanced, I say this: If I'm ever required to make my students gather around the screen to watch an Obama speech about how they can embrace and promote his agenda, they'd better be prepared for me to also gather my students around to read Governor Palin's Facebook page when she comes out swinging against one of his dangerous policies.

As you can see, my days are numbered!

Anonymous,  September 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM

God bless you for taking a strong stand. Last year my son was one of the few who did not clap and cheer during the inauguration. From that moment on he was targeted by one of his teachers. It got so bad I had to demand he be removed from her class. Miraculously his grades shot up. He won't be in school on Sept. 8 and if he's targeted again I'm going to remove him from public school. I'll either home school or look at private options.

theblackcommenter September 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Thank you for this wonderful post. I am going to quote you (extensively) as you're one of the few teachers I've heard that have addressed this issue.

Anonymous,  September 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM

You hang in there girl - thank the Lord that there are still teachers like you out there and that my girls have already graduated, as independent thinkers and my 3 month old granddaughter will be home schooled if I have to do it myself!

Hazaa Blue-Eyes September 3, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Thank you for expressing your opinion as a teacher.

Like you, I'm also a teacher, surrounded by liberals shoving their agenda down students' throats. I can't stand it. The bias is just staggering and they intimidate students into following their viewpoints.

I remember how uncomfortable it was in school to have a different viewpoint of my teacher. There were times that I felt I would get a bad grade if I didn't parrot their views, and in fact, did in college when I didn't.

During the election, my students asked me who I was voting for. I told them it was a secret ballot. We discussed at length about the election, who was running and what their platforms were. But never once did I give any candidate more attention than another or tell them my opinions. A few students actually came forth and thanked me because they felt they would fail if they didn't agree with other teachers.

At lunch, the other teachers discuss how awful the tea party people and anti-health care people are. I used to shut my mouth and ignore them. Now I pick up my lunch and leave - I'd rather eat in my office. Like you, I'm also non-confrontational, but I'm getting to the point where I'll slip in a retort or speak up if I disagree.

Hang in there. :)
We need more teachers like you.

Anonymous,  September 3, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Hey Adrienne -

Perhaps in the interest of "equal-time" you can ask the administration if your classroom could carry the radio broadcast of Obama's speech to the children with Rush Limbaugh's live running commentary in the background. (sort of like he did during the inauguration)

That should go over big time with your administrators, I'm sure!

David

Adrienne Ross September 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Hazaa Blue-Eyes,

Thank you for your comments.

When asked, I did tell my students that I was voting for McCain-Palin, and they were well aware of my respect for Sarah Palin. However, I urged my kids to think about the issues, rather than just taking in what someone else tells them.

Peter,  September 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Adrienne,

Thank you for such a thoughtful post. Although I am not in education, I am surrounded by liberals at work and constantly have to keep my mouth shut. I hope that I can be as brave as you in the future. There comes a breaking point when all of us need to stand up and not be intimidated. Thanks for the inspiration.

Lisa,  September 3, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I caught this on "Booker rising". As always, excellent article and I must tell you that I respect and admire your courage.

Anonymous,  September 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Adrienne Ross September 3, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I have deleted a comment because the race card is played out! I've allowed people their say in the past and let the comments remain. However, it's time now to move on. Sarah Palin is not a racist. I've been around her. I should know. I've talked to her, her family members, and her friends more than once. Enough said. The race card has expired.

Now, the point of this post is education. Let's stick to the topic and get the race victimization agenda out of the way.

Not Evil Just Wrong September 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM

This is just step two is pushing an agenda on the children. Did you see kids reactions to the alarmist statements in An Inconvienent Truth?

Tracey Porreca September 3, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Adrienne -

As I said last night, this is your best post yet. You know I have many opinions when it comes to education. Some will agree with me, others not. But one thing is sure - indoctrination of our children by any government official is wrong. Thanks for all you do to educate our children, and those who read your writings.

Tracey Porreca

Sheila,  September 3, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Good post Adrienne..... It ain't happening in my classroom. If I am told I have to, then the class will see a little Ronald Reagan right after it.

Anonymous,  September 4, 2009 at 1:46 AM

I love you Adrienne, and I love your post!

Those kids need you: They need you to tell them that they don't have to follow the lib indoctrination and intimidation mantra!

I agree that Barak Hussein's motives are questionable at BEST!

He has stated his desire to raise up an ARMY of youth as a Civilian Defense Corp to be just as armed and powerful as the US Military.

I believe this is his first step. HE MUST BE STOPPED AND EXPOSED NOW!

May God Bless you Adrienne as you Stand in the Gap, and Make a difference in the lives of our Future Leaders of Tomorrow!.

LoveThatGirl September 4, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Adrienne,
You Go Girl!
God has you there for a reason. He is working through you to get HIS word across and to debunke obama. He needs you to help these children, because they in turn will help their parents SEE the LIGHT.
God bless and I will be praying for you.
Blessings, Irma

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13

Mike's America September 4, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Thank you for speaking out on this issue and for braving the arrows directed at you for daring to have an opinion which is contrary to the groupthink so prevalent in your profession.

Please don't quit teaching unless it's to become Sec. of Education in a Palin Administration! We need voices like yours if we ever hope to right the balance which has been tilted so far to the left in public education.

You are an inspiration to millions who just need to know that there are people out there who share their beliefs and are willing to act on them.

Adrienne Ross September 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Mike's America,

Thank you for your kind words. Know that I will not make a move to leave until God says it's time. But I do hear Him whispering, "It's almost time; get ready"--not to run AWAY from something but to run TO something.

Anonymous,  September 4, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Here is the letter I sent to my kid's schools.

Dear Ms. Picklesimer, Ms. Lane & Ms. Samuels:

Re: Obama’s scheduled September 8, 2009 speech.

It has come to pass in this day and age that our school system has forgotten the benevolent beginnings that founded our great country. Our forefathers set on a quest to ensure that all people of this remarkable yet fragile democracy were free of government control and ternary. Many of these same forefathers, and sons yet to come, laid down their lives for the idea of freedom and the protection of this great country. Yet with all the celebrated deeds from the United States and its citizens to keep the county free you and your brethren, in one fell swoop, will allow the Executive branch of government to take over and control your academic institutions.

One could say that it is just one speech on just one day in the life of my child, and may very well be forgotten by the next. This may be true; however, a speech given on September 14, 1936 in Germany was also just one speech. This speech was delivered by a leader that glorified the office he held and the person he was. Obama’s speech will also have the same glorifying undertones. Obama’s address will no doubt tell our youth to work hard in school and become a success for the greater good, as did the September 14, 1936 speech. The speech in Germany was just one speech on just one day in the life of Germany’s youth.

School systems at present practice the separation of church and state. This was originally implemented to avoid religious leaders influencing affairs of our schools as well as keeping our schools from the interactions of the church. As educators you have distorted this agenda to the extreme that even the mention of creationism will get my student a detention. So why for God’s sake will you now let the Executive branch of government control your schools? As stated in the CATO’s media release “Ultimately, politicians will use power over education to indoctrinate children, [into] something completely antithetical to a free society.” Your school system should take the lead and practice the separation of government and education, leading the way for our children to live and think free.

I am doubtful that the board of education, Ms. Lane nor Ms. Samuels will stop the September 8th speech from being broadcast into my children’s class room. I am requesting that neither ***** or ***** watch or participate in the speech or anything leading up to the speech. Thank you for your time and may God bless you and yours.

Sincerely,

Anonymous,  September 4, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Don't invoke God in your ignorance. He is not and has never talked to you - you are a liar; and you are very ignorant.

You should get out of the school system now; you are a disgrace - and it would be a better day when you leave; in fact I implore you to listen to whatever lie you live within ( do I need to list them); and leave today, this minute.

You have no cogent thought processes... and what you wanted from Sarah Palin - and knowing her personally as I do, you will never get.

Adrienne Ross September 4, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Anonymous @ 4:21 P.M.,

Well, that settles it! You apparently have all the answers. You know my heart and intentions, you know Sarah, you know everything except how to identify yourself by name. How interesting. Yes, that settles it, and I have been found out. NOT!

What's more interesting is you seem furious about something. What might that be? My post about wanting students to have fair and balanced teaching offends you? What part of that bothers you most? Or is it my relationship with God? Or is it the fact that I'm a teacher? I'm trying to figure out your objection to the post. You state that you know Sarah Palin personally, so what's your point?

Your comment seems to be aimed at stating I have no substance, but your comment itself has no substance. You speak in generalities and are actually stating nothing at all.

So again, what's your point--and even more importantly, what's your name?

Frightened Grandmother,  September 4, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Hello. This was an unusually good, and very thought-provoking article, Ms Ross. Our very impressionable young children are safe with people like you. I wish there were more brave people like you who speaks truthfully, from the heart, using the wisdom of God. I will be praying for you. Stay strong, my Sister.

I don't like this thing that BHO is planning for America's children. You can bet it's for his benefit solely, and it smacks of some kind of pre-indoctrination of our children into something far from an innocent address to them, but something of a much higher, sinister, plan. On September 8th he will be laying the initial groundwork--and this is just Part One of the plan. I don't like this at all! And, to be perfectly honest, it frightens me.

I didn't vote for Obama or McCain. I didn't like either candidate and I had my own choice of who really needs to be running America. I wrote in his name as my personal choice and I voted for him.

My Candidate was, and is, Jesus Christ and he gets my vote every day.

Mike's America September 4, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Adrienne: Don't let that anonymouse upset you. Isn't it odd that these people won everything in 2006 and 2008. They control the Congress, the White House and just confirmed their first Supreme Court Justice and they are STILL ANGRY!

The poison that leached into their soul after hating Bush for eight years has left them in this state. How sad for them.

But if you needed some inspiration to help you keep teaching, I'd say anonymouses demand you quit should do it.

carlos September 5, 2009 at 12:13 AM

well obama does what he says palin talks family values, but her daughter has a child out of marrige ,Where is the truth in the republican mesage.
Truth is it hsnnt been there since ronald reagan

Adrienne Ross September 5, 2009 at 12:32 AM

carlos,

The imperfections of one's children is not partisan.

dowl,  September 5, 2009 at 12:49 AM

President Reagan’s speech to the kids via C-Span

Interesting presidential speech to school children by Ronald Reagan. As a committed teacher and molder of young minds, how does this compare to perceived indoctrination now?

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 12:58 AM

What do you think a quitter ex-govenor has to offer the kids? Listen to the president speak or an ex-govenor. "Kids just quit if gets hard and people make fun of you."

Devin Stevens September 5, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Annonymous-

If you're going to make alligations I strongly suggest you don't use "annonymous".

Devin Stevens

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 1:03 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Appreciate your stand Adrienne. There's more to this than just a speech. "OOO"s game plan is pretty evident. His agenda is written all over it, and it's great parents and teachers are taking a stand against this indoctrination of our youth. Don't forget "OOO" is trying to raise up an army amongst our youth, for whatever reason "that is just as strong as our military". That is scrary.

Keep up the good work Adrienne.

Margie

Adrienne Ross September 5, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Race card = played out. You get deleted.

Dianne,  September 5, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Why don't I believe this story. This whole thing
is all about Palin, I don't trust her anymore then you say you trust Obama. Also this thing about being a born again Christian I don't get
it when someone says that. I don't go to Chruch but I never stopped believing in GOD....If you did I feel sorry for you. Dianne

Adrienne Ross September 5, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Dianne,

You seem to be referring to my short bio. The term "born again" is used in the Bible to refer to people who have asked Jesus into their hearts as their Savior. People try to make it some spooky expression and difficult experience. It's not. It's quite simple, and as the Bible says, "You must be born again." So it refers to someone who has chosen to walk with God and allow Him to have His way, to ask His forgiveness, and to live for Him.

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 1:44 AM

Three things:

You are a disgrace to your profession.

GWB with No Child Left Behind is MORE indoctrination than has ever been before, and TONS more than a speech by a sitting President.

It's purely because he's black ... racist America can't stand having a Black man address their children.

Later for you. And for God's sake, write more succinctly.

Adrienne Ross September 5, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Anonymous @1:44 AM,

Yeah, I hate Black people. Blah, blah, blah. Give me a break and get a new argument!

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 1:47 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janet,  September 5, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Wow Adrienne! I just stumbled on to your site by accident and I am so happy that I did!! I loved what you wrote about the children being indoctrinated! If only more teachers could be like you...I truly appreciate this article and I hope someday my daughter has a teacher with such integrity and knowledge. I will definitely be back to this site to read more!

Dianne,  September 5, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Thank you for explaning that to me, just a little to much for me though. I'm reading some of these comments against Obama and I just don't get it. I watch all the news channels and the only one that really talks bad about Obama
is Fox. It's almost like the witch hunt back in Salem. This really makes me sad. I think if anyone is brain washing anyone it's Fox News.

Jeff,  September 5, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Adrienne,
If that is your true Identity. You as a teacher, if that is your true profession, are a disgrace. You threaten to, and ask your readers to, write a letter threatening to keep children home because of what MIGHT be said. You have no idea what President Obama will say. From all accounts all he is going to say is try hard, stay in school, and be a good, honest, hardworking member of society. I am fairly sure you would have no problem with any speach given by a republican president, as many have done in the past. You would prefer to have a speach given by Palin who has quit her elected position to follow a path of more money and less responsibility. I urge parents in your class to keep their children home, not because of The Presidents speach, but rather because you are a disgrace to good teachers everywhere.

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Your days should be numbered if you think that Sarah Palin should be any sort of positive role model for the next generation of this fine country. I can think of no one worse, nor any less logical and intelligent a person to serve as a role model to kids than Sarah Palin. At the very least, Barack Obama is someone who has worked hard and lived the American dream. He is intelligent, passionate, eloquent, and patriotic, whatever you think of his politics. What exactly does Sarah Palin have to share about life with our kids? What does she show our kids they should strive for?

pmckee7654 September 5, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Ms. Ross,

I just wish to simply say thank you for being a such a true credit to your profession and in your faith. I now know that there is yet one more fine, decent, dedicated and courageous teacher in the school system that ALL students can look up to and admire. What a fine roll model you truly are. Nowadays too many have chosen this field not as a vocation but rather as a vehicle to spread their ideology merely through infiltration so as to accomplish nothing more than to indoctrinate our children.

Thank you again Ms. Ross, you are truly an inspiration to the children lucky enough to have you in their lives. I'll pray for you for your continued success and for a long and prosperous life. GOD Bless YOU!

YOU are one special Lady!

Pat in NYC

Rilla Walker September 5, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Ms. Ross:

Your comments are interesting in how angry they seem. Kids should be addressed at least once a year by OUR President of OUR United States. President Obama IS the winner of the election and the leader of the free world. Educators should jump at the chance to talk to their students about the election process, the perks and pitfalls of being a president (maybe one of them will be inspired to be president someday), the great freedom provided by our Constitution. Imagine what a great opportunity it is to point out the peril in other countries for folks who disagree with their political leaders, whomever they may be. I'm bumfuzzled by your constant reference to the former, but failed Vice Presidential hopeful.... she wasn't running for President... Senator McCain was. I was very excited to see a youngish, personable and just darn nice woman rise as high as Ms. Palin did. It is a place in history that she will always hold and I commend her for her success in that regard. However, it is such an important job and it was rapidly revealed that she had not done the necessary homework. I quickly wondered... is she really the most qualified woman to represent the Republican party... or did the GOP just need to put some lipstick on the pig to draw in more than the white older male vote. Ms. Palen isn't even the Governor anymore, she quit to pursue other interests. I would have much rather heard that she quit because she realized that her daughters needed her supervision and her grandchild and sweet son need more of her time... that I could have respected and she could have returned when her family was in a better place. I would even have understood if she just said, look, we've got alot of mouths to feed and I need to make that money while I'm a hot commodity. Instead she appears to just be drifting... thank God she isn't the Vice President for now, she is so clearly not ready... she let her followers down and they are sticking with her more than she is sticking with them. I understand that you were very emotionally invested in the election and it must have been very disapointing for you. I felt much the same after Bush success #2. But I always respected that the man won, and he was OUR President, deserving of a certain level of respect no matter how ill conceived I believed his agenda to be. I really don't think many kids noticed or cared about that particular election. Now they are actually interested. Take advantage of it and teach them about our government in a non-partisan way... that is your duty.... Thank you for the opportunity to address your comments.

PS: Did you consider that your comment "I'm madly in love with Jesus." could be a little offensive to some Christians because that expression tends to have a romantic connotation associated with it. Better to say "I love Jesus, not I'm in love with Jesus, don't you think?

Denise- Anonymous 4:12pm,  September 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM

My name is Denise, and I suggest you ask Sarah who I am. I was steered here today - and just wrote off the cuff - I was not afraid to leave my name... angry, of course not - I do not know you, or care to know you. Just as what you say or do, have no effect on my life and living, mine should have none on yours. I wish people like you would stay away from normal people; and real christians, that is all.

You have a right to feel as you will - you are from the fringes - your kind is the kind from a gene pool that should have been eradicated a very long time ago; a mistake that makes procreation a weapon of mass destruction for the world.

I will state again, and yes, I believe that God is not talking to you - and to state such is a LIE.

You are a liar, you stated that President Obama is doing something that you have no fore knowledge about - unless you are going to tell me that God gave you a copy of his speech too?

To go further, I assume that your animous towards Obama and school children is wrapped inside your own ineptness as a "teacher," and envy and jealousy which are both very unGODly and unchristian.

I also believe that your subjugation and sychophancy (my word)towards Sarah is psychosexual and bizarre.

You missed the boat on being Born Again - keep trying, study and work hard; and I am sure one day you will get to where you want to be....

OOOPS, sorry, that is indoctrination - I don't want to indoctrinate you.... LOL.

If there is one thing about America that I love:
Rational, Real, and Thinking people usually prevail.

President Obama will survive. I am more apt to believe that God is talking to him, and has put his arms around him, in love and protection (the yoke) - than anything even remotely Godly touching you... and I may be wrong, but I sure as hell don't think so.

I would be more than happy to give you my email and I would even throw in Sarah's if you like.

Stop whining and complaining - open your own school - and you can start your own cult... to do anything well, first it takes a willingness to do so... get fulfilled... and stop blaming others because you cannot do.

Sorry, my thoughts are rambling....

Michael San Diego,  September 5, 2009 at 2:48 AM

My children will not be attending school on the 8th. There is no reason to have them hear political falsehoods and rhetoric that will only disappoint them in their adult lives.I'm not letting my children be taught wrong principles from people who think they own them and can change them at their discretion. "Give no place to the devil."

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Thank you!Finally!A dedicated,patriot teacher! One who truly believes in educating kids for their futures & the Country's future.You know--I see a President surrounding himself with rebel rousing anti-white and anti-American "czars".Does this mean he plans anti-white, anti-american Administration? Why do we have to pay their salaries? I say everyone get an extension, not pay taxes on Apr 15--this would get their attention-dems&Repubs & that we mean business now.

Southrock Joe,  September 5, 2009 at 3:31 AM

I Pledge to work to DEFEAT the far left Democratic leadership in Congress and the reelection of Premier Barack Obama.

Southrock Joe

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Thank you a thousand times over. While my children are grown, my family members include school age children, and I am constantly horrified at what passes for education these days. I work in the field of science and technology and with every passing year it becomes more difficult to find young folks to hire with even basic reading, math and resoning skills. Equipping children with critical thinking and problem solving skills should be a higher priority than teaching them what to think. Less time on political agendas and more on basics skills would make us all stronger. Thank you for remembering you are a teacher and not a mouthpiece for any political organization. Knowledge of current events is important, but useless without critical thinking skills.

Adrienne Ross September 5, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Jeff @ 2:00AM,

I did not ask parents to leave kids at home. I said one particular organization did--and I said I did not blame them for their concerns.

I also said I had no problem with the president addressing students, that he is in a position to inspire. My concern, which I clearly stated, is the worksheets that are to follow--lesson plans centered around the President of the United States, posters with his quotes, letters about how they can help him. It would simply be better if he aired his talk in the evening so families could watch together or decide not to watch. That would solve a number of issues. I have no problem with the speech, if the timing is right, but what follows causes concern. I do not believe any other president ever approached this with pre, during, and after activities.

I encourage you to read the article again. I did not say I wanted Sarah Palin to make a speech to kids, although I think she would be very inspirational. My point was that in the interest of being fair, if we are required at any time to show students a speech by Obama, why not have Sarah's Facebook comments when she counters his policies?

Finally, in reference to your point of parents keeping their kids home to avoid my teaching, parents go out of their way to request me for their kids. I don't have to agree with the president to be a good teacher.

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Thank you Adrienne from a forty-six year old "redneck" from south Texas. You are beautiful. People like you can truly change our world. Will - San Antonio

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 9:50 AM

i applaud you in taking this stand, there needs to be more teachers like you that look out for our kids, in our small town, all our teachers and the districts have refused to show the obama tape, and the last thing we need, or should allow wether we have children in school or not, is we as citizens of the united states and we do not pledge allegiance to anyone or anything thing other than our flag, for one nation under god, which stands for our liberty, freedom and our religious beliefs whether you are christian or mormon, this flag represents our history and it cannot be left to be changed into something other than the fifty stars, that represent the fifty states, it represents all that have died, been wounded, or served, making sure the freedom and rights we as americans enjoy to day, as lomg as we have teachers like you, sho stand not only for our children, but all children regardless of where they live, social status or ability to learn,
i thank you for being able to take a stance in what you believe, standing up for our future and not letting the pressure suround you, and our graditute to mrs palin and ask her to please keep up the hard work and stopping the comminust take over

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 10:04 AM

All of you commenters who are against the President speaking to our children concerning education should listen to yourself. #1 you didn't like it because he became President. #2 you are jealous because of who he is. #3 Some of you have done nothing to help our children reach into themselves, and dream about their future. #4 You are afraid that our country will be become more civilized and democratic thru this young generation of children. #5 As long as our country is divided, and one group of persons considers himself better than the other group you are satisified. Where ever our children can get the education to lift them to a higher level, I appauld. I am not a teacher, but I suppose if I wanted to speak to the children of our country you would be against it. He is the President, and he is suppose to be concern about every issue that comes up in our country whether he directly or indirectly work with the issues. It's just like a home,a mother and father looks out for every issue that comes before them in their family. Some many of our children don't have anyone to help them be concerned about their education and future. You evidently don't know what its like to be uneducated. You are probably living in a home, school, neighborhood,and parts of the country where life is simply. Well the president is not talking to you. Move over and let someone hear it that needs it. Are you afraid of what the future holds with the possibilites of the future generation not dragging themselves on the ground. Some of you are just plain jealous, and afraid that some children might become highly educated. Some of you are afraid that you will really have to get up and teach behind the Presidents speech. Well that shows that you haven't been teaching anyway. The President don't have to reach out to the children,but he did/does and show them he care about their future. Some of them need to better than what there parents are. What are you trying to do poison the children minds, and upset the parents. Some of us have missions, find yours. You are on the wrong path.

Adrienne Ross September 5, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Denise-Anonymous @ 4:12 PM,

About one of your comments, I do not give in to pressure about what I do and do not display. I use my discretion. As you can see, there are comments from people who disagree with me throughout my posts--some even vile. So your assertion that I avoid opposing views is false.

I do not desire your email address nor do I need you to give me Sarah's email address. However, a last name would be great. You suggest I ask her who you are. What's the point of that?

Your assessment of my spiritual walk, God speaking to me, or the reasons for my support of Sarah do not sway me one way or another. Knowing my God and who I am in HIM are enough for me.

As for my answer to the one who asked about being born again: it IS that simple. When someone asks about that, it IS precisely acknowledging our sin and need of a Savior, recognizing Christ is that Savior, repenting of our sins, and allowing Him to lead us forward. Must we grow in Him? Absolutely. Does He want to baptize us in His Spirit? Absolutely. Should we be reading His Word and spending time with Him in prayer? Most definitely. But we do so BECAUSE we have receieved Him, not TO receive Him. His love is more than enough. He leads and guides us. When someone asks, we steer them to Jesus, and we trust God for their growth as they get rooted and grounded in a house of faith. I did not give her a dissertation about walking with God. I gave her the foundation. You lay the foundation so that the house may be built thereon. I'm not going to try to prove my knowledge of Christ or whatever. I'm not even going to go there. The only One who should be glorified is Christ, so I'm definitely not going to argue who's more spiritual or knowing. That would be ungodly and ridiculous. However, if you and I are both living for Christ, why the argument and the "you missed it"? Follow it up with some wisdom for this person if you'd like. After all, our desire should be the same, should it not? Of course, you did not say you were living for Christ; I'm reading into your post since you feel you are able to decide whether or not God is speaking to me. Again, I know who I am in Christ, so I'm not moved one way or another by your assessment of me. However, if you have something you feel led to tell the person who left the comment, go for it.

Back to the point of my post, there was no whining or complaining. It wasn't even really about not wanting the president to address students. It was about not feeling comfortable with a whole pre, during, and post "how can I help the president" lesson plan and a concern about far-left indoctrination within our schools. Seems simple enough to me and certainly not something which should evoke such apparent anger that you deny possessing.

I don't know who steered you here, but if you're not happy, well...you know.

Last name since I should ask Sarah who you are?

Sean,  September 5, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Hi A,
Why do people hate so much? My 10 year old wants to hear him speak, I will let her, I will also be in her classroom to listen to him. My problem is why are going so low in the grades? What is my 2nd grader (7) gonna think? I believe this should be reserved for older grades, maybe middle and high school where they take classes on politics (government)and can debate each other and talk it out instead of being like mister meanie on here (anonymous)and calling people names and insulting them. I beliieve I am better at motivating my children in school than POTUS, but if he has no hidden agenda I see no reason to not let him talk to kids. We have great teachers here in Claremont, and I think they will treat this just like any other school day task, although I heard Obama will not be asking kids to write letters. Is this true? You keep believing in Jesus, keep believing in your students, and mostly keep smiling, because angry people hate it when we smile. You can always tell the angry people at your school to smile, its an inexpensive way to improve their looks!
Sean

Adrienne Ross September 5, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Rilla Walker,

Thanks for your response.

No, I did not consider Christians would be offended by my short bio, which states in part that I am "madly in love with Jesus." I never thought of it in a romantic way, as you mention. I'm VERY glad to say that it never crossed my mind!

Many Christians I know use the expression that Jesus is madly in love with us, as He is--and that does not connote anything romantic. It is simply an expression of His love. They reciprocate and state that they, too, are madly in love with Him. We would not allow others to dictate what we mean by that expression. Sorry if you're offended. You're the first to mention anything romantic, although I know that mentioning my love for Christ at all rubs some people the wrong way. I don't know what to tell those people, except it's not going to change.

Thanks again for chiming in on the discussion.

ak tom,  September 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Adrienne Alaska is looking for you.... Get out of that Lib state ASAP. We need good people up here... We can seperate church and state, but Mr. wonderful has the right to our kids.... OVER MY DEAD BODY.....

Anonymous,  September 5, 2009 at 10:52 AM

The funny thing about this is that every parent who disagrees with Obama giving a speech to schoolchildren or the content of the speech (the text has been provided) can protest by keeping their child(ren)out of school. If every parent who disagrees did this the protest would be loud and clear. Attacking Obama and preaching to the choir clearly does not produce change. This Blog is a positive move for Palin supporters but I am not so sure it's readers are as proactive as it's author. To the comment above "I don't have to agree with the president to be a good teacher", I agree. I was opposed to the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act because of true libertarian values (less government) but was called un-American because I disagreed with President Bush's policies. We live in the greatest country in the world, with the a working constitution. Good luck in your efforts, although I respectfully disagree.

Marty W,  September 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I like how they say you are a discrace to your job. What? ALL teachers are supposed to be liberal democrats and follow false idols? I wouldn't trust Obama to save my life. All I can say is he better not come Near my child or and family members of mine. That is one evil man and no good will ever come from him. His followers are going to be so let down one day soon.

Jonathan September 5, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Adrienne, your detractors all sound the same! No facts, no real arguments, not even kind words to win you over, if that were possible. Just vicious attacks. Classic Saul Alinsky.

Calling you a disgrace to the profession? Makes me wonder how they feel about the profession in general, given the fact that liberalism has decimated American education both in content and quality.

You know, I've been studying all about American Education Theory over the past 70 years - Bloom's Taxonomy, Dewey, etc. And watching my wife get her education degree... and I've come to the conclusion that teachers in America are being covertly trained as brainwashers under the banner of outcome based education. It's just that they haven't yet started the real reprogramming. That comes later, after the left has finished seizing control of the country, I suppose.

runner4jesus September 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM

The concern parents have with "OOO's" speech is his agenda behind it. What does he have planned for the nation's youth? He has expressed student's having 3 months training and 3 years of public service. What does that look like? Three months indoctrination?

We'll have to see how this plays out and what "OOO's" intentions and motives are. They will show up eventually. In the meantime, if our children were in school, I wouldn't trust "OOO" with a ten foot pole with our children.

Simply because of the 30 some odd Czars he has surrounding himself with and the Communist/Marxist background of one in particular "OOO" appointed as the controversial Green Czar.

Everything will come out in the wash for all to see, but in the meantime; parents need to look out for their children. The fact "OOO" wants all public school children to be vaccinated with an unproven H1N1 flu shot is enough to send flags up. What is that shot going to do to our children? Why use our children as guinea pigs? This is what "OOO" wants this Fall.

What does this President have in mind? Targeting our children? They are impressionable and easy to persuade. The reason why parents need to watch out for them.

Thanks for listening, and you keep up the good work Adrienne.

Margie

Salixj September 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Just sent your blog post to a feminist list I'm on. I'm an Orthodox Jewish mom, living in Israel, but I was born raised and lived 45 years in the states. I keep remembering a book called the Children's something, basically a fictional account about the indoctirnation of kids, and as I read the "lesson plans" that went through my head.

Your a teacher, hope those who I've been arguing with will listen to you. If you have more "teachers who are against this and why" links I'd love to post them.

daniel September 6, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Newt Gingrich and Lamar Alexander said on FOX News Sunday that President Obama's speech to schoolchidren is a positive thing. The text of the President's speech will be available tomorrow. It seems that we are guilty of assuming what the speech says. Did this Blog and others show what some people feared may have been intended. YES. However, as I understand what Gingrich and Alexander said on FOX was that the speech will be, stay in school, work hard, perservere, don't use socioeconomic reasons to fail...if this is the message of our lawfully elected president, I applaud.

Adrienne Ross September 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM

daniel,

I agree that a message from the president encouraging students could be inspirational. I said that in this post. What many are concerned about are the pre, during, and post lesson plans that accompany the speech. The "How I can help the president" letter was also a concern. I specified that also in this post. AFTER the outcry, that part of the lesson plan was taken out and NOW the speech will be available ahead of time. Again, these changes came AFTER people complained. I applaud the changes nonetheless.

I do, however, feel this speech would have been less of a controversy if the lesson plans were eliminated altogether.

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for eloquently speaking the truth. It amazes me how arrogant are the misspelled, name-calling posts that are attacking you. Why is it that disagreement with liberal left-wing ideas are always labeled as "hate" and "ignorant", yet, childish name-calling is supposed to be considered "enlightened", as long as it agrees with left-wing ideas? The extent to which these people have been brainwashed is frightening.

Caeseria September 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Dear Miss (Mrs?) Ross,
If you were the norm and not the exception among teachers, I might consider sending my son to public school when he's five. Sadly, you are by far the exception to the rule, and our nation is the worse for that. I'm going to be homeschooling, because to my way of thinking, if the state's paying the bill for his education, then the state gets to say what he learns and not me, which I am seeing come true more and more. One of the bloggers I read who also homeschools pointed out something I'd not thought of, with the whole Presidential address hullabaloo - "do the parents who are upset over his speech pay as close of attention to their children's education the other 179 days of the school year? If you send your child to public school, you are abdicating any say you had in their education." (my paraphrase).
I'm glad to hear from someone on the "inside" that I'm not paranoid! Thanks for reminding me again why I made the right choice.

Adrienne Ross September 8, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Caeseria,

Thank you so much for commenting.

I certainly understand and respect parents' rights to homeschool. Some would definitely say, "There's no place like home."

Having said that, I do not want to give the impression that there aren't fair teachers who love kids. I have taught for many years, and I have been blessed to work with many teachers, several who stand out for their love and commitment to kids, teachers who go above and beyond. As I stated in this post, I do know Left-leaning indoctrination takes place, not by everyone and maybe not by most, but it happens. And that, is what I'm speaking out against.

I applaud you for being on top of things and doing what you feel is best for your children. They are blessed to have you.

DLeach,  September 12, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Wonderful Post! I think part of the problem with our country has been the abdication by state and local governments of our school systems and keeping the federal government out of them completely with the results being an attempt at equal outcomes rather than equal opportunity to learn. If you look at tests of high school students in the late 40's and compare to tests now, you can see we have been dumbed down. So the indoctrination has been going on a long time but many are only realizing that now that it has become so very overt. We seem to teach to the lowest common denominator rather than challenge kids to think and consider.

Christy September 19, 2009 at 5:44 AM

Adrienne - You are very very inspiring to me. So often I find myself apologizing for my beliefs that I know to be right, in an effort to appease. I love how strong you are in your core values and in your strength of voice, and I hope to emulate you. I will no longer be part of the "silent" conservative majority. We have far too much to lose.