"Going Rogue" Rises Without Oprah's Help

Saturday, October 3, 2009

President Obama needed Oprah Winfrey to make him the man he was to become. Obama relied on Winfrey to interview him, donate big bucks to his quest for the presidency, and hit the campaign trail. Yes, Barack Obama needed Oprah.

Perhaps this is why Oprah, in her arrogance, assumed Governor Palin would need her, as well. She does not. Oprah is not used to that. What she is used to are people rising to great heights because she made room on her couch for them, promoted their books, and gave them the official Oprah-nod.

In fact, in an old article called Oprah Winfrey Presents: Barack Obama, Nitya Venkataraman wrote:

In the world of retail, there's star power, there's celebrity endorsement and then there's Oprah Winfrey. Her Midas touch saves names from anonymity, best sellers from dusty storerooms and favorite things from Internet obscurity.

Crowns of glory are bestowed upon Queen Oprah--so much so that she begins to think she holds that kind of power over everyone. She does not. Governor Palin did not rise from the PTA to the first female Republican vice presidential nominee by relying on someone else's "go ahead" before she would go ahead.

Oprah hadn't gotten the memo, however, and after the election, she whined that Governor Palin would not appear on her show.

"[I] went and tried to talk to Sarah Palin and instead she talked to Greta [Van Susteren]. She talked to Matt [Lauer]. She talked to Larry [King]. But she didn't talk to me. But maybe she'll talk to me now that she has a [multi-million dollar] book deal," Winfrey told Extra earlier this week.

Were Oprah Winfrey's feelings hurt? Did she expect Governor Palin to drop everything for a date with her talk show couch as soon as she decided to call because...well... simply because it was she who had called? Obviously, the answer to both questions is yes. So when Palin didn't come running, she consoled herself with the belief that, as Master of the Universe, she would hold the success of Palin's book in her hands. Looking to the future, Oprah was quite confident that Governor Palin would soon find time for her because she would need Oprah's Book Club to catapult her book to the top of the charts.

Well, the last time I checked, Going Rogue: An American Life was already number one on both Barnes and Noble and Amazon. And the last time I checked, Governor Palin didn't need an endorsement from Oprah Winfrey to make that happen. Not only didn't Governor Palin need to travel to Chicago to push her book, but as Oprah Winfrey traveled to Denmark to push Chicago, Governor Palin's book became a bestseller shortly after it became available for pre-order.

In a world when people speak the name Oprah in the same breath as the word power, it's no surprise that Oprah would fancy herself the decider of Governor Palin's fate, but it's safe to say that the governor isn't relying on Oprah Winfrey for anything--and certainly not for the sale of her book.

No doubt, Oprah has now gotten the memo.

Cross-posted from C4P

April Moore October 3, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Good points Adrienne, I even shared this with my husband today, as we had just been discussing this "Oprah" Connection today. You said it all!

Anonymous,  October 3, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I hope Sara NEVER sits on Oprah's couch - Sara seems to pick and choose her friends wisely - a smart woman, Oprah is a user, period.

Salixj October 3, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Goodness, where have all the grown-ups gone? So Sarah Palin doesn't show up on Oprah show? Is this really a snub or she just doesn't want to no thanks.

LoveThatGirl October 3, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Maybe they should have asked Governor Sarah Palin to talk to the OIC, instead of Oprah.

Apparently O's x 2 and MO's dimming light didn't work.
The OIC knows arrogance when they see it flying over the Altantic. The stars of the show are the Olympians NOT O's x 2 and MO.
Now they have received the memo not only from Governor Sarah Palin but also from the OIC.
God is good all the time.
Blessings, Irma

Bigmomma October 3, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Sarah will never need Oprah.

Anonymous,  October 4, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Love this blog. You are so "right on." Sarah Palin knows who she is in Jesus and He is her highest promoter.

Lisa Graas October 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I have a certain level of respect for Oprah since hers is an American success story that is similar to Palin's. She came up from nothing and through a lot of hard work mixed in with some exceptional charisma, she was able to succeed beyond her wildest expectations. It's an American story, to be sure. Obama, on the other hand, has had a lot handed to him in life, the Winfrey endorsement being among the most notable. I think Oprah Winfrey would do well to recognize the things she has in common with Sarah Palin. Does Oprah remember how she herself got to where she is today? Does she know that it's because America is the land of opportunity? I do not watch her show. I haven't watched it once since I was a teenager back in the eighties. Based on what I've heard from her in interviews and bios, she still thought herself a victim even after her great success because of her Jamaican ancestry. (I heard she was dismayed when she found out she isn't actually descended from slaves.) I don't get her, but I believe there is hope there. I think she is a thinking person and that someday she could very well come to understand that she is more like Sarah Palin than Barack Obama. Pray for Oprah!

BostonBruin October 4, 2009 at 6:05 PM

And Sarah doesn't need "The View" either!

conservative brother October 4, 2009 at 8:14 PM

The real Queen Maker is Sarah Palin not Oprah. Oprah Winfrey is on the decline, while Sarah Palin is on the rise.

Anonymous,  October 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Good points. Another blog I just found that was really interesting was this one :