My Interview with the National Post: The Second Coming of Sarah Palin

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Earlier this week the National Post of Canada contacted me, stated they were doing an article to be published the weekend before Governor Palin's Going Rogue hit bookstores, and asked for an interview. They apparently see this book as her "second coming," the first being her emergence on the national scene during the 2008 election campaign.

Sheldon Alberts asked questions about a variety of topics, including the governor's upcoming book, my initial reaction to her VP nomination, my being in Alaska when she announced her resignation and then transferred power to Sean Parnell, her role in the GOP, and, of course, what I envision for her future.

When asked about 2012, I stated how unconventional, yet politically astute, Governor Palin is:

"If she decides to run in 2012, I think we are going to see something that is going to shock many people," said Adrienne Ross, an English teacher from Hudson, N.Y., and a blogger with Conservatives4Palin.com.

We also spent some time discussing Governor Palin's impact on the special election in the NY 23rd Congressional District with her endorsement of Doug Hoffman over Dede Scozzafava.

Alberts writes:

Her endorsement this month of a rebel Conservative Party candidate over a moderate Republican in an upstate New York congressional race almost single-handedly raised the election to national prominence.

[...]

What is encouraging for Palin supporters, and disturbing to her critics, is that she wielded such influence from a distance. Who needs appearances on Washington's Sunday political talk shows when penning a few short sentences on Facebook will get you on the front page?

While he points out the power the governor possesses to influence important races within the nation (which amounted to arousing an influx of support for a 3rd Party candidate and causing the RINO turncoat candidate to quit) he also exposes the fear Governor Palin conjures up within people on both the Left and the Right. We're seeing a lot of that the last few days as people are scrambling like roaches to kill the book before it kills them.

Fear, yes--and jealousy.

All the attention paid to Ms. Palin is starting to grate on other potential 2012 Republican candidates.

"I'm glad she's getting the props -- I know I'm not nearly as attractive," Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor, groused recently.

This, of course, was Huckabee whining this week that she gets more attention because she's more attractive.

At least Huck is honest--and pitiful--enough to state he so desperately wants the governor out of his way.

The article also highlights the absolute stupidity of those on the Left who pretend that her sticking around is good for their cause.

David Plouffe, Barack Obama's former campaign manager, recently described Ms. Palin as the "pied piper" of the GOP, leading a shrinking rump of right-wing Republicans.

"I think she'll be most helpful to the Democratic Party with a high profile. I hope her book tour lasts two years," he told the San Francisco Chronicle.

To which Palin supporters say, be careful what you wish for.

"If they didn't view her as a threat, they wouldn't spend so much time on her," Ms. Ross said.

That's no rocket science assessment I made--just common sense.

We really don't know what Governor Palin may be planning for the future, but one thing is for sure, and the National Post knows it: with the publication of Going Rogue and the launch of her book tour, she's got the world's attention--and that's a good thing.

Like other avid supporters who made Ms. Palin's memoir a bestseller before publication, Ms. Ross said she "can't wait" until the book arrives and she'll make the four-hour drive to the Barnes & Noble bookstore in Rochester, N.Y., for a planned Palin appearance on Nov. 21.

"People are excited that we finally get the opportunity to hear her tell her story, without the [media] filter," she said. "There is nothing like getting it from the source."

Read the entire article here.

* NOTE: Actually, Governor Palin is signing books at Borders Books and Music in Rochester, not Barnes and Noble as the article states.

Donald Borsch Jr. November 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Miss Adrienne,

You are famous! Someday you'll need to send me an autographed photo!

The Glenn Beck Show, National Post,...wow, you are one busy lady! Sarah Palin should ask you to be her VP if she runs in 2012.

Palin/Ross: Here to repeal basically everything Obama did- 2012!

bestbud November 14, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Adrienne,

Great as usual... nice to hear from someone who knows Sarah from experience... when are you on Glenn Beck? didn't know! I record his show anyway so surely can find It.

QuoVadisAnima,  November 15, 2009 at 3:36 AM

I read the entire context of that Huckabee interview and I don't understand why you are misrepresenting what was said.

Huckabee was simply expressing his frustration that the same characters who were attempting to shred him during the primaries were praising Palin for the very things they had sneered at in him.

I followed the primaries closely - there was a hypocritical double-standard applied by certain factions - and it was not by Palin & it was quite clear that Huckabee was not dissing her.

The quip about her being prettier than him was a humorous (IMO) little shot at the shallowness of the particular people he was referring to & again no reflection on Palin herself.

Though I am a Huckabee supporter, I like Sarah Palin, too, and recognize that we are all fighting for pretty much the same essential values. Don't make the same mistake that so many over-zealous Ron Paul supporters did and offend the supporters of other candidates to the point that unity after the nomination becomes as much of a challenge as the general election itself.

The MSM loves trying to work up division amongst us not only because it feeds the news, but it also keeps the libs - otherwise a minority - in power.

We may not agree on everything, but we agree on the important things - let's not do the opposition's work for them...

Adrienne Ross November 15, 2009 at 10:05 AM

QuoVadisAnima,

I hear what you're saying, and I once felt the same way about Huckabee. I voted for him in the primary and respected him as a man of God. I do believe overall he is a good guy. I have defended him when others spoke ill of him, but then I began to see what they saw.

He has taken a couple pot shots at Sarah, and enough is enough. I'm not saying he's a monster; I'm saying he's taking shots as he looks out for himself.

He was indeed whining that she's getting all the attention, and then he made a sexist comment that suggested she gets it only because she's attractive. Come on! He's a smart man; he knew what he was saying. He's not on my hate list. (By the way, I don't have one of those lists.) But, again, he's taking shots--cheap ones. The author of the article pointed out Huckabee's irritation (and jealousy) of Governor Palin resident in his comment, and I simply agreed with his assessment.

I am disappointed in him, that's all--and I think he should think about what's motivating him.

Now to quote Huckabee: "That's my view--and I welcome yours."

QuoVadisAnima,  November 16, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Clearly perception affects interpretation.

I don't believe that Huckabee walks on water (nor Palin for that matter). That Huckabee has criticized Palin I will not deny, but my perception has been that he has done so gently & reservedly and only because he was being asked for his opinion, not because he was lobbing grenades or anything - basically saying that he doesn't understand her choices & also that if she's going to stay in politics, she's going to need a thicker skin. I'm not sure how anyone can take exception with that unless they are pre-determined to. I'm certainly baffled by her decisions since the election - unless she means to move to the political sidelines.

I also find it a bit strange that Huckabee's remark about Palin being more attractive than him is perceived as a shot at Palin rather than at those whose support would be swayed by something as superficial as someone's appearance. Again, it was quite clear from the context that his remarks were aimed at the hypocritical stances of certain radio personalities & media pundits. He did not say that was the only reason for anyone supporting her; he was saying that was the best reason he could see for those particular people to ream him for the same things for which they turned around & praised her.

I am confident of my understanding because I have watched him pretty much from the beginning and it is clear where his contempt lies & what generates it (CFG-types & affiliates whose main principle & priority superceding all else is money) - and so it has never been with Palin and she has done nothing to generate it from him. His book about his campaign run also verifies this.

I am uncertain at what level pointing out an injustice transcends making a valid complaint to becoming whining. It seems to have a lot to do with the receptivity of the hearers. Palin is being portrayed as a whiner by the left because of her complaints of the injustices she has endured. I believe that is also an unfair characterization based on perceptions predisposed to a negative view of her.

I don't criticize anyone for supporting Palin over Huckabee. I just want to point out how much healthier it is for the interests we all hold dear if we focus on promoting our favorites by actually promoting them rather than engaging in "friendly fire" on fellow troops in what was once known as the Reagan coalition. We have met the enemy and it is not us (or at least it shouldn't be)!

QuoVadisAnima,  November 16, 2009 at 6:43 AM

By the way, one of the reporters on this interview wrote that "Huckabee sniffed" as he related a comment about Palin. How much influence a single descriptive word can have! I have never heard Huckabee "sniff" in the nearly 2 yrs I have been following him. It is a word used to connote a kind of snobbish disdain - something I have never seen from the man. The moment I read that it was clear that this was the reporter's efforts to make it into more than it was in hopes of stirring the pot...

Adrienne Ross November 16, 2009 at 7:19 AM

QuoVadisAnima,

You're entitled to your opinion. Once again, I hear what you're saying. My opinion, however, has not changed, and I do question the motivation behind Huckabee's most recent comments. Again, I voted for him in the primary and spoke well of him. I will speak well of him when called for, and I will voice disappointment when called for.

It certainly was not I who commented on Huckabee sniffing when mentioning Sarah. This is the first I've heard that, so that has nothing to do with my assessment of his recent remarks. I said he was taking a shot. He was, so I called it out.

We could go back and forth. No need. I haven't made a habit of pointing my finger at Huckabee, but in light of the National Post article calling attention to it on its own, I have no problem commenting. Actually, I would have found it appropriate to comment on it regardless, but that's why it came up when it did. Again, I am not demonizing him, but I am calling out the shots he's firing, particularly the recent sexist one.

Agree to disagree here, I suppose.

QuoVadisAnima,  November 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Just ran across a pro-Palin article. Mentioned several positive things & then added "and she looks better in heels than they do, too".

If you don't already have a google alert for Palin, you can set one up to find it. I'll be watching to see how you call them out for it... ;-) Just teasing (about monitoring your blog for it; there really is such an article though). PAX!

(BTW, FWIW, I have also been posting negative comments where possible about Newsweeks' running shorts cover which in their case certainly was part of an attempt at trivializing Palin herself. C'ya!)