Levi: When Lying Dogs Won't Sleep; Updated

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Everyone has heard the expression "let sleeping dogs lie." Sounds good and is arguably good advice. But what does one do when a lying dog won't sleep, won't shut up, that is?

Normally I avoid all things Levi. He's not worth it right now. Writing about him is a waste of space. He wants the publicity, so don't give it to him. I totally understand, and usually I'm in agreement. But I also understand a basic principle, and that is this: there's a time to fight back. There's a time when you just have to deal with the barking, biting dog that's been dropping you know what all over the place everywhere he goes. And sometimes you just have to put him out--not just to deal with him--but for the benefit of those he's sniping at. This particular mutt, who's been wagging his tail all over Playgirl, refuses to sit down, shut up, or play dead--and this dog is lying every time he opens his mouth.

Levi Johnston has in his camp sensationalist media, foolish Alaska bloggers, and an obviously inebriated, delusional, or severely gullible lawyer. All that, yet he doesn't seem to have anybody in his life to tell him to put his mouth to sleep when it comes to attacking his son's family. No positive male role model to pull him aside, tell him to stop his lying, and just take care of his son. Where's the tough love from somebody who will look him in the eyes and say, "Dude, what are you doing? You're gonna wake up one day from your greed-induced stupor and wonder how you sunk so low as to try to hurt your son and his mom and grandmother like this, and that's gonna be a sad day--for you."

Every time you turn around, Levi's parked on somebody's couch, making mono-syllabic statements about the Palins. And for some reason, he's absolutely obsessed with the Governor. Constantly he's saying she's attacking him so he's going to attack back. Funny thing is, his jaws are the only ones flapping.

Levi, my dawg, shut up your lying. Man up. And please...pay up.

Concerning paying up, according to TMZ:

Levi Johnston's manager, Tank Jones, tells TMZ Levi has paid Bristol more than $10,000 since Tripp was born. Jones also says Levi does not make money off of every interview he does, though he did not say exactly how much Levi has made.

Levi has not given Bristol $10,000. Levi has not had an active role in his son's first year of life.

TMZ also reported:

Attorney Rex Butler tells TMZ, Levi has told Bristol on several occasions he wanted her to come to his house to pick up checks for Tripp's support. Butler says Levi also told her "it would be nice" if she brought Tripp along when she picked up the checks, because Levi wanted to spend time with his son. Butler says on each occasion Bristol was a no-show.

Butler says Bristol is partly to blame for the fact that she hasn't gotten the support she wants. Butler tells TMZ on one occasion Levi was prepared to hand over $3,000 ... but Bristol never showed.

As for why Levi didn't just put the check in the mail ... Butler says, "Why should he have to do that. He's not dangerous to her."

So let's get this straight. Levi loves his son so much that he'd rather give no money at all than put a stamp on an envelope and mail a check? Instead of being a father to his son and providing for him, he'd rather speculate that Governor Palin is behind the legal suit and talk about Bristol's new car. Can you say "dog"? Can you say "lying dog"? If that seems harsh, it'll just have to be harsh because one thing I can't stand is a man--that's right, he's not a little boy anymore--who won't take care of his responsibilities and then lies about it.

You know when tabloids are calling you deadbeat, you've got some stepping up to do. ETonline writes:

In an exclusive interview with ET, Levi says he believes he has given Bristol more than she claims. "I don't really know but my lawyer does. But it's reasonable, what he thought was fair. For them to call me a deadbeat dad's absurd. I attempt to call her all the time and give her texts to make sure he's doing well ... I call her all the time. I try and do everything I can to see my son. I'm making an effort. I'm trying to be there for him."

"I don't really know"? "Reasonable"? "Attempt"? "Try"? "Effort"? Huh? Your lawyer knows what you're giving your son?! Growing up in the church we used to sing a song called "99 1/2 Won't Do." Look, if 99 1/2 won't do, you know 1/2 ain't gonna do!

Bristol, on the other hand, is to be commended. She is taking care of her responsibilities. Here's a young woman who, as she recently told Oprah, gets up at 4:00 or 4:30 every morning, gets her son washed and dressed, works, and takes classes. It's not easy. It's a challenge, but Tripp is her life now, and she is committed to being a good mother to him, not a "reasonable" one.

What does she get in return? The love of her beautiful baby and the joy of knowing she's making a life for her son.

Her ex-boyfriend, however, is traipsing around the country making money by selling his soul--and his lies, gallivanting around Wasilla in his new truck and new trinket (hmmm...), and refusing to buy his son so much as a pair of shoes because his little feelings are hurt that Bristol wouldn't come to his house. In the Black community, we have a word for that. Let me hip yall to it. It's called "triflin'." Of course, the community at large is well aware of the more familiar term: low-down dirty dog.

Tripp deserves better. Bristol deserves better. She's working her tail off for her son, she's learned from some mistakes she's made, and she's committed herself to doing the right thing by remaining abstinent until marriage, to which Levi barks, "I doubt it." (The daily reminder of men like Levi might be the biggest asset to the abstinence movement ever!) By the way, instead of a "role model" like Oprah Winfrey commending her for that decision, she blasted her and gave her a chance to retract it. Are you kidding me?! (I'll deal with Oprah at another time.)

The last thing I want to do is spend a Sunday on Levi Johnston. However, I'll spend a hundred Sundays on the opportunity to applaud Bristol Palin for doing the mature, responsible thing--the hard work. She's a good mom, who has another good mom as an example.

I believe there's hope for Levi; I really do. And I hope he grabs ahold of it soon because he's treading on very thin Alaska ice.

Like I said at the start, there's something to be said for letting sleeping dogs lie. But when a lying dog refuses to put his rabid mouth to sleep, sometimes you just have to put that dog down.

Update: Anyone asserting that I am suggesting Levi should be killed is out of his/her mind. By "put that dog down" I mean put him in his place, call him out, fight back instead of letting sleeping dogs lie. Hello!

Irma January 24, 2010 at 7:52 PM

"rabid mouth," "put the dog down," :D good one Adrienne.

Bristol is doing a wonderful job with Tripp. Babies can be a handful and then having to go to school and work, I commend her for giving it her best. In the end it always pays off. The love of her child is most important and Tripp looks at his mom with loving eyes. God bless Bristol and Tripp, and may the Lord guide you and keep you.
Blessings, Irma

ashley4palin2012 January 24, 2010 at 8:01 PM

As someone who has been in a similar situation, Levi is killing his relationship with Tripp. My twin sister and I were born to a very young teenager and my real dad wanted nothing to do with us until my stepdad tried to adopt us! We spent 7-8 years back and forth in court bc of visitation rights and child support! It has forever changed my life as well as the relationships I have with men. I have no positive memories of my real dad and at the rate Levi is going Tripp wont either!! I only wish the best for Tripp, Bristol, and the rest of their families bc it definitely takes a toll on the whole family!

Anonymous,  January 24, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Irma writes, ""rabid mouth," "put the dog down," :D good one Adrienne."

Then continues to talk about God and the Lord blessing and keeping you. This type of person makes my skin crawl. When you "put a dog down", you KILL it, right? Are you saying that Levi should be KILLED? May God help YOU!!!

Adrienne Ross January 24, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Anonymous @ 9:31 PM,

Yes, it would be pretty bad if Irma were saying that Levi should be killed. She was not saying that, nor was I. In fact, that never even crossed my mind. I meant "put him down" as in call him out, fight back, etc. You know, like when we say, "no put-downs." The thought of killing the guy is ridiculous. In fact, just before that I mentioned there being hope for him. So...huh?

Jesse Cornish January 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM

You authoritatively assert that, "Levi has not given Bristol $10,000. Levi has not had an active role in his son's first year of life". I wonder, how could you possibly be privy to such information? It is reasonable to presume you have evidence to support such a claim? I ask because the anti-Palin blogs will most certainly pounce on this one.

Adrienne Ross January 24, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Jesse,

I am not worried about what the anti-Palin blogs pounce on. They pounce on everything except the truth. No, he hasn't given her $10,000 by his own admission because he said he doesn't know how much he's given her. She has her sworn legal documents, so those documents can speak for themselves.

Gina January 24, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Preach it, sister! (Awesome post title, by the way!)

Jesse Cornish January 24, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Thank you for the reply. To be fair then, your syntax is rather misleading, as Mr. Johnston never actually claimed to have given her that sum, a surrogate did.

While you may not care what the anti-Palin blogs say, your alleged "death threat" is already making the rounds and I predict will be picked up by at least a handful of national sites by tomorrow evening. Surely you can't disagree that such poor publicity serves neither the Governor nor her family personally, nor the larger cause.

I hope you'll accept this critique in the manner which it's intended. Respectfully, JC.

Liz I. January 25, 2010 at 12:07 AM

There is only one meaning to "put that dog down" and that is to kill it.

I hope you are ready for a visit from the FBI.

Whitney The Pipsqueak January 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM

"As a dog returns to its vomit; so a fool repeats his folly" -Proverbs 26:11

dsmyre January 25, 2010 at 12:21 AM

I'm disappointed to see a black woman cheerleading support for a failed Republican candidate. Repubs historically have done precious little for the black community, this you should know "sister". I'm also disappointed to see a black woman rushing to reinforce a well-known negative stereotype, namely that of bashing and distancing "baby's daddy" from the distressed single mother. Surely you can do better than this, Ms. Ross.

Adrienne Ross January 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Jesse,

Please. I didn't make a death threat. Nobody thinks I did. They're trying to build a case. Any national site would have common sense enough to know that and would laugh. As for poor publicity...what? As for serving the Governor or the family, do you know something I don't?

Thanks for the advice, but we disagree.

Adrienne Ross January 25, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Liz I,

Maybe in your world there's only one meaning for putting the dog down. In my world, people read and understand context--and metaphor. No member of FBI would read the post and think I was suggesting killing Levi. In fact, even you don't think that. But it serves your purpose, so you run with it--just like you run with the nonsense on the anklebiter blogs. Now, that's a place the FBI should visit.

Adrienne Ross January 25, 2010 at 12:40 AM

dsmyre,

I translate your comments to say, "I'm disappointed to find a black woman who can think for herself." Well, here I am! And guess what...there are lots of us who think, reason, and aren't controlled by an expectation to subscribe to a certain mindset or system. Imagine that!

As for the Republican party doing something for the black community: first, check your history, and second, I'm actually of the mind that we as a people, by the grace of God, can do for ourselves. Don't you agree? Or do you think we're incapable?

Jesse Cornish January 25, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Adrienne Ross,

I have nothing but respect for you. That is why I am posting this.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the above poster who is impersonating me.

He or she has recently made vulgar comments on my own blog and personally threatened me. I now know what the intent was. The blogger can use my name and link back to website without much effort due to blogger's comment system.

I am pro-Palin all the way through. I voted for her in 2008. I went to the Grand Rapids booksigning. I met her personally.

Please, delete these comments. They are not from me. Visit my blog. You will see that I am telling the truth.