Governor Palin's Endorsement of Senator McCain; Updated

Friday, January 22, 2010

Governor Palin, a RINO? Are you kidding me?

I have very little tolerance for backstabbers. And I have even less tolerance for backstabbers who are motivated by a desire to control the decisions of people who have proven that they operate on principle, not pressure.

Tonight Paul Streitz, co-founder of the 2012 Draft Sarah Committee, sent out an email blasting Governor Palin for her support of Senator John McCain, among other things. Streitz no longer holds a leadership position with the committee, nor has he for almost a year now. Although he phrased his email as if he is speaking for the committee, he is not.

His email states in part:

She has now chose to align herself with several bad actors. What should this be called, the Rinoization of Sarah Palin.

At the time of the election, perhaps Sarah Palin could have been forgiven for her ideas on immigration (and lack of knowledge) because she was governor of Alaska, not Arizona. But in the intervening months, she has done little but promote herself as a celebrity, known because her brief time on the national stage..

She is certainly entitled to write a book and make money for her and her family, but other than what has she has done to support Republican and patriotic candidates.

Where was she in VA?
Where was she in NJ?
Where was she in Mass?

Guiliani showed up in Mass because he knew what was at stake. Perhaps, Sarah was too busy talking to her agent about her Fox deal. Where the hell was Sarah?

Napoleon once said that he wanted Generals that went to the sound of the cannon. That they instinctively were fighters. He also said he wanted generals that had bon chance, good luck. Well, Sarah has had good luck, but she has not gone to the sound of the cannon, where critical battles were fought in 2009.

First of all, I'm not sure where Paul Streitz has been hiding out, but Governor Palin has always said that she would support John McCain's quest for re-election. Did he not know that she is a woman of her word? Did he expect her to turn tail and run when the time came? Mel dealt with this in an earlier post for Conservatives4Palin.

And where does he come off questioning her willingness to roll up her sleeves and run into the fight? If she's not the general fighting for common sense conservatism, who is? There is no other person who has put herself on the line for love of country as she has. There is not one other public figure who has gone through the hell that Governor Palin has gone through--her every word analyzed, her every step sized up, her family picked apart. Who else has sacrificed personal comfort and family privacy to the degree that she has in order to make a difference in this nation? She has undergone scrutiny to a degree none of us has ever seen before. The attacks, the accusations, the utter hatred she has endured are unprecedented. And with each new occurrence, she only speaks out even louder. That's not called celebrity; that's called selfless public service. Governor Palin's commitment to the success of this country is without question. Where does Streitz come off accusing her of only looking after self, simply because she's not a puppet whose strings he can dangle? That's really what this is all about, isn't it?

Governor Palin has supported candidates who support the values that she espouses. She has rallied the American people to do the same in key races in New York, New Jersey, Virginia, and Massachusetts. In addition, SarahPAC has given generously to aid in these efforts. As promised, she will soon hit the road and support other candidates she stands behind, including Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann, and yes, John McCain in this critical year.

If Paul Streitz's support of Governor Palin is contingent upon his agreeing with every decision she makes or her selling out her deeply-held values, that's unfortunate. While all support is appreciated, the governor has never been for sale. Ask the Alaska establishment, who learned that early in her political career.

Paul Streitz should note that true character is revealed, not necessarily when we agree with someone, but in areas where we may disagree. The way we deal with those situations says a lot about who we really were all along. When disagreements lead to backstabbing, undermining, and trying to rally others to buy into it, I have to wonder if the knife was waiting in the back pocket all along.

Once again, Paul Streitz was not speaking for the 2012 Draft Sarah Committee. In a soon-to-be-released Alert, Chairman Randy Highsmith states:

Paul Streitz, co-founder of the 2012 Draft Sarah Committee, who has not held a leadership position with the Committee for almost a year now, sent out an email tonight voicing his disapproval of Governor Palin’s recent decisions. If you have received his email, you were probably under the impression that he was speaking for us, for he phrased it in such a way as to give that impression. However, he was not—in any way, shape, or form—speaking for the 2012 Draft Sarah Committee. He was speaking for himself. We do not, as a Committee, support his perspective or condone his approach.

Governor Palin has always acted on principle, which is one of many reasons we have supported her so vehemently and will continue to do so.

Randy Highsmith
Chairman

Update: As most people who are paying attention know--people unlike Paul Streitz, that is--Governor Palin did endorse both McDonnell and Christie and gave them the maximum money allowed by law. The governor also offered to go campaign for them, but her physical assistance was not required, and the offer was politely declined. As for Massachusetts, it was wisdom on Governor Palin's part not to go stump for him, as he was working hard to stand independent of the national Republican establishment. Her arrival in a blue state like Massachusetts may have easily worked against him--something the Left was hoping for--so she let him stand on his own, and we all know how this panned out for him. Streitz would be wise to get his facts straight before running his mouth.

Bob Simpson,  January 22, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Thank you for this commonsense post. If someone wants to see a candidate that they agree with 100% of the time, he or she needs to look in their mirror, no one else will do! :))

Anonymous,  January 22, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Outstanding Adrienne!

Jackytc January 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I wrote this at Sarah facebook page;

"Okay, men, I've heard you. Now, here's the way we're going to do it. Let's get to work for the good of the team" (page xi)

by Coach Deam Smith book 'The Carolina Way'-Leadership lessons from a life of Coaching.
(page xi)

Lorna Marie January 22, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Thanks sister, for clearing this up for people who clearly do not "get" Gov. Palin!

Just a conservative girl January 22, 2010 at 5:56 PM

There are people who are fans of hers and disagree with the decision to stump for McCain. If she were stumping for him for the general election it would be a little different. McCain is going up against people who are more true to conservative values than he. He also has stood back and watched his staff throw her under the bus and has said next to nothing to stop it. His actions don't warrent her loyalty; or should I say his inactions? He certainly is not returning it.

She can easily forgive him, but that doesn't mean she has to put her own values aside to do it.

Adrienne Ross January 22, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Just a conservative girl,

Yes, people disagree with her. No one has to agree 100% with anyone. What I said in this post, however, was that even when we disagree, THE WAY we disagree reveals who we are. Streitz's being a backstabber has nothing to do with his disagreement; it has everything to do with his methods, which are inexcusable.

As for her putting her own values aside, I don't think that's the governor. I think some people are confusing their values with hers. Apparently Streitz wants her to follow his values. She will follow her own, and as she said many times, "If I die politically, I die."

Again, my point is HOW to disagree. He was unethical in his approach, plain and simple.

M.B.,  January 22, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I love Sarah, and I understand that she may feel she has an obligation to McCain since she was his VP pick. Okay. That's her call to make. During the election, I cast my vote for that ticket, not because of McCain, but because of Sarah. I am an Arizonan resident, and this is about Arizona's senator. This is my call to make, and here's my choice: While I value McCain's past service as a military person, I repeatedly disagree with his sometimes non-conservative ideology, and his sometimes non-Conservative voting. As an Arizonan, I can tell you that illegal immigration is a HUGE problem here, and we need our borders to be made secure, pronto. Until McCain expresses strong agreement with that and with other vital matters that affect our State (and our country), and does so in a manner that exemplifies true Conservativism (along with firmly expressing that he has changed his mind about his once non-conservative views), then he cannot and will not have my vote no matter who endorses him--- should another true Conservative challenge him at the polls. In all fairness, I will say that, since the presidential election, he has voted very conservatively on every issue that I can think of, and that's to be commended. Will it last? I don't know. We'll see. Yes, I love Sarah dearly--- but there it is.

Adrienne Ross January 23, 2010 at 12:08 AM

M.B.,

You very politely expressed your disagreement with the governor, which is all I wanted from Paul Streitz. I don't have a beef with people who disagree. No one will agree 100% with someone. My beef was the way Streitz went about it. He could learn a thing or two from you.

M.B.,  January 23, 2010 at 1:46 PM

These are interesting times, Adrienne. We'll see how McCain handles himself, and how he does the people's business at this point. Who knows? He may well be influenced more to the Conservative side by Sarah--- and by the majority of voters who are making it crystal clear that we want the fundamental values of Conservatism (upon which this country is founded) to stand... period! Mmmmmmm. We'll see. As for her... standing in her shoes, would any recent VP pick "dis" the one with whom they ran when they're still this close to the last Presidential race? Would that even be honorable when (as I said) McCain has voted conservatively on everything since the election ended? May Sarah act wisely/prudently, and navigate these waters with skill. In addition, may AZ have as its Senator whoever will serve this State best at this point. None of that is impossible. Thx, Adrienne.

Conservative Pup January 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Adrienne,

Thanks for writing this; it echoes my thoughts. I love Sarah Palin, and have enormous respect and admiration for her. I confess to feeling slightly disappointed when I heard she would campaign for McCain, but in the very next second, I thought, 'well of course she would.'

Gov. Palin strikes me as someone whose loyalty is a core value and runs deep in her bones. You have met her, and I haven't, but this is how she comes across to me. I admire that, and while I might or might not support McCain in his next bid for the Senate, I support her for her loyalty to him, her respect for him and his service, and her gratitude for what he has done for her.

Honestly, it is just what I would expect from her. She may not agree with all his positions, but she respects him and feels gratitude to him, and is loyal to him. This doesn't shake my confidence in Palin, nor change how I feel about her. If anything, I admire and respect her even more, if that's possible.

I'm linking to this post today in my Pup's Picks.

M.B.,  January 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM

p.s. :) Here's an excellent article that offers some much-needed perspective--- good food for thought for those of us who are digesting, and or praying about this: http://texas4palin.blogspot.com/2010/01/raising-mccain_23.html