Family Guy: Equal Opportunity Jerks (UPDATED w/ Fox CEO Contact Info)

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I do not watch "Family Guy" for one simple reason: I'm not a fan of puking my guts out and, no doubt, the show would create that kind of reaction from me. I've seen enough previews to know that it is the kind of thing I simply would not find humorous. I've seen their mocking of Jesus, for example, and frankly, I don't give place to that in my home.

Therefore, had it not been the subject of many a blog and email yesterday, I would not have known about Sunday's episode that alludes to Governor Palin and her son, Trig.

In the episode, a feisty girl with Down Syndrome has a date with a teenage boy. Forgive me for not knowing the names of any of the show's characters. Like I said, I have an aversion to puking; thus, my ignorance of the culture of "Family Guy."

As I began watching the video clip yesterday, I was scratching my head, for if there is any appeal at all to the show, I am completely oblivious to it. No, let me be honest: there isn't any. What I found was something that both angered and saddened me.

Upon demanding that she be asked about her family, the special needs character identifies her mother as "the former governor of Alaska." Without the use of names, it is an obvious reference to the Palins, as Trig has Down Syndrome and Palin is the former Alaska governor.

Much has been discussed, and even more written, about this episode. Even leftists acknowledge that this is below the belt. You can see the clip for yourself by clicking here. Personally, I cannot figure out why the Palin reference is necessary. I cannot figure out how it adds to the storyline. It certainly doesn't contribute to any humor that a good archaeologist might manage to dig up somewhere in this show.

"Family Guy" has taken a shot at Palin before. During the 2008 campaign, Palin and McCain were portrayed as Nazis. As insulting as that was, there is a major difference between that piece of trash and this one. That one went after adults. Sunday's attack? That attack involved a child. That attack revealed, as Bristol Palin so wisely stated, "that they're heartless jerks."

As far as I'm concerned, personal attacks are just asinine. Nonetheless, we adults have learned to just plow through them. However, when people's children are placed on the chopping block, a line is crossed that simply cannot be tolerated.

Let me remind you: Barack Obama told the media early in his candidacy to leave his children alone. He was right to make such a request/demand--and everyone obeyed. Children of public figures should be off-limits. Governor Palin's children deserve the same respect President Obama's children have been given, which is the same respect every child deserves.

So in the name of decency, "Family Guy"--and everyone else who has declared a never-ending hunting season on her children: "Leave Governor Palin's children alone!"

But what does the show's creator have to say?

The Times asked "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane for an interview regarding the matter. But he opted to send a statement via his publicist: "From its inception, 'Family Guy' has used biting satire as the foundation of its humor. The show is an "equal-opportunity offender."

Really? Well, if he wants to be "an equal opportunity offender," then he deserves "an equal opportunity" response from the people. If this is his only means of getting laughs, perhaps the show needs to find some new people who understand that there's no comedy in demeaning a special needs boy and his mother.

I am calling on all of us to contact the sponsors of Sunday's show to tell them exactly how we feel about the disgusting, heartless sense of humor displayed on "Family Guy" Sunday night.

Governor Palin wrote in her Facebook note that this "felt like another kick in the gut." It's time we kick back. You are consumers; therefore, you are powerful. Use that power.

There will be those who will say contacting sponsors, boycotting companies, and making our voices heard are over the top. To those people I say look at the clip of "Family Guy" mocking Trig--an innocent, precious gift from God who means as much to his family as your children and loved ones mean to you. Now tell me it's over the top!

Here's the contact information (Be sure to contact Fox):

Rupert Murdoch, Chairman and CEO
News Corporation (Parent Company of all Fox brands)

Fox Broadcasting Company – 310-369-1000
(Producer of Family Guy)

YUM! Brands (Pizza Hut) - 502-874-8300
Red Bull North America Inc. - 310-393-4647
Mars, Inc. - 703-821-4900
Toyota Motor Sales, Inc. - 800-331-4331
Bally Total Fitness Holdings Corp. - 773-399-1300
Pfizer, Inc. - 212-573-2323
Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company - 312-644-2121
Universal Pictures - 818-777-1000

(H/T thedesignconservative)

Update #2: Governor Palin appeared on O'Reilly tonight. After discussing the Tea Party movement, she discussed "Family Guy" and special needs slurs.

(Video H/T US4Palin)

Anonymous,  February 16, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Rev. Joseph

anyone that would do such is lower the whale crap and we all know where that is.
But, this is a compliment to Mrs Palin. After all, if she was no threat she wouldn't be the center of their fear. Plus, I'm sure this just makes her stronger.

Libby February 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM

This is really over the line, and I wish I would come face to face with the writer of the program. How heartless can a person be. But when you think about this Country and abortion , we have lost all respect for Children.When we have a law that a woman can kill her child , all feelings for children is lost.We must change this law.Mrs Palin hold your head high and stay in the will of the Lord.
Mrs. Whitson

Anonymous,  February 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Love the post. I too don't let trash TV into my home. If it's a worthy show or an "okay" show, I'll let us watch it, but Family Guy is just trash. Nice to see another woman Palin fan, I simply do NOT understand the number of women who profess to be all for equal rights that hate the sight of her and none of them I've ever talked to could even give me half of a real reason!

Rock on and keep up the great columns!

usabruce February 17, 2010 at 12:02 AM

This episode is indicative of the overall disrespectful and demeaning mindset of those in charge of media, education and govt, for anyone who disagrees with their foolish and dangerous agenda. Tsunami 2010 is the beginning of purging this filth from the reins of power.

jake in Jersey,  February 17, 2010 at 8:32 AM

What do you expect of low class people, & the audiences that condone this behavior. Lets voice our decent and contact the people responsible for putting this dribble on the airways.Good Job keep these items in the public eye.

Anonymous,  February 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM

That episode is disgusting and the media needs to stop!!! what I would like to know is why doesn't our GOP leaders like Steele, romney, mccain, huckabee show some spine and speak out against this kind of behavior?? never mind, i know, they are afraid of her poltical power also.
the whole lot of them is despicable, i hope all of the liberals , rino's , and msnbc media go down the tube...
Sarah will prevail, patience is a virture, that liberals don't have.

Sonny Hicks,  February 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Sonny in Orlando said

While such lowlife is the mindset of the liberal media and entertainment industry it shows that they are really worried about Sarah Palin. She is really starting to rock their boat.

EARLMOCK2,  February 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Comments and skits such as this only show the FEAR the left has for Sarah Palin. It is
fear that brings out STUPIDITY.

bestbud February 17, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Thanks for posting this I also saw it on C4P and have called several numbers... same old trash talk attacks and hopefully others at FOX who are within the organization like Sarah will pressure Mgt to stop this kind of hateful programing.

Anonymous,  February 18, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Fox "viewers services comments":
212-301-3028 press 3

As for each advertiser-ask for consumer services

Anonymous,  February 18, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I love Sarah Palin also. However she is under a barage of pleas for endorsements, especially from the republican party insiders. She is going to make mistakes. We are under obligation to inform her when we believe she makes a wrong decision and is being used by the party.
Also who has made her a spokesperson for the Tea Party movement. Where's independence?

Adrienne Ross February 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM

To the immature person trying to leave comments by using someone else's name (whose comments I REJECT):

No, we will not sit down and shut up.

Oh, and we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

The answer will be the same tomorrow: No!

Now deal with it--or keep leaving insightful (LOL!), thought-provoking (ROFL!) comments for me to REJECT.

Most of the time I only read the first couple words, hit REJECT, and go about enjoying my day. (It doesn't get me down, by the way--in case you were wondering.) Today, however, I felt like a little mindless reading, so I read the whole thing you wrote. Tomorrow? Who knows?!

Attempt to have a wonderful night. May you find the joy you're looking for. It's found in Christ alone, by the way--and He does love you as He loves me, in spite of us.