Stanislaus Protest Planned, an Exercise in Futility; Updated

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Governor Palin will be speaking at Stanislaus University this Friday, June 25th. Much has been made of this particular speaking engagement with people complaining about the Governor being the choice to headline the school's 50th anniversary celebration. They have hidden behind what they hoped would appear to be reasonable arguments for their protest, but those arguments simply don't hold water.

Look, if school officials would disqualify a "polarizing and divisive celebrity with no connection to our school or community," as one person coined her, perhaps they need to re-examine the reason for fundraisers. The last time I checked, the institution was proceeding on the common sense theory that she would raise a plethora of cash for them during a time when finances are needed. By the way, if schools, organizations, or companies only invited speakers who were connected to them personally, most people would be wiped out of consideration from the jump.

Complaining about the fee is also disingenuous. The original fee was not coming out of the school's pocket, so what's the beef? You pay no money out but receive an abundance of money in while hosting the former vice presidential nominee--and whining ensues? Let's get real. These ridiculous complaints are just smokescreens to hide a larger political agenda, as Bill O'Reilly exposed when he interviewed two students from the university. He allowed them to have their say, but he ended the segment by showing them for the obsessive partisans they are. His final point:

I don't think you're being quite honest with us. Mrs. Palin has already passed on her speaking fee and is bringing in money to the university. So it seems that even if you don't like her philosophy, she is doing good for the college. C'mon! This is ideology!

Of course it is. And their hatin' ways have yielded no rewards, for Governor Palin will indeed grace Stanislaus University this week with her common sense appeal. However, it will not go forward without some planned drama.

The word on the street is that Craigslist in San Francisco has posted a protest of Governor Palin's visit. And what a protest. Apparently the issue now is not the fee, the Governor's "polarizing" power, or her lack of connection to the school. No, they've called on old faithful. They're protesting her "racism, bigotry, and hate." What complete loons. And is it just me or do her recent endorsements belie their claim? Just saying. Indeed, these people have built air castles and moved in, and the voices inside their heads are getting the best of them.

The call to the protest reads:

Protest Sarah Palin & the Tea Party!
Friday June 25
12:00 PM - 10:00 PM

CSU, Stanislaus, Turlock
Meet at the corner of Monte Vista and Geer Rd.

Protest Sarah Palin & the Tea Party on June 25th

The CSU, Stanislaus community rejects Sarah Palin and her Tea Party! We are a community of working class immigrants and people of color who have been historically silenced and pushed aside by the right-wing elite that dominates our Central Valley. We will be silent no more! We urge our brothers and sisters through out California to support our struggle against the hate and racism destroying our communities.

Join us on June 25th, 2010 at CSU, Stanislaus and help us show that Palin’s agenda of hate, racism, and right-wing reactionary politics is not welcome in the Central Valley or in California!

Of course these nuts have no evidence for their allegations, as they never do. They simply throw out their own hate speech and rely on silly, gullible people to jump on board in agreement, people at a loss for how to handle their paralyzing fear of Governor Palin who is kicking their butts in every single debate in which she chooses to engage. The fact that she's making their president look like the unprepared community organizer that he is doesn't do anything to endear herself to them either. know the script: "racism, bigotry, and hate." After all, anyone who sat in Jeremiah Wright's church for twenty years must...Oh wait, that was someone else. Sounds like some people are projecting.

If you're in the area Friday and can show up and demonstrate your support for Governor Palin, go for it. Drop a line to @palintwibe or email to say you'll be there. As many as can, please go and respectfully make a statement that Americans are tired of the games, the politics-as-usual, the racebaiting.

I believe it's safe to say the Stanislaus protest will be as futile as the protests that have come before. The Governor is not going to sit down and shut up, no matter how loudly the Palin-deranged scream out--and neither are we.

Update: It appears that Bill O'Reilly misspoke when he said that Governor Palin passed on her speaking fee, or perhaps he meant she has already brought in more than her fee. In any case, my point still remains because the university didn't have to pay out for the Governor. As the university president has said, "This event is being 100 percent funded with fresh, private money coming into the foundation" ( I, for one, am glad she is getting paid. It's simple: those who work are worthy of their pay.

Moriarty70 June 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Despite the fact that they can't articulate why they're protesting, isn't it their right, as free citizens, to protest something they don't agree with?

I saw much the same arguments leveled during Ann Coulter's visit to Canada.

Adrienne Ross June 23, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Yes, it is their right to assemble and make unsubstantiated claims against a citizen, albeit it is very dangerous and irresponsible. Calling someone a bigot and a racist with absolutely no evidence, and much evidence to the contrary, is hazardous. So yes, they have the right to show themselves to be simple-minded, and I have the right to call them out and encourage others to show support for her. What a country!

Anonymous,  June 23, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I don't know where Bill O'Reilly got the idea that Sarah Palin "passed on her speaking fee." She's already been paid $75,000. The only organization she's spoken for without a fee has been the NRA.

honestyinGov,  June 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Ms. Ross I had a question about the statement you made....
"Mrs. Palin has already passed on her speaking fee "

Are you saying S. Palin will NOT receive a Fee for speaking there...?
What is your source?
Would you explain that statement.

Adrienne Ross June 23, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I deleted your second comment by mistake. Your point was definitely well-taken, though. Thank you. I apologize, and I hope you will repost.

Adrienne Ross June 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Anonymous at 2:20 and honestyinGov,

Check out the update. Thanks.

honestyinGov,  June 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM

If she HASN'T passed on that speaking Fee doesn't THAT change the whole point of the comment or the message you made in the story?

The statement/point is still in that big bold box right up front.
A little blurb at the ' end ' of the story seems to have gotten lost after you already made the point and used it as a basis of the story.
You don't have a ' problem ' with telling a story like THAT..? I would. As the old saying goes.. " You can't unring a bell " .. can You?

Anonymous,  June 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I will be there supporting Sarah Palin and to denounce the sexism and intolerence of her critics, and to protest the 'Shopliftin' John' Leland Yee - deranged Palin critic and frequent patron of San Fran prostitutes who also enjoys shoplifting from drug stores and editing those particular entries out of his Wikipedia page (from his state senate office no less).

As for her speaking fee, it is well documented that Sarah Palin redonates her speaking fees to PAC's of candidates and groups she supports.

"Sarah Palin has announced that she will serve as keynote speaker at this week's Tea Party Convention in Nashville, Tennessee. Sarah Palin announced that she will attend the Tea Party Convention in Nashville, Tennessee this week, where she will serve as the keynote speaker for the event. Palin also said in a blog in USA Today that she will not "benefit financially from the $100,000 speaking fee she is going to earn. Instead she is going to donate the money to support grassroots activists."

Adrienne Ross June 23, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I did not use that piece of info as the basis for my post. My point is that these protests are ridiculous and futile. This is the basis for my article. O'Reilly pointed out that the girls were simply protesting based on ideology and that they were being dishonest in denying that. They argued that she was polarizing. Silly argument. They argued that her fee was too much for the university. The university is not paying for it; rather, she is bringing in money, so...silly argument. So again, my point remains--and O'Reilly made that point well and exposed their obsessive partisanship and Palin-derangement.

Anonymous,  June 26, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I posted as ' Anonymous,  June 23, 2010 7:21 PM' and just have returned from CSU Stanislaus.

I arrived at the corner of Monte Vista and Geer at 1 pm and was a little surprised to see the corner was vacant. I saw no other gatherings at that time around the school. I stood on the corner of MV and Geer for about 3 hours before breaking for lunch. Several passersby stopped to show their support, A few took pictures with me. A photographer for the Modesto Bee stopped by and took photos of me and one passerby who joined me for a half hour or so.

I took a break for lunch and went to AJ's Cafe and Grill on Geer (Turkey bird sandwich and shake were DELICIOUS!). I read in the paper there a protest was also occuring at a small park on Gettysburg,

There was still nobody at the corner of MV and Geer at 5 pm when I returned from my lunch break. EPIC FAIL on the MV-GEER protest.

I headed over to the park on Gettysburg and saw a small handful of 'progressives/socialists gatherd (about 12 of them). I walked around for a bit with my 2 double sided signs (Run Sarah Run/Stop the H8 End Liberal Sexism & Intolerance - Leland Yee Shopliftin' John/Teabag Leland). Realizing this event was also a huge FAIL I headed over to the Stanislaus campus where I did see a crowd.

MANY Palin supporters were there - most in Tea Party garb of red white and blue. An smaller crowd of protestors was also there. The campus police paid the Palin supporters no heed. We were very well behaved. The Palin critics were constantly surrounded by officers or security.

About 6:30 ish a black limo pulled up and the driver rolled down his window and shouted what must have been something like 'this is Sarah's car. The crowd went wild. Sarah rolled down the window and waved to us, we all chanted her name and cheered her arrival. She rolled down the window again for a 2nd wave, again to the delight of the crowd.

I confronted a few people who shouted the 'racist' slur and asked them what Sarah had ever said or done that could be interpreted as racist. Never did get a reasonable response to that one. I reminded them she was married to a native Alaskan. One woman claimed she was racist simply because she was a Republican - so I decided to give a 'sidewalk history lesson' to her group citing Republican opposition to slavery while Democrats supported slavery. I spoke of Republican opposition to Jim Crow laws and Democrat support of the laws. I cited Republican opposition to the KK and Democratic support of the hate group. I cited Republican support for civil rights and Democrat opposition to civil rights. I reminded them MLK was a Republican.

I met many great people at the event. A few were legal immigrants that were there to support Palin - which really confused the liberals and sort of debunked their claims of racism and hate even further.

I was interviewed several times - not sure if any of them will get aired or published but I enjoyed the opportunity to speak out in support of Sarah and against the neo-liberal politics of smear and fear.

God Bless all who showed up in support of Sarah today! What a fantastic crowd!

Adrienne Ross June 26, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Anonymous @ 12:01 on June 26th,

Thank you so much for your amazing support of the Gov. You rock!

Kristi King,  June 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

So good to hear about this! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Sounds like Sarah was safe and sound in the hands of God and her supporters! :)

Adrienne Ross June 26, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Yes, she is definitely safe in His arms. I wonder who's been praying for her. :) LOL! (Thank you for your diligence, little sis.)