Reconsider 'Reconsider'; Updated

Monday, November 28, 2011

In light of recent discussions and the Reconsider movement designed to convince Governor Palin to reconsider her decision not to run for President, seen most notably in an Iowa television ad and Fox News interview, I posted the following on Conservatives4Palin:

Conservatives4Palin is a community of people with one goal. That goal is expressed quite clearly in the name of our site. We are conservatives who stand for Governor Palin. We stand for her efforts to impact America. And we stand for the principles that she personifies. We were never a Draft Palin site, and our support of her never hinged on whether or not she chose to be Commander-in-Chief. In other words, our support comes with no strings attached. This, perhaps, is what separates us from the fans of many public figures. We, to be clear, are not fans. We are supporters who choose to be here. We do what we do out of respect for what Governor Palin represents. We do it with our hearts and our talents, and it is our pleasure.

Having said that, while we have the same goal, we don't always agree on what that looks like. Nothing has made that more clear to me than this Reconsider movement that has surged. Until recently, I have kept my feelings to myself, as I really didn't want to get caught up in the daily discussions on the topic. However, I will remain silent no more. Yes, I will be respectful, but silence isn't the answer. I have strong feelings on the subject, and it's time to put them out there. The chips will fall where they may, and I'm fine with that.

Like everyone who knows who Governor Palin is, who respects her common sense, who values her wealth of experience and plentiful accomplishments, I wanted her to run for President. It took some time for me to wrap my brain around her decision not to do so. But it was necessary that I reached that point. It was the healthy, respectful thing to do.

So hear my heart in this.

At her core, the Governor is a person of deep faith. She did not make her decision lightly, which we all should know, especially since many were quite vocal about how long it took her to make that decision. Because I know her character, I know that she sought God's direction in this. Nobody wants her to fulfill her purpose more than she does, nobody has been impacted by this process more than she has, and nobody labored in prayer concerning this more than she did. Through that intense seeking, she found her answer: not now. As I see it, repeatedly asking her to reconsider not doing something she obviously believes God has directed her not to do is disrespectful--albeit well-intentioned--and shows a lack of understanding of how she operates. She is simply not going to disobey God to please people. That's not who she is. Now, I believe things could change in a heartbeat, but not because of people trying to force her hand. If she chose to get in the race, it would be because that's the direction she feels God has led her. Man's efforts in this regard are futile. She already knows what we want, and she has thanked us for believing in her, but this decision was bigger than we are.

Some have said, "If she didn't like the Reconsider movement, why hasn't she addressed it? She hasn't done anything to stop it." I beg to differ. She said she wasn't running. She said more than once she has no regrets. She said her supporters should respect her decision. What more could she possibly say? Why should she have to say she's not reconsidering? She never said she was. I believe that up until now she has said nothing about the movement specifically because she recognizes that she would spend every waking moment saying the same thing she's already said, and it wouldn't change a thing for some people. Some would still think she's flashing symbols, plotting maneuvers, and about to drop the bomb--metaphorical, of course--any moment. I'm sure she appreciates every guesture, but I also think we should truly respect her decision, not just in word but in deed.

There are some who believe that Governor Palin didn't mean a thing she said on October 5th. They believe she has intended all along to run and is just playing a game with people, making some strategic political move. That, too, isn't who she is. Yes, she's savvy, and holds her cards close to her vest, but she's not stringing us along. We, of all people, should know that. I believe it's time we take her at her word. It's time we come to understand that she really is the person we have said she is. She is not the typical politician. She is a woman of integrity. We say it, but do we believe it?

Many people got involved to make the Iowa television ad a reality. It was a well-done ad, though something I did not support. I feel it would have been perfect before she made her wishes known. Now, however, I believe it simply fuels this insistence in people to get the Governor to do something she has told us she isn't going to do. That concerns me. Disagree with me if you will, but I find that kind of insistence unhealthy. I believe that our money could better be spent supporting the Governor in other ways. I'm sure SarahPAC could use the finances. I'm sure that money could be saved to donate to the candidate Governor Palin endorses, if she chooses to endorse. Now, I don't pretend to speak for her, but I find it hard to believe that she would feel comfortable with people pouring their hard-earned money, during such difficult times, into something she has stated she is not going to do. Of course, people are free to do what they want with their own money, but I can only imagine the Governor cringing at this. We can agree to disagree, but that's my humble opinion, based on her principles. So while the ad states that it was authorized by C4P, the truth is C4P is made up of various people with various perspectives, and judging from my communications with the C4P staff, as well as reading C4P comments, we are not all on the same page with this.

Conservatives4Palin has been fortunate enough to be considered among the cream of the crop in all things Palin. With that status comes a certain responsibility to act responsibly. As far as I'm concerned, any decision to engage in never-ending Make Palin Reconsider efforts is not acting responsibly, not on the Governor's behalf and not on behalf of the people who have found us worthy of their time and attention. Therefore, I deem such efforts to be a violation of the trust placed in us. This is why I have chosen to publicly post my perspective on this highly-charged issue.

And highly-charged it is. Too often those who have voiced disagreement with the Reconsider movement, those who have decided to simply take the Governor at her word, are branded as non-supporters or deserters. Be sure to check a person's track record before those kinds of accusations. I am certain that my record speaks for itself. I am indeed for Palin. It is because I am that I feel so passionate about this issue. I feel drawn to showing her the respect that she deserves, trusting that her 2012 decision was one of the most difficult ones she's ever had to make. I am committed to standing by her side in whichever direction she takes. She is certainly not done making an impact, taking a stand against corruption in government, and fighting for the future of America. Therefore, I am certainly not done supporting her. I have said since 2008 that as long as she remains on the right side of right, wherever the road leads, I will travel it with her.

While I knew that this would be an article that would cause some people annoyance, I hope all have heard my heart in this. I have great appreciation for the many people who have invested themselves into their support of Governor Palin. I trust that as we observe the roads God takes her--or doesn't take her--down, we will honor her decisions, we will respect one another even when we passionately disagree, and we will continue to be for her. For me, part of that process is taking her at her word, focusing on what I can do to promote what she's committed to now, and watching the mighty impact we will make. Now, that is the kind of earthquake that will do her proud.

------

I added the following update as a result of the plethora of comments over at C4P. It's been a lively debate.

Update: There have been many comments made, quite passionate ones, concerning this article. Some have been most respectful, others not so much. Nonetheless, that's what sometimes happens when people begin to discuss issues that matter most to them. I love passion, though passion tempered with respect is preferable, and I thank those who demonstrated that.

As I finalize my comments on this particular thread, let me clarify something that many people obviously missed. I never said Governor Palin would never be President. What I stressed was that any change for 2012 would be the result of Governor Palin's believing she's been led in that direction, not people trying to force her hand. It would come because she felt, through prayer, that she was to take that path. I never said I didn't want her to be President, and I certainly never said I was so very excitedly throwing my support behind someone else. I, like every common sense American who knows her record and principles, want her to be President. More than that, however, I want her to obey the leading she receives. If those two things collide, great. If not, so be it. I will take her at her word, respectfully. I trust God to do whatever He chooses to do. As for me, I will do what I've been doing for three years now--supporting her and consistently praying that His will be done for her and her family, as many other supporters have been doing. As I've said more times than I can count, big things are in store for the Governor. She will fulfill her destiny, and whatever that is, I'm all for it. But an ongoing Reconsider movement, as far as I'm concerned, isn't the answer. It won't change her mind. But God...well, again, He can do anything. If you didn't get that from the article, you missed my point. If you got it but still don't like it, well, it is what it is. We will have to agree to disagree.

Onward and upward.

Anonymous,  November 28, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I respect Governor Palin's decision, but da-yum, the field looks pathetic out there. If she did reconsider, she would be the frontrunner right out of the gate.

bestbud November 28, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Thanks Adrienne, from the bottom of my heart I say Thank You!
Brilliant and sobering are your thoughts but most of all is the truth in them.
I believe as you, and I believe Gov Palin... She said it best when saying, "you trust me to be Commander-In-Chief but you don't trust my decision not to run... Come-On!"
I'm in your camp... Gov Palin sought through prayer Gods will and God and family won out concerning a presidential run at this time... But; Country is very much going to be served by Gov Palin's continued building of a stronger foundation of conservative principals and candidates capable to carry the message... She will stand up and I, like you, will stand beside her!

Thanks again; Happy Trails and Sarah Palin Smiles :)

Lynda November 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM

My friend you wrote the article that has been going around in my mind for days...Yes, I could feel your heart...Thank you

wodiej November 29, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Hi Adrienne, I posted over at C4P where most seem to be missing the point of your article. I agree w you and God bless.

Jennifer,  November 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Adrienne,

Thank you for your very thoughtful post. I was banned from Conservatives4Palin for having the same perspective you do; so it is good to know that I am not alone in my perspective.

Gov. Palin would have made a wonderful president, but she decided not to run and we must respect that. She'll still be the endorsement to gain going forward and one day we may still have the privilege of voting for Sarah Palin as President!

-Jennifer

Nancy November 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Hi Adrienne,

Thank you, very much, for this lovely missive which so eloquently expresses the thoughts and feelings of many supporters of Governor Sarah Palin. I am with you totally--in heart, mind, and spirit!

Warm regards,

Nancy Goodale
Fairfax, VA

Anonymous,  November 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I wholeheartedly agree and have tried to impress to other fb friends how many of us Sarah Palin supporters feel, but not as eloquently as you have. I have tried to open eyes and hearts without offending the ones that are still in the grieving process. But, now think it is time to ask our Lord to heal their hearts and help them to go on with life as we all have to do. And the ones that are just simply selfish, self willed and want their own way; not God's will, or Palin's. I ask God to dbring them to repentance. Open their eyes to see, their ears to hear, prepare their hearts and Lord change them in Jesus's name. And those that are wolves in sheeps clothing, the Lord rebuke you in Jesus's name; be gone from Sarah Palin's pages. Lord, deal with them and save their souls in Jesus name. All praises, thanksgivings and glory to our Lord God in Jesus' name.

Adrienne Ross November 29, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Thank you for the comments, everyone. I'm continuing to trust God to do what He wants in this situation. The best is yet to come--by His doing, of course, not man's.

Anonymous,  November 29, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Well I'm not set up to post here, but at C4P I post as ellengba.

I really appreciate your comment and I fully agree with you.

It rather saddened me to see what has happened at C4P. We said we'd have her back no matter, but after 10/5 it wasn't a safe space for having her back in not running.

I don't visit the site as much, because folks aren't on the same page anymore. There are plenty of places to argue C4P had been my respite.

Still I wanted to tell you I support what you wrote. I hope it makes a difference. Best wishes.

Adrienne Ross November 29, 2011 at 7:53 PM

wodiej, I want to thank you personally for all your support for me over on the C4P thread. You really put yourself out there to stand up for me, and I want you to know how much I appreciate it. You were willing to take the fire you knew was sure to come. Thank you, and thanks for your support of the Gov! May God's will be done in her life.

Adrienne Ross November 29, 2011 at 7:54 PM

ellengba, your comment does indeed matter. Thank you for the encouragement. God bless you!

Elizabeth Hawkes,  November 30, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I am really disappointed at some factions over at C4P and the gradual deterioration of political savviness since October 5th. In fact, I have been upset for quite some time. Case in point is Ian's pathetically embarrassing interview on Cavuto regarding the Sarah draft movement and reconsider nonsense. In their feeble attempt, for some of these once respected bloggers, to stay personally relevant they have diminished the value of her support network and have tarnished her good name. The detractors will blame her for this BS if they can connect her to the malaise of turning out a GOP vote and she is innocent, again. She very well may gear-up for the next run.
Thank you.

Anonymous,  November 30, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Adrienne
Thank you for the post.
I know that was not an easy one to write.
You have stated what I felt since Sarah announced she was not running.
Knowing she is a Christian and puts God and his council
I knew he had closed the door or not opened the door or whatever
metaphor you want to use.
if I might use a metaphor, you hit the nail on the head is stating "she is simply not going to disobey God to please people."
I can not tell you how disappointed i was when she announced she was not running..
However I trust in the Lord and know he sees the big picture and he is in control
so I rest in that and know Sarah does too.
Thank you again for the post a5 C4P.
Lord Bless you
Robin

Adrienne Ross November 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Elizabeth, thanks for commenting. I think Ian did a good job on Cavuto in terms of highlighting Gov. Palin's record and why so many support her.

I respect the quality of the ad also; it would have been the perfect thing to run, in my opinion, before she had announced her decision and asked people to respect it. Everyone is quite passionate about this issue. My desire is that we'll all be able to work hard to further the principles for which the Governor stands.

Keep up the fight!

Anonymous,  December 1, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Thank you, Adrienne. You have put my thoughts on this subject into words better than I could have. Like many others, I was disappointed when Sarah announced she was not running, partly because I was convinced for several reasons that she would be. But I respect her decision and can see a couple reasons why it was the right one.

First, we elect a President, not a King or Dictator. While the office is important, in order to be most effective there needs to be support from the Congress, the states and the people for accomplishing the President's agenda.
It does little good to spend all your political capital to win the election and then find yourself without any reserve to make things happen.

Second, I got the distinct sense during the months leading up to her decision that the majority of the electorate were not ready to get on board with the themes that have marked her political life: limited government, transparency and public service instead of calculating politicians. As the current President is finding out, it is difficult to move a sweeping agenda forward if large segments of the population are against it (think of Obamacare nearly derailed by a single Facebook post from our favorite private citizen).

Third, there's no point in playing a game that's rigged against you from the beginning. When the political class that never wanted her around to begin with started moving up the primary/caucus dates thus leaving her with no time to campaign in those states after an announcement, it was clear the fix was in. Unlike Vegas, the point in politics is to win, not just to have a good time on the way to losing.

As a side note, English was never my favorite subject in school but reading your posts is making me 'Reconsider' that. Keep up the good work.

Elizabeth Hawkes,  December 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Yes, Adrienne, the ad was fantastic...brilliant in fact.