Planned Parenthood Provides Lesson in Komen Controversy

Saturday, February 4, 2012

This week, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the nation’s leading breast cancer charity, came under fire for its decision to defund America’s leading abortion provider, Planned Parenthood. Komen states it made the decision solely based on a new policy not to provide funding for organizations undergoing investigation. Planned Parenthood, no stranger to controversy, is being investigated for its practices and handling of taxpayer money.

Komen has a history of aiding and advancing women’s health since 1982, but that didn’t stop Planned Parenthood and others from publicly criticizing and questioning the motives of the organization that has willingly given to them over the years. This is the thanks they receive, apparently. Most logical people understand that a private charity has a right to do whatever it chooses with its funds. It seems unconscionable that after Komen provided grants to Planned Parenthood in the amount of about $700,000 annually, Planned Parenthood would take it to task for choosing—whatever the reasons are—not to donate at this time. The audacity and sense of entitlement are glaring.

Komen has since reversed its decision, and of course, Planned Parenthood praises the new decision. Isn’t it rather telling that Planned Parenthood accused Komen of denying funds based on supposed political pressure but then lauded Komen’s reversal—a decision which clearly appears to be a response to actual political pressure? Various Democrats publicly came out against Komen, even taking to the House floor to do so. So who exactly is playing politics here? Hopefully, this pressure and its ensuing reversal do not set a precedent for organizations or elected officials strong-arming private organizations.

As controversial as this entire situation has become, there is definitely a lesson to be learned here, and I want to highlight it. Planned Parenthood reportedly was the recipient of an outpouring of public support after Susan G. Komen for the Cure first announced its decision not to fund it. It didn’t take long at all for Planned Parenthood supporters to respond, as they made the decision to give from their own personal finances. This is precisely how these things ought to work. Private charities and willing individuals have every right to give to organizations such as Planned Parenthood. The allocation of federal funds, however, is a different matter entirely.

For years, many Americans have voiced disapproval of their dollars going to Planned Parenthood via the federal government. This is particularly a bone of contention now when America is broke and needs to rein in spending. Every federal dollar counts, and Planned Parenthood has just shown us that it has the means to raise its own money from individuals who choose to give to them, rather than receiving most of its multimillion dollar funding from the U.S. government. Even New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has gotten involved in the situation, pledging to donate and accusing Komen of basing the decision—the decision of how to spend its money—on politics. This is further evidence that there’s no lack of willing financial support. So then why should those whose consciences rail against giving to an organization dogged with too many questions—and too many abortions—be forced to give to Planned Parenthood through their tax dollars?

We all care about women’s health, and we long to see women receiving optimal care. Many are just not totally at peace with some of the practices Planned Parenthood employs and are, therefore, not at peace with giving money to it through federal funding. So where does that leave us? I do believe Planned Parenthood and its supporters--unintentionally, of course--have provided us a lesson on how things should be done.

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

God bless you, my friend!

Nicole Coulter February 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Thank you for writing this, Adrienne. You summed it up beautifully. And you're absolutely right ... the sense of entitlement is glaring.

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I think it is very sad that any organization concerned about cancer..breast cancer or any other cancer, or any life threatening disease would contribute to an organization who ends life.

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

-robertdeannelson@aol.com-

Kimberly Kay February 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Yeah Sarah. Thank your for bringing this to the attention of so many! ~Kimberly

Patrick Mancinetti,  February 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I totally agree with you, Governor! However, this is just one of many politically charged issues that involve something bigger than you and I. PP should be privatized as are all churches and religious entities. I am certainly tired of the 3% abortion argument, while the millions of abortions following RVW are ignored. Would love to be able to assist, but how?

PNewton February 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

TOTALLY AGREE!!
The four difference between the fetus inside and the baby outside.

#1 Size - One is smaller than the other. I guess this means a small person has less rights than a larger person because they are smaller?

#2 Development - One is more developed than the other. A young man of the age of 9 must have less rights as a human than a 21 year old Because he is not fully developed. He has not gone through puberty.

#3 Dependency - One is dependant on its mother and the other isn’t? What about people with diabetes, high blood pressure, or asthma must all have less rights as humans Because they are dependent on medicines.

#4 Placement - One is inside its mother and the other is outside its mother. I suppose someone inside their home less rights than someone outside? What if we leave a restaurant we will be outside, we have changed our placement from inside to outside. Will that make you less of a human? What about if you were in an airplane? You are in the air you are not even on the earth. What about if you had left the state, the country? Would you be less of a human for leaving?

It is a baby who needs our voice for it can not yet speak.

Bonnie,  February 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

its still not simple enough.
I thought Susan Komen used donations for mammograms....the end. Now I'm thinking that they also used it for abortions, is that right?
Now,what do the people that are donating to this organization think that the money is going for? are they being tricked? if not then what is the problem? I dont get it & Im not the only one.

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

How come nobody mentions the fact that abortions can cause breast cancer? Wouldn't that be reason enough for a breast cancer organization to NOT donate to planned parenthood?

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

It should be funded privately. I personally don't want my tax dollar funding the slaughtering of innocent children. If it was going towards health care and birth control for women that's fine. If other people don't mind their money being used to murder children, then they should donate as they wish.

rubegonia February 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

This post has been linked by Governor Sarah Palin via her Feb 4, 2012 Facebook post. Congratulations for your commitment to truth and common sense Adrienne.

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

As a practicing Catholic I agree completely with your take on this. Sarah, keep on speaking the truth and God will continue to bless you and yours.

If you ever come back to the Indianapolis, In. area, feel free to look me up. My husband Randy & I hosted Gov. Daniels' Property Tax Cap Press Conference sponsored by the Indiana Realtors Association right in our front yard of Beech Grove, IN.

Take care and God Bless.
Denise dapd102@sbcglobal.net

Randall R. Kniess February 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I won't trade a boob, for a baby! Susan B. Komen will receive no gifts from my wife and I so long as they are supporters of Planned Parenthood. A baby is far more precious than a breast.

ZuluSeven February 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM

If I had known monies were being given 2 support The (A) Word I'd have never given in the Past.... P.S. Good post Randall R. Kniess...

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

If Komen does not want to fund PP that is ok. We have given to PP, and we decided to not work with Komen anymore.

The issue is the inability of Nancy Brinker & Susan Komen to be honest to all of us.. those who supported them in the past. Tell us that Susan Komen is a pro-life organization. There are enough other organizations that we can support (ex.Rays of Hope).

But also consider that Breast Cancer touches everyone dems or repubs.

It sucks to see an an organization, with a goal of supporting all women, display its political nature so nakedly.

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I agree...great post Govenor Palin...

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Adrienne, thank you for once again using your talent and insight to shed light on a situation clouded by spiritual darkness.

God bless Governor Palin for amplifying this message.

You both know you're speaking for Americans like me who won't be heard by the powers that be, and most of all for the precious babies who'll never have the opportunity to draw a breath or cry for help.

God bless you, my precious sisters.

MaMcGriz

Bruce,  February 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

People forget that there were also people involved in putting pressure on them not to fund PP. So, both were a combination of politics and people. This has no bearing on what Sarah said above. The point is, government should not fund charities, people should. And, I for one will no longer fund PP or SGK. PP will always be just that to me, a bunch of pee-pee.

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

What you don't seem to understand is that the huge outcry did not come from PP, but from people who had wholeheartedly supported SKG over the years, but felt totally betrayed by this action.

You're right that SKG has every right to decide who to give money to or not. And you're right, PP would probably have been just fine. However, it was SKG who finally realized the financial backlash was going to huge. They had corporate sponsors pulling out of events, and individual donors pledging never to give any more money to SKG. In the end SKG realized they had overreached and backtracked.

Adrienne Ross February 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Anonymous @11:41PM: Actually, PP did publicly criticize SGK, but you're right in that the public--and politicians--also complained.

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I agree completely with Sarah and MaMc Griz!

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Good for you, Adrienne - and Sarah Palin, too! Aside from the hideous availability of "abortion on demand," it's galling that US tax dollars go to this purpose - which also goes against the very beliefs of so many Americans!

As for providing mammograms - the "breast cancer screening" role that PP supposedly provided - not too long ago James Keith and the young woman who worked with him to expose ACORN, contacted scores of PP offices throughout the country - to ask/confirm/inquire about whether or not a particular office provided (free) mammograms to uninsured women. Almost 100 percent responded in the negative - i.e., they (Office X of PP) didn't provide the mammogram test, but they referred the person inquiring to a nearby lab/clinic that DID provide that service.

So, if THAT Providing mammograms) is the main purpose/mission of Komen, then they were well within their rights - and commonsense - to NOT fund PP, but to direct their finite dollars to organizations & medical sources that DID provide that vital service. End of story!

susitna-flower February 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Great post Adrienne, you have come a long way baby! Looks like folks are listening, keep it comming!

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The public complained because PP provides much needed preventative health screens and contracepton to women, many of whom have no insurance and nowhere else to go. No, PP does not do mammograms. But docs who are employed by PP do breast exams as part lf the routine physical exam. The first step in detecting breast cancer js the breast exam, not the mammogram. Abortions make up only 3% of what they do. Last I checked abortions were legal. Many hospitals also provide abortion services. Should they stop receiving Fed money as well?

Kim C. February 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Interesting that having babies and nursing reduce ones risk of Breast Cancer... Seems donating to PP goes against the very purpose of SGK!

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Thanks you so much Adrienne for your clarity of thought on this issue that is so in need of the disinfectant of the light of truth!!!

And many thanks as well to Sarah for her being a megaphone to spread your word of truth far and wide through her Facebook posting - and for adding her own incisive insights that get to the nub of the matter in a few brief words, as she is so skilled at doing!!!

It is truly amazing how powerful the truth is when it is spoken plainly and clearly.

Jack C Pickard February 5, 2012 at 2:38 AM

It all saddens me. Komen helped our spirits during my wifes cancer, yet I never knew they supported PP. I am adopted, and PP is an enemy, I will fight against until my last breath. Sorry Komen you picked the wrong side in this fight, the side of right to life is the only moral side, PP doesn't get that and never will because they are evil.

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Well said!!!!!!!!

glegakis February 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM

"Too many abortions?"

How many abortions are acceptable before we reach the invisible demarcation of "too many abortions?

Adrienne Ross February 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM

glegakis, you're so predictable. One is too many, and I think you already know that's where I stand, as do others who are reading this without the agenda to be argumentative and to tear down--something you've taken to lately on Palin-supporting sites.

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The money from Komen donation is solely for cancer screening. The point of contention I see in their backing out of Planned Parenthood agreement is that it is only PP being defunded. Penn State too is under investigation. Their money from Komen was not in jeopardy. While I am not a fan of abortion as contraception, I can see both sides. This donation goes to ensure the needy get adequate cancer screening. Pure and simple. It's like not donating to Ronald McDonald House because the restaurant sells beef. Donations dont go there. Like all grants, money has to have paper trail. Why not have ALL grant recipients show where Komen money has gone?

Adrienne Ross February 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Anonymous on 2/5 @11:00AM, PP is being investigated for not doing the right thing with fed dollars, and they've been flat-out busted for a plethora of vile activities. So excuse me for not believing they're doing the right thing. I do not want my money going to such an organization period. Let private individuals finance it if they choose since PP has boasted that it can raise money easily. I say do it that way then.

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

So, Adrienne....does this mean that with all your saber rattling, do you not realize how hypocritical it sounds? These "vile things" are the very same things for the most part that hospitals who also receive Komen dollars are doing as well. The Government supports a plethora of different charity organizations. Should childrens' charities also suffer? Red Cross? UNICEF? Various Christian ministries? Food Banks? This is a very evil little light you are casting. I am disappointed in you and so called Christians that believe organizations (and government is an organization) shouldn't support all of society. Like any adversity, people aren't going to rush in and help unless something many see as tragic is about to happen. It is Community coming together. I'm sure the crazy Liberals out there would sing the same tune of "Government shouldn't be involved" for their interests. People hear PP and solely focus on the abortion services. That is such a tiny percentage of the organization. Keep the focus on what is at stake. The funding was solely for cancer screening. Do not doom your fellow woman to dying of cancer just because she is poor. THIS is why private donations came in.

Adrienne Ross February 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

It's unfortunate you're disappointed, but you'll just have to be disappointed. Giving federal money to an organization such as PP that is both racist in origin and practice and promotes death is unconscionable. Making taxpayers fund such things against their consciences is unacceptable. Funding an organization that has been busted doing things they shouldn't do is just plain, shall we say, ridiculous. That's my point, and yes, again, that's my point. No apologies.

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I'm not asking for your apologies as I am sure you do not expect mine. This is why America is a great nation. We are entitled to our opinions. I see it as a breast cancer issue, you see it as a baby killing issue. *shrug* Since you have now played the Race Card, may I ask for your logic?

jennie February 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM

The biggest lesson I think that was learned was that Susan G Komen needs a better media relations department! Until I read this article, I had no idea what the basis of their decision was. Everything I read was about it being political and because some people were anti-abortion. Nowhere did I read that it was because they made a decision as an organization not to fund any organization under investigation.

Adrienne Ross February 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Seeing that evidence exists that abortions actually contribute to breast cancer, I'm still not sure how this is even a breast health issue. As for the race card, you must be kidding! It is verifiable, common, and historical knowledge that Margaret Sanger was a racist. Her desire was to eradicate Blacks and others she deemed "unfit." This is not even disputed by anyone. She loved Hitler, and he loved her. And even now about 70+ percent of PP clinics are in Black neighborhoods--by design. This is also verifiable. And PP has been busted taking calls from people who said they wanted to earmark their donation to abort a Black child because those Blacks people need to go, etc, etc. PP was in agreement. So race card? Puhlease! NO. Knowledge? Yes. Hope the truth helps.

Pattie Kelly,  February 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM

This whole issue is disturbing to me. I am a Roman Catholic and all these Obama Care decisions go against the Catholic Faith. The Catholic Faith has opened many Catholic Charity Hospitals. There is no way these hospitals will be forced into doing abortions...hence they will shut down and millions will loose care. Catholic Doctors have said their hands will not be forced to do abortions hence they will close their practice again millions loosing care....nurses whose right of conscience is taken away will no longer work in hospitals if they are forced to partake in abortions...hence millions loosing care. So this Susan G. Komen For The Cure reversal does not surprise me at all. It infuriates me..but it does not surprise me. One will always give into pressure instead of standing up for what is right and just. I as a Catholic so not want my tax dollars funding abortions...if you want to give to Planned Parenthood as an individual or individual charity go for it....just leave MY tax dollars out of it. Mammograms are such a small part of Planned Parenthood...they have no mammogram machines or doctors or nurses to preform mammograms they only make referrals. So how can I trust MY tax dollars going to only mammograms? If you want an abortion PAY FOR IT. Why should I when it's go against my religion to be a part of an abortion. Who is trampling on my religious freedoms? Planned Parenthood is an organization with one agenda in mind...ABORTIONS!!! As Catholics we have a long hard fight ahead of us...but we HAVE to be strong and fight the good fight. And stop once and for all forcing our hands by other organizations and our own government. When Obama said the other day he was a CHRISTIAN...I about broke my TV screen. He has gone to Church only twice these last 3 years and has the nerve to quote scripture? He hasn't a clue what "When Much Is Given...Much Is Expected" means...not taking from the rich and giving to the poor. If he is a Christian I am a monkey. Stand Strong All Americans Who Fight For Religious Freedoms. AND PRAY!!!!

MrSamo February 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I always believed as a businessman that the name of your business depicted the nature of the business. This organization clearly and deliberately deceived from the beginning. They don't help mothers plan for parenthood. They destroy their ability to become parents. For our government to fund and promote this and with unsuspecting taxpayer money is an egregious and unconscionable violation of trust, position and moral responsibility. We should have spoken up strongly years ago, removed the violators and put a stop to it. Because regrettably, I believe it's too late now. People's desire for the almighty dollar today clouds their ability to make the right decision.

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

@ Anonymous, February 5, 2012 11:36 AM
& Anonymous, February 5, 2012 11:57 AM

"I am disappointed in you and so called Christians that believe organizations (and government is an organization) shouldn't support all of society."

Ironic that you should invoke logic while holding the above opinion. "All of society" is a concept, not an entity that exists externally to anyone's consciousness. There are those individuals in society that promote life and the means of sustaining life and those that promote its destruction. The equivocation I quoted above erases the moral distinction between the attributes and actions of different elements in society and demands that organizations (which are merely individuals operating in a voluntary or involuntary cooperative manner) evade or intentionally ignore the moral distinctions between individuals and surrender the product of their mental and physical effort (work) to whatever purpose any who lay claim to them may have.

The rest of your argument is patently incoherent and composed of random talking points, ad hominem, or arbitrary emotionalism.

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Adrienne, nice job and great points, and great follow up comments, specifically the truth about Margaret Sanger. Regards, Laurie

Lipstick,  February 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Exactly why I never have and never will run any race to raise money for Susan Komen.

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Are you aware that SGK herself refused a life saving surgery simply because she didn't want to lose her breast? Apparently she was a model. I just found this out. A little disturbing.

justkimmers,  February 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Planned Parenthood should NOT be funded by Susan G Komen. IF there are NO Mammogram machines and mammo techs on duty.. whats the point then?? As a retired nurse, I can tell you that a medical exam is not anywhere as good as a Mammo screening. IF PP wants to stay in business.. let it come from private funds FOR people with no insurance, who need exams and lab work due to sexually transmitted disease, older women with no insurance who may need to have a hysterectomy soon, and birth control...When a girl/woman is raped there is usually emergent funds through the victims fund of the police dept. to help with anything needed, including counselling. All of this freedom of choice with small and immature minds in society has caused the loss of much of our self=respect and self integrity, that it's cool to be promiscuous, and have baby daddy's that don't care or the gals just go get aborted-AGAIN. Dont get me wrong..I am not for back alley clothes hangers again..ever. But we need to start thinking correctly as a society of doing what's right..and that is..teaching our kids to be better people. The Kardashians and Paris Hiltons of this world have bad reputations NOT good ones.. PP was started to by an evil, hateful woman, with one thing on her mind..and that was to kill the blacks and others of color. What a shameful person she was. Though I DO believe in contraception until one is better able to have a child, I also believe in adoptions as do the many, many couple's hoping to find a baby or child to adopt.
Isn't it something that the ones demanding abortions are the one's who Mom's loved them enough to give them life ??
As for the commments from the obvious non-Christian or non-American and ALWAYS ANONYMOUS..step out of the shadow of which you live and open your heart to realizing we need to change for the better and not by "having to always be hatefully right". America was created with strength of good moral convictions and courage.
America hasn't let us down.. we've allowed ourselves and our kids to let her down.

Sail1993 February 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM

"Komen bowed to political pressure. Then they reversed that decision after bowing to PUBLIC pressure. Big difference.
-robertdeannelson@aol.com-"
Actually Komen bowed to political pressure when it reinstated PP funding. Pressure from the 26 Senators, Mayor Bloomberg and multiple politicians across the country who condemned their decision to not support America's premier baby killers. To the culture of death abortion takes precedence over women's health.

Anonymous,  February 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I agree with Palin's conclusion that the Komen situation proves that Planned Parenthood can be funded privately without using our tax dollars to pay for abortions. Adrienne, thanks for providing a format for common sense to be expressed.

Anonymous,  February 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

First they came for the fetuses....